Quad output / amplifier input specs

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pwreimers

Gee. Quadraphonics. I never thought I'd be interested, honestly. But here I am.

In all my sixty-plus years, starting with vinyl, going to tape, then digital and finally back to vinyl, I've always had the straight-up 2 channel system for vinyl & tape and used my 5.1 setup for movies.

Then, in walks a Kenwood KN-7044 Quadrixer and my internal reaction is 'wtf?' Quadrixer? Really? Is this marketeering? This sounds like the first time I heard that my 1959 Rambler automatic transmission has a modulator, hooked up to the electrical and vacuum systems.

So, I have questions, actually quite a few, and I'll try to confine to one subject at a time. I learn best that way.

With this post I want to understand the Quadrixer outputs. There are eight altogether: four to drive the front & rear speakers at 0.1 Volts and four to drive them at 1.0 Volts.

When I look at the inputs for the two amplifiers I'll use to drive the sound to the speakers, I see they have input sensitivies rated at 150mV. What is this rating, in simple terms?

As the manual is not available for this piece of equipment, I'm going to have to learn a lot from others and my experiences.

I assume I use the 0.1 Volt outputs. If yes, what are the 1.0 Volt outputs for? I don't remember seeing any amplifier inputs that have that high of a sensitivity rating. If I use the 1.0 Volt outputs and connect them to the amp inputs that are rated at 150 mV, will I damage something? Will it just be excessively loud?

If any can help to educate me, thank you!
Pete

I might be wrong, but I think the 0.1 volt output is for going into your pre-amp/tape/auxilliary inputs. The 1.0 volt output is for going straight into a power amp. Tell me, is there a volume control on your Quadrixer? If so, my guesses are probably right. 0.1 volt is essentially 100 millivolts. Your device will be a bit quieter than if it had a 150 millivolt output, but shouldn't be too bad unless you are OCD about changing he main volume on your pre-amp when you change inputs.

Thanks circular vibes.
Yes, there is a volume control knob. I did a lot of reconfiguration to put it into my 5.1 system; it's not currently installed. I do remember that I needed to use the amp volumes to get quality sound; if I put the quad mixer volume to the 3/4 full level, the sound became distorted.
I'll post pictures of front/back panels.

Back