ELP Fanfare Box Set (With 5.1 Surround Mixes on Blu-Ray) Coming Soon!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are you all sure about lost masters of the catalog albums? I can imagine that they simply like the existing mastering jobs and are going with them for now. I personally like the MFSL mastering for three of the main albums. HD is not a deal breaker when there are such hq masters out there already.

I don't see it as the catalog being in shambles.

Are you all sure about lost masters of the catalog albums? I can imagine that they simply like the existing mastering jobs and are going with them for now. I personally like the MFSL mastering for three of the main albums. HD is not a deal breaker when there are such hq masters out there already.

I don't see it as the catalog being in shambles.

Pure speculation only. Either they're waiting for later to release them or they don't have them anymore. I don't know. Now you and I can listen to our MFSL vinyl and between that and everything else the ELP collection is in better shape than most. But those are collectors items now. Vinyl systems are $5000 investments give or take to even get started. And here in 2017 they have these pretty deluxe editions of these albums with some Wilson 5.1 remixes and everything. But HD masters of the original mixes for only a couple of them. Could be screwing up too and no more than that. Seems shocking that such a screw up could happen with the major labels but there's been worse.

Anyway this looks to be a collection of the best releases available (sans the originals mentioned) all in one spot. Seems to correspond to said previous deluxe editions being out of stock in their web store too. What a coincidence.

As much as the price, one issue for me is physical storage of the set. Immersion and Early Years sets have made finding a place to put things very difficult. Can I just buy what I want and turf the rest, please?

It's hard to believe that "from the manticore vaults" yelded such a pointless releases as the not-so-polished bootlegs and can't include the WBMF quad mix in the Bluray. It is not the best quad mix out there, but at least ONE decent version could be inserted, since the Q8 had duplication problems.
Or maybe it's bette that way... so they can do a later WBMF boxset. :D

Order placed...

Don't care , but, to an ELP fan like me, the price is quite good for all the goodies it has...and having the 5.1 mixes in BLURAY- heck yes...

As for WBMFTTSTNE, I have never been a fan of the sound of the release , and I think a Quad release would be disappointing up to a point...(hey, it'd be great if it happened!)..the performances are great , although, the one in Mar y Sol is the MOST "spirited" one I've heard so far--

Only thing missing is video content...but , ahh, what the hell...

Order placed...

Don't care , but, to an ELP fan like me, the price is quite good for all the goodies it has...and having the 5.1 mixes in BLURAY- heck yes...

As for WBMFTTSTNE, I have never been a fan of the sound of the release , and I think a Quad release would be disappointing up to a point...(hey, it'd be great if it happened!)..the performances are great , although, the one in Mar y Sol is the MOST "spirited" one I've heard so far--

Only thing missing is video content...but , ahh, what the hell...

I hear ya. I'm a huge fan too. (I'm a pianist and Keith is easily my favorite of all time.) But I'm still hesitant to pull the trigger on this one. There's almost enough previously unreleased live material to justify the price (although I wish there were more concerts from the early 70's), and it would be nice to have the 5.1 mixes on Blu-ray. I do have to wonder about the quality of the live recordings though. Their Manticore Vaults series from a while back was nothing more than repackaged bootlegs, and the majority of the concerts featured here do already circulate on the bootleg circuit. Decisions, decisions.....

Me thinks this is going to be one of those "poor sales " deluxe editions .:rolleyes:

Already have the DVDA's so there is nothing worthwhile-nothing new in surround.(this is for the uber fan with money to burn)

And the price screams "Not On Your Life", for me ! It's sad that the quad is completely absent . But sadder still is the missed opportunity with the recent remaster of "Works" sans surround !

Oh well, maybe next year , or the nexter year, or nexter nexter........

Now Carl Palmer is the only surviving member I am surprised the 5.1s are getting any release given his previous comments on remixes

I met Carl last year and asked him if there would be any further 5.1 mixes. He responded "probably". He may have just been blowing me off, but at least it wasn't an outright "no". I told him how much I had been enjoying the 5.1 mixes that had already been released and he seemed happy to hear it....

I think the one thing that may work in our favor is that ELP's catalog seems to change hands pretty regularly. With each new label that acquires their catalog they may be looking for something new to sell future reissues. Once the vaults are bled dry (which could be soon considering how much live material has been released over the years) 5.1 mixes of the remaining titles could be one of the only options they have left.....

Although I'm a huge ELP fan, I just don't see anything compelling being offered here as I already have the 2012 deluxe editions of the first 3 albums, and the original DVD-A of BSS. I've never been satisfied with the performances or the sound of WBMF, and the only song I care about from Works is "Pirates", which would be excellent in 5.1, btw.

For concert footage and fascinating video, I have the "Beyond the Beginning" double DVD, which is stellar in its content even though most of the concert footage is of bootleg quality.

I think I'm set until Carl passes on and the obligatory "Ultimate Box Set" comes out with, finally, a 5.1 mix of Love Beach.:cool:

Order placed...
...the price is quite good for all the goodies it has...and having the 5.1 mixes in BLURAY- heck yes...

Hell Yeah! I'm in!
Good value for me, as I have none of the surround material or individual catalog CDs.

Paid-up orders today got a link to stream Tarkus, the first track from the live LP.

A bit more detail on the packaging, so far no photo or track list for the live material:

----------------------------------
CDs

• 1 x Blu Ray, in card wallet
    13 x card wallet Remastered 11 original albums (1970-94) (first time as vanilla CD)
    5 x card wallet Unreleased / rare live CDs
BOOK
1 x hard cover, 40 page, 11.5” x 11.5” book, matt finish,
foil blocked logo and title, uncoated paper stock, containing:

• Original album packshots and rare band photos,
extensive written intro and notes for each of the 11 classic albums,
double page band photo collage

12” LP
1 x gatefold 3 LP Unreleased Live 1973

TOUR PROGRAMMES
• Reproduction poster, 1972 brochure, 1974, 1992 tour programmes to go in large card envelope
2 x 7” singles to go in large card envelope (along with tour posters)

BOX
Rigid, 2 part, 12” x 12” x 2” box,
cut-out foam padding pockets inside,
silver foil-blocked ELP logo on black background,
shrink-wrapped, cover sticker and back of box paper onsert displaying box contents

-----------------------------------

they just sent the buyers a link to Tarkus live in Italy "the opening track from the gatefold 3LP LIVE IN ITALY, MAY 1973 (ROME AND MILAN) from the Fanfare 1970-1997 Deluxe Box Set" and it sounds quite good (soundboard recording at least!)

Cool!

The one thing here that I'd like to hear is the live show from Pocono Raceway. Although I was a little too young (and poor) to attend, a bunch of my friends were there. A rain-soaked, traffic gridlocked mudfest that ended near dawn the following day. What a lineup: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concert_10 But since I have 3 of the 4 surround titles (no BSS), and I don't care for the later stuff on CD, I'll pass on this one.

Yes.....its just a matter of patience and you can usually get it at a fair price.
SACD Version is on there a lot too.
It took me a couple of years watching ebay/amazon/discogs to find it at a price I could tolerate. Then, low and behold, somebody was selling it for right around original retail price.

On the PledgeMusic website, it states that "This Box Set will be delivered as close as possible to the 29th of September – this is ahead of the general trade release of 27th October". My question is, does anybody know if this will be available from the usual outlets in October? I searched on the web but all I can find is info on the Pledge music preorder.

IMO, BSS is totally worth tracking down. One of my favorite surround discs by a wide margin. But I recommend the original 5.1 mix (2001?), which apparently doesn't come with this set anyway.

It's not that I don't like the record, but after reading some of the less than complimentary reviews of the 5.1 mix, I just took a pass on it. If this set DID contain the older surround mix, I might go for it.

Back