Alpha and Beta Testers wanted

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zeerround

Staff member
QQ Supporter
Hey,

My pool of testers for upmix / Stereo to Surround conversion stuff (Spec and SpecWeb) is down to three or four people and I'd like to have more so looking for volunteers here.

These would be people who turn all the knobs in Spec/SpecWeb, not just drag and drop with the defaults. I'm looking for "this feature works, doesn't work, I found this bug, I think the defaults for this feature/method/option should X instead of what you have now", etc.

FYI I'm currently working on two code streams;

1) SpecWeb 1.5 some new bells and whistles, such as "ambiance extraction --> virtual rear channel" and a ton of work to code around crashing in the 5.1 limiter VST. This is very close to release (10th Beta).

2) SpecWeb 1.6 (might be released as 2.0) has the option to use FHT code from "Center Cut" vs. FFT/Phase vocoder used to date in Spec and Spec Web. Same Methods (ArcTan, Slice, ArcTan+Slice) can use FHT or FFT, AND there is also a "Center Cut Slice" where the original "Center Cut" method is used (repeatedly) but is merged with my Slice methodology (but not math) to go from stereo all the way to 5.1.

Besides the new "Center Cut Slice" method, using the FHT (Fast Hartley Transform) may reduce artifacts (that swishing or overly stretched out sound) reducing or eliminating the need to upsample source files.

1.6 is is very much in the alpha stages, so expect the odd crash, etc (for instance, "Play" is not working yet but outputting a file is).

If you are interested in helping, and will dedicate some time to test and give feedback then please PM me and I will give you a link to Alpha and Beta version.

The only other thing I ask is that you PLEASE DO NOT share or distribute these not fully released on surroundbyus.com versions, as that could lead to confusion, make it hard for me to support, and/or lead to newbies being frustrated or getting the wrong impression as to the quality of the software.

If you have a buddy that wants the Alpha, Beta, etc., just have them PM me here, vs. sharing with them directly.

Thanks in advance,
Z

Damn! Unfortunately I'm one of the "drag and drop" people or I'd be all over this. I love using SpecWeb and just convert with 1.31 and then 1.4 to see which gives a better result for a particular album. I sure hope the new versions will work well for us (possibly only me) D&Ders. :mad:@: Thanks for your work. -Ed.

Back