CD-4 Playback Question from New Member

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shenanigans7586

Hello All! My boyfriend Larry is currently building a CD4/ Quadrophonic System right now! :spot:bounce:upthumb He has a Pioneer QX 747!

DOES ANYONE KNOW about the Ed Saunders CD4 Cartriadge?? Or should we hit EBAY for something different?

He has an Audio Technica AT-LP120 Direct Drive Professional Turntable. :music:banana:

Thanks New Friends! :)
-Ash n Larry Shen ;) :D

P.S.- I'm glad this site is still active! We've already learned some things we didn't know or think about! :p

Hiya Shen welcome aboard and glad ya said hi....normally Snook would go on and on but me on my phone:rolleyes:

Welllllcome everybody here is kokk and friendly:banana:

Welcome to the forum. I pulled these two posts out of the "Welcome" thread because they might not be seen there by the right people.

Can anyone help these new quadders with info about the Ed Sanders cartridges? I never have used one but I do recall that they work fine.

My opinion is that those cartridges are hit and miss. If you get a good one, it will work fine. If not, it is at best a generic Audio Technica stereo cartridge. I am more concerned with that Audio Technica turntable. They might call it 'professional', but it is a mediocre model aimed at hipsters who are into vinyl because it is 'cool'. S-shaped tonearms are the least suitable for CD-4 playback. Search some of Cai Campbell's old posts about CD-4 tonearm suitability. A straight arm will give much more consistent performance. Also ... if a turntable has a built-in phono preamp or USB output, forget about using it for CD-4 playback. This isn't likely what you want to hear, but I assume you want honesty before you are in too deep.

Thank you for replying back... Do ya'll know if the NEEDLE IS 45 khz do we HAVE TO HAVE a Cartirage that is a quadrophonic cartriadge to go with the needle???

Thank you for replying back... Do ya'll know if the NEEDLE IS 45 khz do we HAVE TO HAVE a Cartirage that is a quadrophonic cartriadge to go with the needle???

There is way more to it than just the 'needle' and whether or not it "IS 45 kHz". You have a lot of research to do. Use the search function. Since you skipped over the most important part of my post (my comments about the Audio Technica turntable), you have probably already made your mind up about the Ed Saunders cartridge anyway. Why not write them and ask them? They will tell you that it is a fantastic choice, and you will have the answer you are looking for ... then you can come back and ask us to help you find out why it doesn't work properly. Good luck to you.

Last edited:
There is way more to it than just the 'needle' and whether or not it "IS 45 kHz". You have a lot of research to do. Use the search function. Since you skipped over the most important part of my post (my comments about the Audio Technica turntable), you have probably already made your mind up about the Ed Saunders cartridge anyway. Why not write them and ask them? They will tell you that it is a fantastic choice, and you will have the answer you are looking for ... then you can come back and ask us to help you find out why it doesn't work properly. Good luck to you.

How about this, before spending too much coin, buy some SQ and/or QS records and play them with your existing turntable. More than half the titles I listen to are SQ anyhow, which is unfortunately the least discrete on my setup, but oh well. If you really want the channel separation only possible with CD-4 (on LP), you are going to have to make some changes...

Last edited:
Back