King Crimson - Sailor's Tales ('70-'72 box set)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok I see it now, thanks Francois , "Earthbound " will ALSO be in the Sailor's Tales" box set.(y) includes Summit Quadraphonic Concert.

:upthumb

And @ Burningshed !

Summit Studios gig in Stereo and Quadraphonic (newly mixed) :banana:

This period of KC is not my first choice but Earthbound has always been a favorite. (Well, the version 21st Century anyway.) But $190 for a surround mix of the Summit Studios gig sounds pretty fair to me right now with all the rest of the bonus material in the box tagging along with it. Hard to not want to support these guys when their releases are just as polar opposite as it gets from the greedy bait & switch of the major labels.

And if I read right, the Lizard surround mix is to be included in full quality for the first time (24/96 discreet 5.1). The DVDA release had the surround mix downsampled to 48k. Probably not exactly night and day or anything perceivable with only average equipment but worth mentioning. SW was VERY into this album and this one is probably his best KC remix out of the bunch.

This period of KC is not my first choice but Earthbound has always been a favorite. (Well, the version 21st Century anyway.) But $190 for a surround mix of the Summit Studios gig sounds pretty fair to me right now with all the rest of the bonus material in the box tagging along with it. Hard to not want to support these guys when their releases are just as polar opposite as it gets from the greedy bait & switch of the major labels.

And if I read right, the Lizard surround mix is to be included in full quality for the first time (24/96 discreet 5.1). The DVDA release had the surround mix downsampled to 48k. Probably not exactly night and day or anything perceivable with only average equipment but worth mentioning. SW was VERY into this album and this one is probably his best KC remix out of the bunch.

I started a thread for "Earthbound " . In DVDA .

.If someone can photo a pic of the disc it sure would be nice.

kinda looking forward to this "Islands " era disc concert and in QUADRAPHONIC yet !!!::smokin

As to the box set.........WOW !! Contains many surround/quad goodies. This box set (expensive for me) I just might now bite
.:smokin
Very difficult to say no to this one.

Bought!.........and I keep getting a shock each month on how much I've been spending on music, mainly surround, so next month its going to be lying down in a dark room when the credit card bill turns up after all the stuff that's going to appear on it :banana::banana::banana:

Bought!.........and I keep getting a shock each month on how much I've been spending on music, mainly surround, so next month its going to be lying down in a dark room when the credit card bill turns up after all the stuff that's going to appear on it :banana::banana::banana:

As I have found, this forum is a very dangerous place for OCD collectors :howl

But I'm very glad about this thread: happily pre-ordered!

The wait until November (I originally thought March, but of course US 11/3 is the same as UK 3/11 haha) release is going to be long and hard :( Curious to compare the quality of my Summit CD boot and what appears in the box set. . . .

EDIT: Burningshed price, calculated on current pound-dollar conversion, was 174.00 (shipping included) compared to DMG 190.00 (is shipping included in that?). So Burningshed sounds like the better bargain (atm, the exchange rate will change).

And if I read right, the Lizard surround mix is to be included in full quality for the first time (24/96 discreet 5.1). The DVDA release had the surround mix downsampled to 48k. Probably not exactly night and day or anything perceivable with only average equipment but worth mentioning.

Or any equipment, for that matter. Unless EQ or levels were actually changed, as with Red.

Or any equipment, for that matter. Unless EQ or levels were actually changed, as with Red.

Something sounded off to me with the 24/48 Red and that "something" sounded more proper on the 24/96 edition. The "something" was more apparent than a sample rate conversion from 96k to 48k (and nothing else) would be with my Apogee DA converters. I agree with the eq suspicion.

Yeah ya know, HD sounds noticeably cleaner than SD especially the more budget the DA converters get. But in perspective, reducing wordlength from 24 bit to 16 bit is far more apparent at any sample rate and with any DA converters. And again with the perspective, anyone with below average speakers or improperly set up room and speakers will never be able to discuss such details. That's what I was trying to say. Of course everyone in this forum is surely beyond that and it may have been faux pas to even suggest such a thing around here!

re: Summit comments
The quad and stereo mixes are both listed as new for Summit Studios. 4.0 is still a fine format here in 2017. The meat of any 5.1 mix is usually 4.0.

The 5.1 mix of "Lizard" is 96 kHz 24 bit on the Blu-Ray, but given the fact that Steven Wilson did not begin mixing at 96 kHz 24 bit until 2010, what's on the Blu-Ray may very well be upsampled from 48 kHz 24 bit instead of the DVD-A/V being a downsample of 96 kHz 24 bit.
(The DVD-A/V was released in 2009.)

The 5.1 mix of "Lizard" is 96 kHz 24 bit on the Blu-Ray, but given the fact that Steven Wilson did not begin mixing at 96 kHz 24 bit until 2010, what's on the Blu-Ray may very well be upsampled from 48 kHz 24 bit instead of the DVD-A/V being a downsample of 96 kHz 24 bit.
(The DVD-A/V was released in 2009.)

True.
Maybe Simon Heyworth did a new mastering. It would be a bit useless to *just* upsample. I guess we'll know soon. :)

Yes Poseidon on Blu ray.......the 3 albums on 3 blu rays plus the tour album on a 4th blu ray.

The description says: 3 blu-ray discs contain the main studio albums, so Poseidon is on blu-ray! And there's a fourth blu-ray for the Earthbound tour.

(hwkn was faster than me!)

An instant purchase for me although pricey considering I have the previous cd/dvd-a releases for all of these. I almost wish they had re-configured this release to include ITCOTCK so all four albums from the period would have a boxset in a consistent format and on blu-ray. But even the Jethro Tull re-releases messed up on Benefit. One bright note: this may mean only one more box set is coming from KC to wrap up TCOL and TPTB. My wallet will be thankful. Unless Fripp decides to go back in the studio with current line-up, of course! :D

They have less than a year and a half to finish the 40th anniversary series! In 2019 it will be the 50th anniversary of the debut album. And it seems there's already a new box set planned for ITCOTCK@50...

Back