Edgar Winter's White Trash - Actually Prepared For Japan Release!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steelydave

Super Moderator
Staff member
Since 2002/2003
I'm not sure how this passed me by, but for some reason I thought the only way we knew about the quad mix of Edgar Winter's White Trash was because of the Mike Robin underground reel.

FredBlue recently brought to my attention that it looks like it was set for release in Japan as part of the first wave of CBS/Sony Japanese SQ releases, which I think came out in mid-late 1971, shortly before their US counterparts which started in January 1972. The inner sleeves of this first wave of SQ Quad albums listed all the other releases in the series, with catalog numbers and thumbnail pictures. Here's a close-up picture of the Edgar Winter entry:

edgarwinter_whitetrash.jpg

As you can see, it was even issued a catalog number and everything, so it must have been really close to release.

The 'first wave' releases depicted on the sleeve were as follows:

ECPL-54002 - Tammy Wynette 'We Sure Can Love Each Other'

EPCN-64001 - Chase 'Self-Titled'
EPCN-64002 - Poco 'Deliverin'
EPCN-64003 - Edgar Winter's White Trash 'Self-Titled' [Never Released]

SOPL-34001 - The Byrds 'Byrdmaniax' [Japan-only Release]
SOPL-34002 - Ray Price 'For The Good Times'
SOPL-34003 - Johnny Mathis 'Love Story' [Japan-only Release]
SOPL-34004 - Johnny Cash 'At San Quentin'
SOPL-34005 - Percy Faith 'Romeo & Juliet'
SOPL-34006 - Lynn Anderson 'Rose Garden'
SOPL-34007 - Bloomfield/Kooper/Stills 'Super Session'
SOPL-34008/9 - Miles Davis 'Bitches Brew'

SOPN-44001 - Andy Williams 'You've Got A Friend'
SOPN-44002 - Percy Faith 'Black Magic Woman'
SOPN-44003 - Ray Conniff 'Love Story' [Not pictured on sleeve]
SOPN-44004 - Santana 'Abraxas'
SOPN-44005 - Janis Joplin 'Pearl'
SOPN-44006 - Andy Williams 'Love Story'
SOPN-44007 - The Raiders 'Indian Reservation'
SOPN-44008 - Barbra Streisand 'Stoney End'
SOPN-44009 - Barbra Streisand 'Funny Girl Soundtrack'

The interesting thing is that the next (and final) release sequentially following Edgar Winter was French easy-listening artist Caravelli's "Simon & Garfunkel's Greatest Hits" (EPCN-64004) which must have come out slightly after the first wave of releases. It also has a sleeve with thumbnails and catalog numbers of other SQ Quadraphonic releases, but all reference to Edgar Winter's White Trash has been removed. The decision to scrap White Trash must have been made pretty quickly, because if the Caravelli album was issued very far in to 1972 it would have borne phonographic copyright dates, which it doesn't. So if you collect Japanese quad vinyl and have been wondering why the catalog numbers jump from EPCN-64002 to 64004, it's because of the aborted White Trash release.

FredBlue suggested to me the reason for the cancellation was maybe because they couldn't get the quad mix to encode well in SQ, but I think that it was because by the end of 1971 (when these quad LP's were released) Edgar Winter had already broken up the White Trash group so they weren't an 'active band' any more. By 1972 he'd have started his next group, the one that would release 'They Only Come Out At Night' the same year, and in quad in early '73. It makes you wonder what else CBS mixed for quad between 1968 and 1971 and shelved, because they felt it wasn't 'current' enough by the time they finally started putting out quad releases at the beginning of 1972. Between the Robin reels, SQ sampler LPs, trade advertisements and so on, it seems to indicate that there were more than a few!

Here's to the people in Sony Japan releasing Bitches Brew and all of the goodies that can be released in Quad SACD....

At this stage, I'll expect ANYTHING!!!!

(I was searching some old threads started by Cai and , man would he have had been blown away by ALL the stuff that has been released...since 2008!!!..yes, it's been THAT long!!!)

Just thought I'd add this Edgar Winter listing from Ken Sessions Tab book. As far as it got was a review copy exclusively for Audio magazine (for one).

I suppose both White Trash and Roadwork were scheduled for release, but someone last minute decided otherwise. :rolleyes:

20170719_205313.jpg

It's important to Note that it was the various Record Labels that supplied his quad record listings.

Wow, very interesting! Anything else unreleased listed in that book?

Yes there are a few, not too many actually.

Just off the top of my head there's all 4 Carole King QS quad discs on ODE

and the UK SQ ELO NO ANSWER on EMI/HARVEST and CBS GERMANY SQ of BIRTH CONTROL-HOODOO MAN (unless it exists ?)

I'll peruse it somemore and see what I can find worthwhile, but it won't happen til I'm at home with it, so maybe this weekend.

FWIW: AUDIO MAGAZINE reviewed that Roadwork disc in quad (same # too), with some other quads by Edgar Winter that were released.

Back