The Doors - The Singles (2CD/4.0 Blu-Ray set) coming soon!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used foobar2000 to resample both to the same rate. I'd be surprised if it makes an audible difference, but it is possible. Bottom line, you hear what you hear, and many factors could be in play.

Perception is a personal reality. Trust your ears. :)

pretty much what I'm hearing (definately more low end <500Hz on the blu) but I would have thought the purple SCAD would have taken over at the 500Hz - 20000Hz zone because riders (on the SACD) definitely has some high notes that the blu doesn't capture

you say the tracks are resampled at 96kHz, not sure how you went about it but could this account for the differences I'm hearing?

96kHz is definitely not 88.2kHz

When I listen to the SACD, I listen to DSD, not converted PCM. Some say there's no difference. I'm not one of them. The key is to not use bass management or room correction so that it stays at DSD to analog conversion. I would think your conversion (graph) would be a bit off too.

Thanks, you raise an interesting point. I think I understand what you're saying about how you listen to DSD. You're essentionally using "pure" mode with no intentional filtering. After the DSD is converted to analog in your setup, each channel (L/C/R/LS/RS/LFE) is sent directly to its associated amp, then via speaker/room acoustics to your ears.

The spectrum plots were created in a similar way - no frequency filtering, only format and sample-rate conversion prior to signal analysis.

What does Audacity's spectrum plot (frequency analysis) represent? It shows the relative level of musical content vs. frequency, calculated by an FFT-based algorithm, averaged over a specific segment (109 secs) of the song. Comparing graphs, you can see that the Blu-Ray has more content at low and high frequencies relative to the SACD.

The relative difference in content vs. frequency implies different mastering filters for each, if we assume the same mix.

When I listen to the SACD, I listen to DSD, not converted PCM. Some say there's no difference. I'm not one of them. The key is to not use bass management or room correction so that it stays at DSD to analog conversion. I would think your conversion (graph) would be a bit off too.

Could it be that AF is more midrange focused? I know Steve Hoffman is very keen on the midrange part, could it be that simple that the bluray is more bassy and trebly at the expense of the midrange? I have only heard the AF but I think it sounds very natural and good. Looking forward to the bluray.

Like many, I prefer the Blu-Ray. It has better bass and apparent improved clarity.

To quantify what I was hearing, I used Audacity to compare the frequency content of Riders on the Storm. The graph below is a normalized composite with results from each format. Audacity doesn't provide this comparison directly.

The plot explains at least some of the audible differences. Observe the additional low and high frequency content in the Blu-Ray, relative to the SACD.

There may be other factors at play (sample rate for example), but this frequency content difference is big.

Spectrum-_Compare.jpg

You can plot a graph like that in Audacity? If so....badass man. :)

Almost.....

I did each spectral plot individually in Audacity, grabbed a screen capture, then used Photoshop to merge the graphs on a common axis and normalize to the same 1 kHz level.

There's probably an easier way, but this was my first attempt. :burnout

You can plot a graph like that in Audacity? If so....badass man. :)

If Rhino can keep this up and produce Blu-Ray Audio discs of the four Doobie Brothers' Quadraphonic mixes next year, I will be a very happy camper!

:)

ForagingRhino: I hope you see there a a lot of us hoping for a "Quadio" box set from Rhino of the four Doobie Brother albums in quad, including the rumoured fifth album never released on DVD-Audio !!

ForagingRhino: I hope you see there a a lot of us hoping for a "Quadio" box set from Rhino of the four Doobie Brother albums in quad, including the rumoured fifth album never released on DVD-Audio !!

I will buy it, and I am not a Doobie fan. I wasn't a Chicago fan either, but the Quadio set converted me.

Heck yeah! ! I grew up on the Doobies. I'd be all over a Quadio box set of their music.

Bring it on! :cool:

Heck yeah! ! I grew up on the Doobies. I'd be all over a Quadio box set of their music.

Bring it on! :cool:

love these albums and they're absolutely superb Quad mixes! "..Vices" has tracks with the most fun use of surround (Black Water, Road Angel = demo worthy) but they're all excellent in Quad, easily some of the
best Rock Quads ever! :banana:

This Doors Blu Ray is off the charts great, wonderful sound quality, the best I've heard these tracks ever sound!! 10/10!!!

I finally received my 3 disc set today. Am currently spinning the MONO RBCD mixes....I'll save the best for last later this evening [the BD~A].

I'm curious as to whether Bruce Botnick ever remixed The Doors Absolutely Live [2 disc set] into 5.1? I know I read it somewhere. Does anyone have any info regarding this?

UGH! I ran into trouble with Bull Moose with my order, that I've had in place since the day this was announced. Long story short, I totally thought that Bull Moose immediately charged your credit card upon order. When I ordered, I still had another month left on my Visa card (before expiration date).

A week ago, they told me they were shipping my disc and so I waited.....waited.....nothing. I email them back, and I'm told my card was declined. About 15 days ago, I had received a new Visa, but I failed to update Bull Moose preferences. Soooooo......

Anyway - so I guess Bull Moose doesn't charge until they ship. Which is news to me. I got annoyed as I've been waiting, so I canceled my order and ordered from Amazon. I will have it tomorrow.

I prefer the sound of the Blu-ray to the SACD as it sounds a bit warmer on my system. Great surround mix, well presented, reasonably priced and no superfluous vinyl. A definite 10. :banana:

I finally received my 3 disc set today. Am currently spinning the MONO RBCD mixes....I'll save the best for last later this evening [the BD~A].

I'm curious as to whether Bruce Botnick ever remixed The Doors Absolutely Live [2 disc set] into 5.1? I know I read it somewhere. Does anyone have any info regarding this?

I think I read that that album would not ever be presented again as an album because it's stitched together from various elements which each might deserve their own volume complete or remixed.

In other words it used various concerts and was not honestly stated as such.

It's a Frankenstein-stitch-comp right?

UGH! I ran into trouble with Bull Moose with my order, that I've had in place since the day this was announced. Long story short, I totally thought that Bull Moose immediately charged your credit card upon order. When I ordered, I still had another month left on my Visa card (before expiration date).

A week ago, they told me they were shipping my disc and so I waited.....waited.....nothing. I email them back, and I'm told my card was declined. About 15 days ago, I had received a new Visa, but I failed to update Bull Moose preferences. Soooooo......

Anyway - so I guess Bull Moose doesn't charge until they ship. Which is news to me. I got annoyed as I've been waiting, so I canceled my order and ordered from Amazon. I will have it tomorrow.

Do many retailers charge before they ship? In my experience most wait until shipment, Amazon included.

Absolutely Live is a wonderful compilation of live shows that in years since, have been released, some in near complete form. Represented here by Who Do You Love from Philadelphia. Bruce Botnick confirmed in liner notes that Live at the Aquarius was mixed to 5.1 and sitting on the shelf.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back