Quadraphonic set up Will this work.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaMuffinMan

I have a Sanusi QRX 7500 And a Technics SL 1300 MK I turntable. And 4 speakers. I hade several Sq
albums my question is. Will this turntable play these in qs or do I need a different needle? Thanks

Any competent stereo turntable will play SQ and QS LPs. I have an QRX-7001 and I had a QRX-6500, but if I remember correctly your QRX-7500 has a 'Phase Matrix' selection. This was Sansui's way of getting around Sony SQ royalties, but it was a half-decent SQ decoder. You won't get much satisfaction playing an SQ LP through a QS decoder.

Last edited:
Will a Denon DL-110 cartridge work well with this turntable and CD4 records? If not can you please give me some recommendations for a CD4 cartridge?

Will a Denon DL-110 cartridge work well with this turntable and CD4 records? If not can you please give me some recommendations for a CD4 cartridge?

fwiw I tried the DL-110 for CD-4 (after a recommendation from someone over at the SHF) and found it unsuitable (the 30khz light would come on but I don't think that's any guarantee of usefulness tbh?)

tbh I think repeated failed attempts to get the DL-110 to work (possibly tracking excessively heavy and light in the process) have ruined one or two of the inner tracks on my QuadraDiscs as they now distort with the AT440MLb where they didn't prior to me sodding about with the DL-110, so I would say proceed with caution.

just to add, I'm trying out a couple of old CD-4 carts right now but won't recommend either of them to you at this stage.

one is a JVC MD1016B with a 673-DQ aftermarket Shibata stylus.. separation = amazing.. but it needs to be run heavier than I'm comfortable with to keep sandpaper at bay, so in the draw with the other rejects it goes.

the other is an Audio Technica AT15S, a cart QQers who really know their stuff say should be fine, when I get more time I'll be in a position to report back on how I get along with it.

Thank you for the replies. Quadzilla n Fred blue. What turntables are you using?

I have a Rega RP-1 and it plays CD-4 just fine with an AT 440MLB cart. That cart is already discontinued but still available. The VM540ML cartridge is the replacement and should work just as well.

Most likely, any new mid range turntable (like my Rega, Music Hall, Pro-Ject, etc. will work with CD-4. It just needs to have low enough resistance in the tonearm wiring and patch cords.

One thing that may be an issue is lack of a ground wire on my Rega. I have some hum and it may be because my Sansui is "expecting" the turntable to be grounded.

I have a Technics sl 1300 MK will it work with that?

If you are absolutely certain that you want to play CD-4, best bet is to buy the cart you know will work (AT-440). Try it out on your turntable. You will need the cart regardless if your turntable works or not. As others have posted you can already play SQ and QS with what you currently own.

If you are absolutely certain that you want to play CD-4, best bet is to buy the cart you know will work (AT-440). Try it out on your turntable. You will need the cart regardless if your turntable works or not. As others have posted you can already play SQ and QS with what you currently own.
Do you have a sales link for these I am not finding an AT440 but i do find AT440MLB and others.

Do you have a sales link for these I am not finding an AT440 but i do find AT440MLB and others.

the AT440MLb is the cart I've been using for CD-4 with the most pleasing (but still inconsistent) results.
i've had better separation from the old JVC cart but more distortion unless I run it with a lot more tracking force than I'm happy to use.

i know (and respect) that a number of QQ members get great results with CD-4 and modern carts like the 440 but personally it's been a total nightmare, just when it's all setup for extreme separation with one disc and everything's just right, you put on another QuadraDisc and boom - distortion! I'm on my 3rd demodulator, 4th cart and 9th life! :D

the AT440MLb is the cart I've been using for CD-4 with the most pleasing (but still inconsistent) results.
i've had better separation from the old JVC cart but more distortion unless I run it with a lot more tracking force than I'm happy to use.

i know (and respect) that a number of QQ members get great results with CD-4 and modern carts like the 440 but personally it's been a total nightmare, just when it's all setup for extreme separation with one disc and everything's just right, you put on another QuadraDisc and boom - distortion! I'm on my 3rd demodulator, 4th cart and 9th life! :D

Mine is the 440MLB, on the big river shopping site for $199. Maybe you can find cheaper. The demodulator I use is the one internal to the QRX9001/999

So I ended up finding a used SHURE M24H Quadraphonic Cartridge fo $105.00 with a 14 day money back guarantee. It was from an estate sale. We will see. Any thoughts on this cartridge and my Technics SL 1300 MKII?

Oh and I also found a Shure M91ED in the stack of tables I have I did forgot about. gonna hook it up also and see how it sounds compared to my Shure M97xE

So I ended up finding a used SHURE M24H Quadraphonic Cartridge fo $105.00 with a 14 day money back guarantee. It was from an estate sale. We will see. Any thoughts on this cartridge and my Technics SL 1300 MKII?

Oh and I also found a Shure M91ED in the stack of tables I have I did forgot about. gonna hook it up also and see how it sounds compared to my Shure M97xE

M24H is a great cart. Hopefully the stylus is in good shape. That's what I used back in the day and I still have one on my current (non-USB) turntable. However, my demodulator is crap at this point. :(

BTW - The spare stylus (if you can find it) is an N-24H

Back