Porcupine Tree "Arriving Somewhere..." Blu-Ray edition coming soon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not to be a dope, so what does this all mean concerning the audio? Will the Blu sound better than the DVD?

Lossless DTS-HDMA and PCM on the BDV. Lossy DTS Core on the DVDV.

Nothing yet on sampling. Probably 48kHz but maybe 96kHz.

From Stevens facebook

”A new edition of Porcupine Tree's first concert film "Arriving Somewhere" will be released by Kscope as a 3 disc Blu-Ray / 2 CD combo on 23rd March. Filmed across 2 nights in Chicago and originally issued as a double DVD set in 2006, Arriving Somewhere wasn't shot in high-definition so the transfer to blu-ray here is more for convenience, containing as it does all the contents from both DVDs. Contrary to record company promotion which claims I have remastered it, the audio uses the original Darcy Proper master for both the stereo and 5.1 (which sounds great, Darcy did a great job in 2006). The main changes are that for the first time the concert audio has been included on 2 CDs, and the cover image has been revised. The release coincides with the forthcoming vinyl reissues of 2 of the Porcupine Tree's signature albums In Absentia (2002) and Deadwing (2005), from which a lot of the repertoire in the concert film is taken.”

The Wikipedia page for the Concert mentions HD cameras. Sounds like that was incorrect or it was edited in NTSC only, leaving no HD master.

Not to be a dope, so what does this all mean concerning the audio? Will the Blu sound better than the DVD?
It will due to the lossless audio on the Blu-ray compared to the DVD, as others already have mentioned.

Though I want to add that already in the DVD format, this is my best sounding concert DVD - it is freaking fantastic with a deep and vibrant base and every single instrument perfect clear in the mix. In my book it is better (soundwise) than the blu-ray concerts released by Porcupine Tree and Steven Wilson - they are really top notch also but only one can be the best ;-))

Given his busy schedule (touring To The Bone), I kind of doubt we'll be getting new SW 5.1 mixes. What we will undoubtedly get are properly mastered versions of the stereo mixes and the ES 5.1 mixes without glitches (the maligned phase issues). But one can always dream... We had better get all the B sides, too!

Listen to the latest kscope podcast #94 at about 18.10, it is stated that In Absentia and Deadwing "have been painstakingly remastered by that man...Steven Wilson". Kscope have acquired the rights so I'm hoping this translates into new 5.1 mixes too.

Listen to the latest kscope podcast #94 at about 18.10, it is stated that In Absentia and Deadwing "have been painstakingly remastered by that man...Steven Wilson". Kscope have acquired the rights so I'm hoping this translates into new 5.1 mixes too.
Well, of course he has remastered the stereo mixes. The old masters have been a huge thorn in his side for about ten years, now. But no mention of remixes, to me, suggests that there will be none.

Back side:
61lx3gvN6rL._SL1245_.jpg

:)

I just received a shipping notice from Amazon that says “On the way - Arriving Somewhere “. You’d think they could be a little more specific.

Ta-Ta-Tum.... :cool:

Yeah, pretty lame attempt at humor but I couldn’t resist. It’s what my kids would call a “Dad joke”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm so glad to finally get a proper copy of this on Blu-Ray.
This was the last release that myself and a few other QQ members helped to test for Neil Wilkes last year, so it's good to finally see it out there for all of you to enjoy!

Many of you know this already, but this film was never that impressive visually on DVD, so if you're looking for a high-def stunner, this Blu-Ray is not that. However, the picture does look better than the old DVD did, and I think the sound is a little better as well. The high-res encoding produces a little bit of a smoother sound on this disc.
Plus, it's also nice to have everything on one Blu-ray Disc instead of two DVDs, though it would have been even sweeter if more extras had been included, but oh well, we can't have everything, can we?

You can also use the yellow, red, and green colored buttons to switch audio options, as well as using the blue button to switch playlists.

I'm so glad to finally get a proper copy of this on Blu-Ray.
This was the last release that myself and a few other QQ members helped to test for Neil Wilkes last year, so it's good to finally see it out there for all of you to enjoy!
Does this mean the team dissolved, or you guys just continue this year when there is new material to test?

Does this mean the team dissolved, or you guys just continue this year when there is new material to test?

Hopefully, the latter. There's nothing on the agenda right now for this year, but we're there if he needs us, and I'm sure there will be things to do in the latter half of this year.

Has anyone else noticed the really subtle difference between the blu-ray and DVD release?

The two Rockpalast tracks are stereo only on the DVD, but on the Blu-ray, some kind of rear channel effect was added, probably just reverb or front channels mirrored at lower volume, but there are two rear channels there that weren't on the DVD release. They also changed up the order of the bonus tracks (on the disc but not on the liner notes).

Back