Does a like of Quad/Surround music run in families?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DuncanS

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Well at the weekend I met up with one of my two Australian cousins (& his wife) who had come over to the UK for the first time. We'd never met, and had only spoken twice I can remember, once when my Uncle his Dad died, and the 2nd when my Dad died (his Uncle). So over a few beers we discovered a common interest in music, some of the same bands/artists, and somewhere along the line I mentioned as a student I'd built a Quad decoder in the late 70s, and was now listening to Quad/5.1 music with a modern set-up. So my cousin suddenly went what you're into Quad! (he's 2 years older). So it turns out he'd saved up his paper round money, got his mother to be a guarantor on a loan, and had bought a Quad set-up in the early 70s! Sadly he doesn't have it anymore, or even any Quad or surround music, but we had a few more beers talking about all the Quad albums & equipment we'd wished we had bought :mad:@: :smoking So is surround genetic or is it we're just of the same era?!

Regrettably, my family barely listens to music, except to kill the monotony in the car. My father bought his one and only record player in 1967. It was an upsell/afterthought. He went in to a local TV/Radio shop to buy his parents a TV and the salesman asked if he had a record player, and boy did he have a deal for my father. My dad came home witth a portable stereo changer. The second speaker went in the kitchen. They bought mono records as they "sounded better". Having been born in late 1971 myself, I never actually saw a quad system until I bought one a decade or so ago. However, My grandfather had been a Muntz dealer for about a year and a half. He told me that quad car systems always sold AND got returned, because the friends stereo system sounded better and was cheaper. In fact, when he closed his shop due to bankruptcy, the bank didn't even want to toss the used 8 tracks, they gave my grandfather and uncle the 2000 or so tapes rather than pay to dispose of them. There was one lonely Q8, Janis Joplin's Pearl. I had never since seen so many jazz and classical tapes in one place. I left them in a rooming house I moved out of in the early 90's with no regrets. My kid brother listens to EDM in the car through the phone. I can't tell how he knows one song from the other. I am not against the music form, just like to know when one song ends and another starts.

Hopefully this wasn't TMI or tl;dr. I am glad you have something I never had. Besides QQ, I know of no one who shares my passion. My local (record) dealers know me as "The Quad Guy" and run after me when they find something in 4 channel. While my family has bought music, they have no attachment whatsoever. In fact, I am the first family member to own a Beatles record, and I was 9 (December, 1980, go figger!) and my grandmother decided I needed some musical education.

Anyone in Ottawa happen to want a surround listening buddy?:D

Regards,
Matthew

2 of 3 sons have their own surround music collections, the oldest reintroduced "Quad" to me. The youngest now has Atmos and is really into 3D movies and of course Atmos sound. So its a product of your environment thing.

I don't know but my 30 something son and daughter both think I'm obsessed, my mom and dad still listen to music through a table radio and think there is definitely something wrong with me, my brother bought an acura with the ELS surround system and after i showed him what that thing could do with dvd-a disc (Dsotm no less)he just looked at me with a glazed expression and wanted to know how to connect his f ing I phone. I am working on the grands when i have em to my self, and oh yeah my old lady thinks i should be committed to an institution.

I'm the only one in my family who loves music in surround.
I started a love of collecting records at age 8. Then cassettes during 80s (huge regret) then CDs and after DVDs, BluRay etc.

I am changing my music listening methods these days unfortunately because of life, work, family and don't sit down to play my music as often as I'd like

Fun question! Nature vs nurture or most probably, nature + nurture. My dad used to be a sound engineer at a radio station in the 60's and made a giant speaker when he was a teenager. Man, that thing is huge. Takes two of us to move it. Brother was also into tunes as kids and it was his stereo that pretty much got me into music + those Star Wars 7" that you could read along with - remember them? I remember when I found out about radio; "You mean there's free music? In the air?". Whoa.

Sadly, my mother and sister have developed some weird inner ear problem that's more common among women, so they're partially deaf with rogue sounds in their ears constantly. Listening to anything (even background chatter, constant tire noise on a long road trip) at a reasonable volume sends them spinning. A horrible affliction.

Maybe there was only a certain amount of sound enjoyment to be had and the males took it from the females somehow? Dang, that ain't fair. Maybe us QQ'ers have taken more than our share from the rest of the population somehow? That would explain the blank stares from non-surrounders. This post just got Twilight Zone weird. I'll stop now.

Back