Carole King's "Tapestry" - Sony Japan Multichannel SACD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sony says it is Hybrid Multichannel:

By the way, here is the Amazon Japan link:

https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B0733TC449/?language=en_US

【Full production limited edition】
¥ 4,536 (tax included)
POINT: [Normal Points] 1.0% points earned!
RELEASE DATE: 2017/09/06
NUMBER: SICP-10120
LABEL: Sony Records International

Product specification
【Full production limited edition】
■ 7 inch paper jacket & SACD hybrid board (= SA-CD 5.1 ch, SA-CD 2 ch, CD)
※ It will end as soon as stock runs out. Please purchase as soon as possible.
Product content
Released timeless daimyo board 'Tsuberetomi' on 7 inch paper jacket & SACD multi-hybrid board

● Born February 9, 1942 in NY. In the 1960s he worked as a songwriter. In combination with Jerry Gofin, he creates a number of works that have been singing since late, such as "Roco Motion", "Will You Love Me Tomorrow", "One Fine Day". In the four years from 60 years to 63 years, we will send over 20 songs top 40 hits to the world in this combination. In 1970 he started his solo career full-scale with "writer". "Tapestry" announced in the following 71 years became a worldwide hit and earned the reputation as a female singer / songwriter first person. Since then many releases have been released. At the age of 75, I am continuing my personal activities.
● "Tapestry" announced in 1971 won 1st place in the Bill Boat chart for 15 weeks, recorded more than 20 million cellos, received 4 Grammy Awards. Pop songs that remain in the history of rock / pops which contains famous songs that are still singing, such as "So Far Away", "It's Too Late", "Your Friends". This work releases its Daimyoboard on 7-inch paper jacket & SACD hybrid board (= SA-CD 5.1 ch, SA-CD 2 ch, CD).

【完全生産限定盤】
¥ 4,536(税込)
POINT : [通常ポイント]1.0%ポイント獲得!
RELEASE DATE : 2017/09/06
NUMBER : SICP-10120
LABEL : ソニーレコーズ インターナショナル

商品仕様
【完全生産限定盤】
■7インチ紙ジャケ&SACDハイブリット盤(=SA-CD 5.1ch, SA-CD 2ch, CD)
※在庫がなくなり次第終了となります。お早めにお買い求め下さい。
商品内容
不朽の大名盤「つづれおり」を7インチ紙ジャケ&SACDマルチ・ハイブリッド盤で発売

●1942年2月9日NY生まれ。60年代にはソング・ライターとして活躍。ジェリー・ゴフィンとのコンビで 「ロコ・モーション」、「ウィル・ユー・ラヴ・ミー・トゥモロウ」、「ワン・ファイン・デイ」など、後々まで歌い継がれている数々の作品を生み出す。60年から63年にかけての4年間で、このコンビで延べ20曲以上の全米トップ40ヒットを世に送り出す。70年に『ライター』で本格的にソロ活動をスタート。翌71年発表された『つづれおり』は世界的な大ヒットとなり、女性シンガー・ソングライターの第一者としての名声を獲得。以後も数々の名盤をリリース。75歳となった現在は、マイペースな活動を続けている。
●1971年発表の『つづれおり』はビルボート・チャートで15週間1位を獲得、2000万枚以上のセルースを記録、グラミー賞4部門受賞。「ソー・ファー・アウェイ」「イッツ・トゥー・レイト」「君の友だち」など、今でも歌い継がれている名曲が収録されているロック/ポップス史上に残る大名盤。本作はその大名盤を7インチ紙ジャケ&SACDハイブリット盤(=SA-CD 5.1ch, SA-CD 2ch, CD)で発売するもの。

^^^^^

A bit lost in translation here.
Reference that famous hit by Little Eva "Roco Motion."

At least Carole's didn't become "It's Too Rate.";)

Well, it is a song title in English, transliterated to Japanese, which is then Google-translated to English, so there's a few lingual hoops to jump through. My Japanese is non-existent, so unless someone else is bilingual, we will have to make do with things like the "Bill Boat chart". :)

Still, the vital information is fairly clear: This will be a Hybrid Stereo/Multichannel SACD in Mini-LP packaging, similar to the Jeff Beck and Santana releases from Sony Japan. It's also in the same SICP-10xxx product series as those (and many other) releases.

Let's not forget that Tapestry recorded more than 20 million cellos.

That's a whole lotta Yo-Yo Mas right there. ;)

So...cutting through all the jargon. I have the SACD. Do I care about this? Or is it pretty much redundant?

I have the original Tapestry from SONY with the bonus cuts. Of course, if you like the fancy 7" packaging that accompanied the BECK and LOTUS SACDs [and who doesn't] the temptation is there to double dip. Of course, in my mind's eye, re~releasing a multichannel SACD of Tapestry for a third time means it could've been an unreleased Santana QUAD SACD [wishful thinking?].

I DO LOVE Tapestry and based on Sony Japan's track record with the BECK SACDs.......could it be THAT MUCH BETTER?

Without having a copy of this newly remastered SACD in my collection......I'll NEVER know....will I?

I know I'll probably break down and BUY IT!:banana:

So...cutting through all the jargon. I have the SACD. Do I care about this? Or is it pretty much redundant?

We won't know until it comes out - and we see whether this is another Multichannel SACD editon of Tapestry using the prior DSD Surround Tracks.
Or a new transfer.

Stay tuned....

I didn't see a dedicated thread for Tapestry so I will post it here...for those that are hesitant about ordering from CDJapan...a familiar vendor will also offer it(and when the time comes I'm confident that Bridge will be offered as well) HERE

You will notice a little earlier release date...

I didn't see a dedicated thread for Tapestry so I will post it here...for those that are hesitant about ordering from CDJapan...a familiar vendor will also offer it(and when the time comes I'm confident that Bridge will be offered as well) HERE

You will notice a little earlier release date...

I always commented on the 'cheaper' prices offered by ImportCD but with their $3 s/h charge [for the first disc] and applicable sales tax [for some purchasers] CDJapan's price with basic SAL s/h is on par with that of ImportCD. Plus, ImportCD and their sister store Deep Discount usually don't get a supply of these Japanese SACDs at the same time CDJapan does so don't be fooled by the earlier release date implied by ImportCD.

But, you're correct, Clint....it IS an option for those who don't want to purchase these discs from overseas.

We won't know until it comes out - and we see whether this is another Multichannel SACD editon of Tapestry using the prior DSD Surround Tracks.
Or a new transfer.

Stay tuned....

My hope is that with all the fuss surrounding Tapestry with the 7" custom packaging and hot on the heels of the very recently released SONY Hong Kong version [pressed in the EU], that SONY felt they had an edge on the original SONY SACD and the Hong Kong version or else, why bother. IMO, the Jeff Beck SONY Japan QUADs did sound significantly better than any previous Beck QUAD releases and I can surely say that Sony Japan's version of LOTUS comfortably exceeded AF's recent SACD stereo remaster.

Fingers crossed as I did state that Tapestry was considered somewhat of an 'audiophile' darling on vinyl with pricey 180/200g pressings prized by collectors and has also had a MoFi Stereo SACD remaster as well. Perhaps Brian can comment on the MoFi SACD as he certainly has the system to make that assessment.

Perhaps [and that's a BIG perhaps] SONY Japan replicated this new remaster in QUAD DSD from Tapestry's first generation QUAD master........but we'll never know!

Like many others I also contacted CDJapan about both releases and Tapestry is NOT a multi-channel release...

They have recently changed the description to include (SACD 5.1ch, SACD 2ch, CD). For this and Bridge over Troubled Water.

I preordered this one and Simon & Garfunkel's. If that doesn't turn to be true, I'll cancel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I always commented on the 'cheaper' prices offered by ImportCD but with their $3 s/h charge [for the first disc] and applicable sales tax [for some purchasers] CDJapan's price with basic SAL s/h is on par with that of ImportCD. Plus, ImportCD and their sister store Deep Discount usually don't get a supply of these Japanese SACDs at the same time CDJapan does so don't be fooled by the earlier release date implied by ImportCD.

But, you're correct, Clint....it IS an option for those who don't want to purchase these discs from overseas.

Both places have their pros and cons...I always select airmail when I order from CDJapan...it's 750 yen(right now around $6.85)but they make up for it with superior packaging and it arrives between 7 and 10 days....an area where ImportCd is lacking is the packaging..if the disc is in a cardboard sleeve...no problem...but jewel cases are so easy to crack or break...

In the case of Tapestry...my cost with CDJapan would be $38.28 + $6.85(air mail shipping)=$45.13...ImportCD's price would be $40.79+$2.99(shipping)+$2.63(tax)=$46.41...BUT in this case I have a $5.00 discount to apply to ImportCD's cost(by merely leaving something in my cart)which brings it down to $41.41....sometimes I have points with CDJapan....so in the end it's all about choices...some people prefer having their item shipped within the United States...others don't care...one has better shipping containers...the other offers discounts more often...

I'm very happy with my surround version of Tapestry..I gave it a 9 on the poll...the major complaint on this disc has been the sound of the vocals could have been better...some say the microphones they used were sub par..and if the problems are inherent in the original recording it's unlikely that any revisions in a new offering could fix it...if it is a multi channel release I suspect that it would be a reissue of the same version...so nothing for me to gain...and like I said...I'm happy with the current edition..

Now Bridge is a different matter...I will be interested in any SACD version of that title...regardless of if it's just stereo...just in the hopes that the sound quality is better than existing CD versions...

I would say this to anyone who has never ordered from CDJapan....it's been excellent for me...I would recommend them to anyone(and I have)..

If the MCH Tapestry SACD from Hong Kong is cheaper than the MCH Tapestry SACD from Japan and one doesn't care about packaging, any reason to not go with the HK disc?

Depends on whether or not they are from the same tapes, transfers and mastering.
Until the two Tapestry Surround SACDs from Sony Music HK and Sony Music Japan are released, there is no way to know that.

Given past history, I'd go with the one from Sony Music Japan when it comes to sound quality if you have to decide today.

Back