The Doors - The Singles (2CD/4.0 Blu-Ray set) coming soon!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just did a side/side listen to Hello I Love you from the AF SACD Quad vs the new Blu-ray version. Woo-hoo! Much more presence, much more warmth, and much more bass. I call that a home run. Wow!

I just did a side/side listen to Hello I Love you from the AF SACD Quad vs the new Blu-ray version. Woo-hoo! Much more presence, much more warmth, and much more bass. I call that a home run. Wow!

And, the dynamic range on the SACD was 9, while the Blu-ray was 13. Maybe there are reasons for this difference, but it sounds good on paper. :)

And, the dynamic range on the SACD was 9, while the Blu-ray was 13. Maybe there are reasons for this difference, but it sounds good on paper. :)

Like I surmised on another thread [or, maybe is was this one]: Was Audio Fidelity delivered the original QUAD master tapes or a dupe to produce their Best of Doors SACD and Rhino kept the original analogue master for themselves....like SONY Japan probably did when producing the Santana Lotus mch SACD and Jeff Beck QUAD SACDs. Hmmmmmmm!

Where's Sherlock Holmes when we need him?:yikes Or Doctor Watson:smokin

According to the official account, the Hoffman crew went to copy the master in cold storage. So perhaps that is one generation right off the bat plus the Hoffman team's "touch" accounts for this perceived difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

According to the official account, the Hoffman crew went to copy the master in cold storage. So perhaps that is one generation right off the bat plus the Hoffman team's "touch" accounts for this perceived difference.

Was this stated over there at the forum in one of those threads "adventures in mastering"? I can't imagine SH using a second gen master especially of the Doors whos management he has a long term relationship with. He's used their first gen masters a few times and is trusted (not like with every label out there).

I believe that the sacd's sound differences is simply his desired warmer touch which has dampened the power and punch of more than a few rock titles he's previously mastered. Even he has said said not everyone agrees with him and his sensibilities when it comes to treble and bass reach.

SH (edited) comment below.

" The QUAD reels we also did (first time) mainly because we couldn't send the analog tapes to Gus, they had to stay at the studio so we gladly did the four channel transfers from analog to high-rez."

The post does not say what high-Rez format was utilized at initial transfer.

Last edited:
Originally i hadn´t planned to buy this one as i already have the AF SACD QUAD.
I have all the albums so i felt it would be enough fo me.

But when i read that the Bluray had better sound than the SACD i couldn´t resist buying this and i am not dissapointed.
I think it is an remarkable improvement on the BD!
As the price for this was so good it wasn´t an big deal.
I will keep the SACD to continue the comparing.
I guess i should listen to the singles also :)

I prefer the sound of the Blu-ray to the SACD as it sounds a bit warmer on my system. Great surround mix, well presented, reasonably priced and no superfluous vinyl. A definite 10. :banana:

It's good to see that I'm not the only one that prefers the SQ of the quad mix from the Best of the Doors Blu-ray when compared to the AF SACD. Below is a post from The Doors - The Singles thread over at AVS.

I just spent about two hours comparing The Best of the Doors quad mixes from the AF SACD and The Singles Blu-ray. One of the first things that stands out is that the Blu-ray is about 5-6 dB louder than the SACD. So when changing HDMI inputs on my XMC-1 which takes about three seconds the volume can be adjusted. I checked and both Oppo players (103 and 105D) have identical settings.

What I found are that the two quad mixes sound quite a bit different. The Blu-ray has a more detailed (brighter to some maybe) but not fatiguing high end. The high end on the SACD is a bit more subdued but still quite accurate. The vocals of the Blu-ray are a touch more recessed than the SACD. The possible reason for this is that the instrumentation is more forward in the mix of the Blu-ray. With the instrumentation more forward in the mix of the Blu-ray it has a more immersive quality over the SACD. I found that the SACD seemed flat at times in regard to the depth, width and height of the sound field. The bass of the Blu-ray also seems a bit more prominent as I switched back and forth between the discs.

As far as which disc I preferred it would probably be the Blu-ray. The immersive quality of the Blu-ray is just better IMO and is the reason why I enjoy multichannel music. I just wish the vocals were a bit louder on the Blu-ray as at times they kind of get lost (slightly). I'm happy to have both discs but more than likely will chose the Blu-ray when listening to the quad mix. I hope others here that own the AF SACD will grab The Singles CD/Blu-ray set and do a comparison as well. I'd like to see what others think and if they have similar thoughts as mine or if theirs are totally different.

Bill

Was this stated over there at the forum in one of those threads "adventures in mastering"? I can't imagine SH using a second gen master especially of the Doors whos management he has a long term relationship with.

It had been stated that the original master was not going out; come and copy it.
It's a digital clone of the master with whatever processes they applied after the fact. It was not an analog copy function so I don't see how it's considered second generation.

They should be the exact same mix, just different mastering. I saw a comparison that the BR has boosted bass/treble when compared to the SACD, which may account for the differences you are hearing, but the same mix.

It's good to see that I'm not the only one that prefers the SQ of the quad mix from the Best of the Doors Blu-ray when compared to the AF SACD. Below is a post from The Doors - The Singles thread over at AVS.

What I found are that the two quad mixes sound quite a bit different. The Blu-ray has a more detailed (brighter to some maybe) but not fatiguing high end. The high end on the SACD is a bit more subdued but still quite accurate. The vocals of the Blu-ray are a touch more recessed than the SACD. The possible reason for this is that the instrumentation is more forward in the mix of the Blu-ray. With the instrumentation more forward in the mix of the Blu-ray it has a more immersive quality over the SACD. I found that the SACD seemed flat at times in regard to the depth, width and height of the sound field. The bass of the Blu-ray also seems a bit more prominent as I switched back and forth between the discs.

As far as which disc I preferred it would probably be the Blu-ray. The immersive quality of the Blu-ray is just better IMO and is the reason why I enjoy multichannel music. I just wish the vocals were a bit louder on the Blu-ray as at times they kind of get lost (slightly). I'm happy to have both discs but more than likely will chose the Blu-ray when listening to the quad mix. I hope others here that own the AF SACD will grab The Singles CD/Blu-ray set and do a comparison as well. I'd like to see what others think and if they have similar thoughts as mine or if theirs are totally different.

Bill

They should be the exact same mix, just different mastering. I saw a comparison that the BR has boosted bass/treble when compared to the SACD, which may account for the differences you are hearing, but the same mix.

Makes sense to me that the vocal would stay out of both the top and low end. So, if both are boosted the vocal might appear lower in amplitude, overall.

It had been stated that the original master was not going out; come and copy it.
It's a digital clone of the master with whatever processes they applied after the fact. It was not an analog copy function so I don't see how it's considered second generation.

No, the original master was going out, but not being sent to Gus in Colo for the quad SACD authoring, they sent him their high-res transfer.. They were able to do the transfer from the original at Steve Marsh's studio. Not sure where you got your info, but there are photographs of the Steves team doing the transfers from the original masters

It was mentioned here in one of the very first posts of 2015 thread I'll find it. Then confirm source.

Thank you very much! Couldn't get there with my phone. So it was an SH saga linked from one of the earliest Doors SACD posts:

A visit to the Doors' Vault is always an adventure, it is freezing in there (I wore two jackets and an overcoat) but we had permission to recompile the 1973 BEST OF track listing from all original first generation tapes, both Quad and stereo so I pulled them all while Kenny (from the Doors office) froze beside me.

During mastering, I concentrated on the stereo stuff first, going not in order, but from non-Dolby titles to Dolby A titles. Stephen Marsh is an expert in making 50 year old Dolby tapes play back correctly and we got everything transferred to perfection before lunch (having done my actual mastering homework the week before). The QUAD reels we also did (first time) mainly because we couldn't send the analog

================================
My read of that at the time was the transfer work was done there at the cold room. Specifically look at these two sets of words:

> Kenny (Doors office) froze beside me.

> During mastering,

If information later appeared with details about what transpired in between (moving location from cold room to a studio elsewhere) I apparently missed the memo.

Thank you very much! Couldn't get there with my phone. So it was an SH saga linked from one of the earliest Doors SACD posts:

A visit to the Doors' Vault is always an adventure, it is freezing in there (I wore two jackets and an overcoat) but we had permission to recompile the 1973 BEST OF track listing from all original first generation tapes, both Quad and stereo so I pulled them all while Kenny (from the Doors office) froze beside me.

During mastering, I concentrated on the stereo stuff first, going not in order, but from non-Dolby titles to Dolby A titles. Stephen Marsh is an expert in making 50 year old Dolby tapes play back correctly and we got everything transferred to perfection before lunch (having done my actual mastering homework the week before). The QUAD reels we also did (first time) mainly because we couldn't send the analog

================================
My read of that at the time was the transfer work was done there at the cold room. Specifically look at these two sets of words:

> Kenny (Doors office) froze beside me.

> During mastering,

If information later appeared with details about what transpired in between (moving location from cold room to a studio elsewhere) I apparently missed the memo.
Well, yes, I guess you did miss the memo. No not really.

But here is the darn master tape box next to Steve at the console at Steven Marsh Mastering, not Doors vault. See post #54

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...ty-sacd-adventures-in-mastering.428601/page-3

Without starting an official QQShitStorm(R), could the difference be due to the conversion to DSD for the SACD??? :couch

Back