Tate 101a internal calibration pots?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgmuscari

I've got a Tate 101a that I've gone through and restored - all new electrolytic capacitors as they mostly checked out of spec. Now, things seem to be a little bit off. SQ content seems to decode correctly, but anything processed through the Surround mode sends a lot to the back right channel and very little to the back left. I have tried using test signals to adjust the internal calibration pots and don't see much difference from tweaking any of them - I'm just not sure what they all do. I'm certain that the chipset is OK - the unit was working pretty well before the restoration aside from unacceptable hum (now rectified). Does anyone have any technical information on how to service these things?

Responding to an old thread here, but I just got one of these units and I'm having a similar problem. Mine decodes SQ properly, but struggles to cancel crosstalk from the left rear speaker in the front channels. I sit close to the back of my room so it's not a total deal-breaker, but it does seriously affect the mix on some SQ albums. The right rear crosstalk is wiped entirely from the fronts.

Is it worth opening it and adjusting these internal calibration pots?

Back