Carole King's "Tapestry" - Sony Japan Multichannel SACD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Darn, that's not what I was hoping to hear, lol.

Thanks for the honesty tho!

It's odd speculation to suggest two Sony SACDs could or would be from different masters. This is not how it's been in the past. Much more likely that they are clones.

It's odd speculation to suggest two Sony SACDs could or would be from different masters. This is not how it's been in the past. Much more likely that they are clones.

Not necessarily.
In the case of Blow by Blow, when Sony Japan reissued it in Surround SACD they fixed the out of phase problem with the earlier release.

If they had simply "cloned" it, the phase issue would have remained.

is there any slim chance the upcoming Japanese release could include the Quad rather than 5.1 remix?
i've never heard the Quad but its rep isn't the best iirc.

is there any slim chance the upcoming Japanese release could include the Quad rather than 5.1 remix?
i've never heard the Quad but its rep isn't the best iirc.

No chance Adam...it clears states 5.1 and it also indicates it's a REISSUE...in this case I don't think it's been remastered either...just the same as the previous release...IMO...you see that on CDJapan a lot...they have a whole series that is re-issued at times...

No chance Adam...it clearly states 5.1 and it also indicates it's a REISSUE...in this case I don't think it's been remastered either...just the same as the previous release...IMO...you see that on CDJapan a lot...they have a whole series that is re-issued at times...

You're probably correct, Clint but since the original was issued in early 00, I'm hoping for a little more clarity and oomph with the latest 2017 mastering process. Heck, even MoFi has upped the ante with DSD 264 [QUAD] remastering of older analogue tapes [and IMO, it HAS improved] so who really knows. I hate to think we're just paying way more $$$ for the 7" custom packaging since the original 00 5.1 SACD probably costs me $15 or less back then.

Last edited:
You're probably correct, Clint but since the original was issued in early 00, I'm hoping for a little more clarity and oomph with the latest 2017 mastering process. Heck, even MoFi has upped the ante with DSD 264 [QUAD] remastering of older analogue tapes [and IMO, it HAS improved] so who really knows. I hate to think we're just paying way more $$$ for the 7" custom packaging since the original 00 5.1 SACD probably costs $15 back then.

We will see.

Sony Japan now has a Pyramix Horus mastering setup that supports DSD128 and DSD256 which was used on the Santana Lotus Surround SACD and DSD 256 Stereo Downloads released earlier this year.
Whether Tapestry or Bridge Over Troubled Water is transferred on the new system remains to be seen and heard when these new Surround Sound SACDs hit the market.

We will see.

Sony Japan now has a Pyramix Horus mastering setup that supports DSD128 and DSD256 which was used on the Santana Lotus Surround SACD and DSD 256 Stereo Downloads released earlier this year.
Whether Tapestry or Bridge Over Troubled Water is transferred on the new system remains to be seen and heard when these new Surround Sound SACDs hit the market.

IMO, why wouldn't both be remastered on this new system especially since they're both very high profile releases.....and the 7" custom packaging would also indicate SONY Japan is going all out for making them somewhat definitive.....but I could be wrong.

Not necessarily.
In the case of Blow by Blow, when Sony Japan reissued it in Surround SACD they fixed the out of phase problem with the earlier release.

If they had simply "cloned" it, the phase issue would have remained.

That's incorrect, the Japanese version of Blow By Blow was identical to the earlier Sony US version - both rear channels and the LFE were out of phase. The 2016 AP version corrected the out of phase issue with the rear channels, but the LFE is still out of phase.

I suspect the Carole King disc will be digitally identical to the recent Hong Kong release, which was identical to the original Sony 5.1 US release. They all have the same live bonus tracks as well. There's also no point in wishing it was the quad mix on the multichannel layer either, as the quad mix of Tapestry is 100% fake.

That's incorrect, the Japanese version of Blow By Blow was identical to the earlier Sony US version - both rear channels and the LFE were out of phase. The 2016 AP version corrected the out of phase issue with the rear channels, but the LFE is still out of phase.

I suspect the Carole King disc will be digitally identical to the recent Hong Kong release, which was identical to the original Sony 5.1 US release. They all have the same live bonus tracks as well. There's also no point in wishing it was the quad mix on the multichannel layer either, as the quad mix of Tapestry is 100% fake.

But Dave, it just seems ludicrous that SONY Japan with [as Brian asserts] their relatively newly installed Pyramix Horus DSD 128/256 mastering apparatus would not be able to incrementally improve on the 5.1 Tapestry 00 masters. And it really does appear silly that it would duplicate the VERY recently 'remastered' HK, EU pressed Tapestry 5.1 SACD, as they could've directed their efforts to releasing another unreleased Santana QUAD SACD or an A~list title not previously released in multichannel [like Janis Ian's Between the Lines....hint...hint].

If NOT, I suppose the joke is on US.

SD
Why do you think that it is a fake?
Did you read what I said about it
Ron

Sony does not own the masters to Tapestry. Lou Adler and his Ode records or production company have always owned the Carol King masters outright. The pressing and distribution deal struck with Sony for the period of the contract makes it even less likely Sony Japan would alter one digital bit of that SACD disc.

Sony does not own the masters to Tapestry. Lou Adler and his Ode records or production company have always owned the Carol King masters outright. The pressing and distribution deal struck with Sony for the period of the contract makes it even less likely Sony Japan would alter one digital bit of that SACD disc.

If SONY Japan IS privy to the absolute original analogue QUAD master tapes then they could match the playback to the original Open Reel machine utilized for the preparation of the QUAD master and further improve the A>D transfer utilizing the pyramix horus DSD 256 apparatus to further improve the transfer.

If SONY is supplied with an existing DSD64 transfer of the master then we'll probably be getting an exact replica of the early 00 5.1 SACD.

If SONY Japan IS privy to the absolute original analogue QUAD master tapes then they could match the playback to the original Open Reel machine utilized for the preparation of the QUAD master and further improve the A>D transfer utilizing the pyramix horus DSD 256 apparatus to further improve the transfer.

If SONY is supplied with an existing DSD64 transfer of the master then we'll probably be getting an exact replica of the early 00 5.1 SACD.

There is no quad master - only an old echo - quadra - plex simulation tape courtesy of A&M.

There is no quad master - only an old echo - quadra - plex simulation tape courtesy of A&M.

which was miraculously retrieved from the GREAT A&M Music Vault floods/fires/thefts of the last millennium......along with all the ABC QUAD multitracks which I have a sneaking' suspicion were beamed up to the Starship Enterprise :teleport:

Sounds LOGICAL to me!

Sony Japan recently purchased Merging Technologies Horus/Pyramix systems, capable of Stereo and Surround Sound recording and transfers up to DSD256, for several of their studios.
So it is likely that we will be seeing more DSD128 and DSD256 recordings and transfers from Sony Japan in the future.

Sony Japan recently purchased Merging Technologies Horus/Pyramix systems, capable of Stereo and Surround Sound recording and transfers up to DSD256, for several of their studios.
So it is likely that we will be seeing more DSD128 and DSD256 recordings and transfers from Sony Japan in the future.

Normally I don't like downloads - I very much prefer physical media - but with the expense of getting Japanese releases in the UK I wish Sony Japan could make them available as DSD downloads - needless to say preferably in quad or 5.1

I received this disc from Japan today. 7" X 7" packaging and hybrid SACD stereo and 5.1. I took a short listen and I believe sparks will fly on this 5.1 mix, not in a good way. I will save my final comments after a full disc listen in 5.1.

I received this disc from Japan today. 7" X 7" packaging and hybrid SACD stereo and 5.1. I took a short listen and I believe sparks will fly on this 5.1 mix, not in a good way. I will save my final comments after a full disc listen in 5.1.

Bummer, Mark. I was so looking forward to an improvement over the 00 SONY 5.1 release and with technology being what it is, your initial 'reaction' doesn't sound promising.

This will be the fourth hi res release of Tapestry [counting MoFi's Stereo SACD and NOT counting downloads] and although mine's en route from CDJapan, I was really hoping for a miracle.

When you finish auditioning it, Mark, would really appreciate a full evaluation.

Back