A new (homemade) set of Quadraphonic Headphones?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quadly McQuadmeister

I'm considering trying to make a set of makeshift Quad cans using 2 pairs of something small enough to (maybe) work.
My first effort is going to use a set of Koss Portapros.

Has anybody tried to make a set of Quad headphones using modern drivers?

I have two pretty nice pair of Pioneers SE-Q404's and I'd hate to butcher either of them without knowing that it's likely to work before I start.

Any advice is appreciated. The early version will put the "U" in Ugly. Whole lotta Scotch 33 in that aesthetic.

But once I have something I'm pretty happy with, then I'd be more willing to commit money towards the visual appeal.

(I thought about using a set of Grado SR-60e cans, but thought better of it....)

First tests will be carried out using one of my Technics RS-858DUS's and my Pioneer RT-2044's.

TIA for any advice.....

I'm considering trying to make a set of makeshift Quad cans using 2 pairs of something small enough to (maybe) work.
My first effort is going to use a set of Koss Portapros.

Has anybody tried to make a set of Quad headphones using modern drivers?

I have two pretty nice pair of Pioneers SE-Q404's and I'd hate to butcher either of them without knowing that it's likely to work before I start.

Any advice is appreciated. The early version will put the "U" in Ugly. Whole lotta Scotch 33 in that aesthetic.

But once I have something I'm pretty happy with, then I'd be more willing to commit money towards the visual appeal.

(I thought about using a set of Grado SR-60e cans, but thought better of it....)

First tests will be carried out using one of my Technics RS-858DUS's and my Pioneer RT-2044's.

TIA for any advice.....

Although I haven't made a set of Quad phones, I've repaired a few sets using modern drivers. Unfortunately the replacements aren't as good as the originals, try to find something similar to the old Koss drivers! I haven't tried butchering a new pair or two of modern phones for the drivers but that might be an option. Also I have a pair of Zalman 5.1 phones that were inexpensive and don't sound too bad.

Back