King Crimson - Sailor's Tales ('70-'72 box set)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onthewall2983

Someone on another forum said that David Singleton let slip the name of this year's box set. That's all at this point, other than that there is some work on a 50th anniversary ITCOTCK set as well.

Guessing that means we won't be getting 5.1 mixes of The ConstruKction of Light and The Power to Believe this year. :(

Mr. Singleton made no mention of those whatsoever.

In regard to ITCOTCK anniversary box idea, he suggested that contrary to prior talk, there were outtakes as yet unreleased, and he talked about the idea of a release that sort of just lets the early session tapes run as they occurred so long ago. Very interesting!

It's interesting...people on this forum love the buzz of newsbits like this...people at the event were complaining that the talk seemed to them like a commercial advertisement. I'm in the camp that likes the newsbits--you can't beat positive anticipation!!

This will definitely be a great box set, and I am really looking forward to it!
With three albums represented here, besides the already released remixed CDs and DVD-A/V discs, there should be at least three Blu-ray Discs in this set (one for each album) plus lots of good session material and live audio (from the "Islands" era.)
I say, bring it on!

As for "The Construkction of Light" and "The Power to Believe", there's always next year, especially since a 50th anniversary set for "In the Court of the Crimson King" will not materialize until 2019.

:)

Feeling vindicated for waiting to purchase the 40th Anniversary Editions of these albums. All those times I was told this box would not happen...

Yay! Just listened to the DVD-As of ISLANDS and LIZARD the other day. This version played near me in New Orleans during this period, and I missed them, although a buddy had some film clips he had shot (without sound 8'/).

I realize the flux the band was going through then, but it represents the sad finale of Sinfield as lyricist -- he certainly shaped the mood of the band! I can understand Fripp wanting to move on, but he lost a certain poetic aura in the process.

Would love to get Sinfield's STILL in surround! The 1993 extra material / different mix CD was excellent.

Edited after-thought: wonder how much extra material from the ItWoP sessions will be on this?

Last edited:
AFAIK, the only "Islands" era show that might work remixed to 5.1 surround is this one:
https://www.dgmlive.com/tour-dates/170

Thanks for the DMG link! I actually have a bootleg CD of the Denver performance ("3 - 8" listed as the selections . . . 1 and 2 were from their TV appearance on MIDNIGHT SPECIAL) called FROSTBITE. Not sure if it is the entire show or not (the track listings are of course conjectural on the boot).

Been years since I listened to it -- think I"ll wait and see if it is on the box set. Certainly won't be buying / downloading it until after the box set appears (how many extraneous copies / versions do we all have of various performances / recordings? Yes, you KNOW you do, you poor OCD collectors 8')).

EDIT (addendum): I also have somewhere a downloaded (from a reputable, not illegal, torrent site; and yes, Fripp would not agree, as he put a moratorium on it afterwards) show from this period from the Marquee Club. For a bootleg, it is rather excellent! So we might get a 5.1 from that show, or at least a cleaned-up version. The performance of "Circus" was excellent, as I remember!

Uh, I wouldn't count on it, seeing as how the original recording source is stereo cassette tape.
Even if it was upmixed, it would still sound like crap...

I was joking! I know well that it's a soundboard cassette ;)

Might be a set I pass on, of course depends on the final content and price. Never big on this KC era though the 40th series were huge improvements for me.

I really hope this year is just not this box - please, give us another....Power to Believe, the "ReKconstruction of Light"...but I suspect those 2 will come next year along with some sort of box offering from that era.

Might be a set I pass on, of course depends on the final content and price. Never big on this KC era though the 40th series were huge improvements for me.

I really hope this year is just not this box - please, give us another....Power to Believe, the "ReKconstruction of Light"...but I suspect those 2 will come next year along with some sort of box offering from that era.

Yes, AFAIK, "Construkction of Light" and "Power to Believe" are not in the works for this year, but they certainly would be good candidates for release next year.

:)

21318936_10156585579542519_5116017301945935569_o.jpg

;)

Back