Calling All Grado Experts

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Svensson

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
Anyone see one like this before? I am assuming it to be a Plain Jane "Black" based on no apparent color to those little nubs that Grado has, but I can't place it with the colored rectangle to any current or past cartridge models. At least after looking at a couple of sites. Any info on dating it would be good. I just got it as equipped on a Dual 1245 table I purchased Grado.jpg, though those never came with Grados to my knowledge.

It looks a bit old and battered, and also like the badge has come off. Can I see a little green on the nubs there? Could it be this?
https://www.originlive.com/grado/grado-prestige-green.html

BTW, I don't know how much experience you have with these, but they can get the tremours. I had one on an Origin Live modified Rega RB300 and it would sometimes throw itself out of the groove on quiet sections. Must have been some kind of resonance issue perhaps linked to it being on a rim driven turntable, but I'm not the only one to have experienced its wobbly tendencies!

Wobble? Grado? I have two Grado cartridges. MF-1 and Prestige Gold1. The MF-1 is installed on my turntable as we speak. No wobble and I play a lot of long hair records that have lots of quiet spaces. In fact I rather like the performance of the MF-1.

As far as the John's problem. I afraid I haven't a clue.

Mike, you may be right in the speck of Green there. I have had no wobble issues with it at the recommended tracking weight and I really like the Grado's sound, and Yes...it does seem that the Logo just let loose, no special mystery cartridge after all. I picked up a completely clean and sweet Dual 1245 TT off CList and the Grado came with it. :smokin

Maybe their records "wobble"...Yes...That's it. Wobbley records.

Half of the internet people don't have a clue. And half of the other half are just guessing.

Maybe their records "wobble"...Yes...That's it. Wobbley records.

Half of the internet people don't have a clue. And half of the other half are just guessing.

Which half are you in? I've had problems with the Grado wobble so I know it exists - that's great for you if you haven't. It was clearly the wrong cartridge for my arm/turntable at the time. It wobbled during the quiet/'silent' parts enough to throw the stylus out of the groove sometimes.

Dual CS 721 set up for CD 4. When playing stereo or SQ I use the MF-1.

I'm the half that does a lot of research both on and off the internet. Starting quad in the early '70's and continuing to the present and being 74 I've collected a lot of useless and useful data and information. Still collecting.:)

Oh yeah...Forgot. Collected a lot of opinions too. Mostly mine.:D

That's three halves. None of which justify your dismissing my experience.

Back