Carole King's "Tapestry" - Sony Japan Multichannel SACD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got mine today. Had to go sign for it, because I wasn't home when the mail came. Same safe shipping from CDJapan. Large, oversized box. Worked well.

Here are some quick iPhone pictures. As usual, the packaging is great. I love the old ODE 70 logo, just like on my original Tapestry LP from way back when.
No, I haven't listened yet, but honestly, I would not be surprised that it's not the exact same 5.1 mix from the previous Sony SACD.

Tapestry 1.jpg
Tapestry 2.jpg
Tapestry 3.jpg
Tapestry 4.jpg

Bummer, Mark. I was so looking forward to an improvement over the 00 SONY 5.1 release and with technology being what it is, your initial 'reaction' doesn't sound promising.

This will be the fourth hi res release of Tapestry [counting MoFi's Stereo SACD and NOT counting downloads] and although mine's en route from CDJapan, I was really hoping for a miracle.

When you finish auditioning it, Mark, would really appreciate a full evaluation.

I've heard the Q8, the CD-4 LP, and the Sony original 5.1 SACD and I have to say I really have never been impressed with any surround version of Tapestry. You have to figure that the original masters are not very discrete to begin with. They probably have multiple tracks that were mixed then the source tracks tossed because in 1970 that's about what they did. Probably the only reason there was a Q8 and Quad LP (in Japan) was because this was such a big selling album. At one point (until DSOTM), it was the largest selling album of all time.

Face it, we're never going to hear Joni and James solo in the rears because those vocals were probably mixed together and blended with Carole's vocals a long time ago and pulling them apart is pretty much near impossible, so a restrained 5.1 mix is probably all we'll ever get on this one.

That being said, I will check this one out soon. Here is another album that I loved at one time but have not listened to in at least 15 years. Music burn-out is a big factor in what I listen to these days. I think it's a function of getting old. :phones

I've heard the Q8, the CD-4 LP, and the Sony original 5.1 SACD and I have to say I really have never been impressed with any surround version of Tapestry. You have to figure that the original masters are not very discrete to begin with. They probably have multiple tracks that were mixed then the source tracks tossed because in 1970 that's about what they did. Probably the only reason there was a Q8 and Quad LP (in Japan) was because this was such a big selling album. At one point (until DSOTM), it was the largest selling album of all time.

Face it, we're never going to hear Joni and James solo in the rears because those vocals were probably mixed together and blended with Carole's vocals a long time ago and pulling them apart is pretty much near impossible, so a restrained 5.1 mix is probably all we'll ever get on this one.

That being said, I will check this one out soon. Here is another album that I loved at one time but have not listened to in at least 15 years. Music burn-out is a big factor in what I listen to these days. I think it's a function of getting old. :phones

You're probably right, Jon. I just had high hopes for a 'minor' increase in resolution, etc., since Tapestry was somewhat of an audiophile 'darling' on vinyl [in stereo].

But I do revisit the album occasionally and played at a robust volume it still has a spark and vitality sadly absent from a LOT of today's music. EVERY song was [is] special with absolutely [IMO] NO FILLER!

BTW, Jon, sadly missing from the actual SACD itself and outer packaging is the SQ QUADRAPHONIC logo. Says stereo on the disc [with mch 5.1 in small print]. :yikes

You're probably right, Jon. I just had high hopes for a 'minor' increase in resolution, etc., since Tapestry was somewhat of an audiophile 'darling' on vinyl [in stereo].

But I do revisit the album occasionally and played at a robust volume it still has a spark and vitality sadly absent from a LOT of today's music. EVERY song was [is] special with absolutely [IMO] NO FILLER!

I agree with you 100% on everything you said. Every tune I can play in my head start to finish. Actually, I love all of her ODE albums. "Writer" is like Tapestry, version 1, and that is my second favorite ODE release. An album missed by many.

.......BTW, Jon, sadly missing from the actual SACD itself and outer packaging is the SQ QUADRAPHONIC logo. Says stereo on the disc [with mch 5.1 in small print].....

There never was an 'SQ' Tapestry. The only Tapestry LP was the CD-4 Japanese release from KING RECORDS. So, no SQ logo! ;)

I agree with you 100% on everything you said. Every tune I can play in my head start to finish. Actually, I love all of her ODE albums. "Writer" is like Tapestry, version 1, and that is my second favorite ODE release. An album missed by many.

Writer is indeed excellent but why SONY Japan didn't release King's three other 4.0 ODE albums in QUAD [Fantasy, Rhymes and Reasons and Music] is the bigger mystery.

Writer is indeed excellent but why SONY Japan didn't release King's three other ODE albums in QUAD [Fantasy, Rhymes and Reasons and ] is the bigger mystery.

"Music". Maybe they will, but it seems that Sony only acknowledges that she made "Tapestry". Her other albums seem not to count. (Check out her "Greatest Hits" compilations. They are all of Tapestry with a few other singles thrown in)

"Music". Maybe they will, but it seems that Sony only acknowledges that she made "Tapestry". Her other albums seem not to count. (Check out her "Greatest Hits" compilations. They are all of Tapestry with a few other singles thrown in)

Jon, do you have the SQ QUAD vinyl of Rhymes & Reasons, Music and Fantasy.....and if so, how do they sound [any discrete info]?

Jon, do you have the SQ QUAD vinyl of Rhymes & Reasons, Music and Fantasy.....and if so, how do they sound [any discrete info]?

No SQ for either of those. "Music" was the only official US Quad LP from CK, and it was QS (QS in Japan too). The LP had an inner sleeve showing the locations of all of the instruments. Even though I had a QRX-999 with VarioMatrix back then, it never struck me as a great surround mix. The Q8 was about the same. "Fantasy" was released in the US on Q8 only, but in Japan it was also available as a CD-4 LP. "Rhymes and Reasons" was Q8 only in the US. No quad anywhere else.

All of CK's quads were pretty tame. Sad to say, there are no missing surround gems among all of her releases. I seem to remember "Corazón" and "Haywood" from "Fantasy" were fairly good quad, but nothing stands out that I recall.

Sorry.

Well I have listened. I am not a Carole King fan as it was never enough for me that said I do appreciate one of the top 500 albums of all time. As Jon showed the packaging is super great even tough I felt the cover was a little off color wise, the recent MOFI is better. All you need is here,lyrics, etc. There are two previously unreleased bonus tracks, I assume for the first time with this Japanese release?
I have the stereo MOFI release and it sounds great as almost all MOFI 's do.
I wish I knew this music a little better like I do The Jeff Beck's but my initial reaction is I am listening to a pretty good mix. Her vocals start track 1 front right but by track 5 they are front center. When there are no vocals the mix actually sounds really good. The warmth, bass, midrange, and treble all sounds good to me.
In the end I like it and I would recommend to anyone who likes this easy listening music. If you want to turn it on and walk away then I believe the stereo MOFI version is better for that.
For serious sit and listen to 5.1 I think most will like it. I believe most will vote an 8 when the poll opens. I also think this wil be one of those discs where others will say "sounds great if you turn up/turn down those speakers.
There is no problem hearing the occasional background vocals, Merry Clayton, (James Talylor rear left on Will You Love Me Tomorrow) etc.
In the end I would recommend you purchase this new release. My official statement is, It's a pretty good 5.1 disc that I am satisfied with.

I have the older 5.1 SACD (2000?). To me, it sounds pretty good. The recording shows it's age, like Pet Sounds, Cash live at Folsom Prison, Cheap Thrills or Sinatra at the Sands, IMO. Still, it's pretty damn good. Not uber-discrete, but respectfully surroundy. I like it. It's a keeper and will remain in rotation.

I have the older 5.1 SACD (2000?). To me, it sounds pretty good. The recording shows it's age, like Pet Sounds, Cash live at Folsom Prison, Cheap Thrills or Sinatra at the Sands, IMO. Still, it's pretty damn good. Not uber-discrete, but respectfully surroundy. I like it. It's a keeper and will remain in rotation.

I agree...it has flaws...but the content is excellent and IMO it's the best available sound quality for this album...I can't speak about vinyl...but in the disc realm I haven't found anything better..

I ripped this "new" SACD using the Oppo method, and got the files in Sound Forge. They ended up being 24/88 out of the Oppo .ISO and through Foobar conversion to .flac.

It's clearly the original 5.1 mix. It's not double stereo by any stretch, but it's a weird mix to me. The center channel is basically the Bass Guitar of Charles Larkey, and if you wanted to hear exactly how he plays each tune, the center channel is your friend. Carole's vocal is echo'd in there, but it's mostly the bass part.

The background vocals are skewed toward the rears, but they also exist in the fronts. Carole's vocals are everywhere, so she's virtual center of the room. In the rears, she almost over powers the chorus singers if you solo the channels, so you'd have to say the mix skews towards a non-discrete mix, but listening at full volume with all channels active the background vocals do stay to the rear direction.

So, it's not a "Columbia Q8" type mix by any stretch of the imagination, but it's not horrible. It sounds great as music, so if you like this and don't have it yet, this release is probably worth it for ya'.

Here's a peek at the wav's for "Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow". Still not sure why they put the bass in the center channel! :confused:

CK-WYSLMT.jpg

I ripped this "new" SACD using the Oppo method, and got the files in Sound Forge. They ended up being 24/88 out of the Oppo .ISO and through Foobar conversion to .flac.

It's clearly the original 5.1 mix. It's not double stereo by any stretch, but it's a weird mix to me. The center channel is basically the Bass Guitar of Charles Larkey, and if you wanted to hear exactly how he plays each tune, the center channel is your friend. Carole's vocal is echo'd in there, but it's mostly the bass part.

The background vocals are skewed toward the rears, but they also exist in the fronts. Carole's vocals are everywhere, so she's virtual center of the room. In the rears, she almost over powers the chorus singers if you solo the channels, so you'd have to say the mix skews towards a non-discrete mix, but listening at full volume with all channels active the background vocals do stay to the rear direction.

So, it's not a "Columbia Q8" type mix by any stretch of the imagination, but it's not horrible. It sounds great as music, so if you like this and don't have it yet, this release is probably worth it for ya'.

Here's a peek at the wav's for "Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow". Still not sure why they put the bass in the center channel! :confused:

View attachment 30775

Thanks Jon for posting the scan and reaffirming that it's the 00 SONY SACD.

Perhaps Tapestry should've remained QUAD with the phantom center primarily carrying the vocals.

I was really hoping that 2017 mastering could coax minor upgrades from those ODE master tapes but such is NOT the case.

And coming hot on the heels of the exact same 5.1 remaster as the Hong Kong Tapestry SACD [which is significantly cheaper] what we're really getting is lots of pretty packaging.

And you and I both agree....what we really need are the three unreleased CK QUADS reissued on mch SACD....and if SONY can't be bothered...license them to Dutton Vocalion whom I'm sure would be more than willing to accommodate them....and do US a favor in the process.

Addenda: I just emailed Michael S. Dutton and put in a request that he consider issuing Carole King's Music, Fantasy and Rhymes and Reasons as QUAD SACDs [and for some more CTI Quad albums as well]. Hopefully, other QQ posters will do the same.

It's the same 5.1 mix and mastering as the original Tapestry Surround Sound SACD from Sony Music US.[/QUOTE

Is it my imagination or does this new SONY Japan remaster sound better [not significantly] than the 00 single layered SACD?

I thought the vocals were more pronounced [especially on So Far Away] and there was indeed less background noise [hiss] than on the original SACD....and certainly more bass.

I just got the disc from Japan and my first impression is that it sounds very good compared to the cdversion.
I haven´t gone into detail yet but i definitely think that the album works with this surround version.
There is propably things, like many here have written, that should have been done in an better way but i feel happy with having my first version of this in surround.
Also i like to get the package in that bigger vinyl singel format.

Last edited:
Back