Using a quadraphonic receiver as decoder

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snake

Using quad receiver as quad decoder

A lot of quad receivers will not pass a decoded matrix signal through the line outputs. Manufacturers (logically) assumed that users would simply record the undecoded source in stereo to a 2-channel tape deck, then decode the matrixed tape when they played it back.

It's been evoked by a member I may stumble
And fall looking for a receiver which is capable to decide at line level
An not the terminal, I read on tabs site a fix is to run terminal to line
Level connection from car audio maybe an audio source unit comes to mind

So for instance if iam adding pre in & out to a Wexford 7001
Will the new terminals allow matrix playback

Also does anyone have an idea which units offered line level
Playback decoded

The Bose 4401 was brought up, but it's very pricey

This may not solve your price problem...but I am using a QRX-9001 to do exactly that. The 4-channel tape out on this unit does contain decoded and demodulated as well as discrete audio. I am then running this into the multi-channel inputs on my Sony ES STR-DA3300ES. My roommate had his QRX-7001 modded to include a pre-out to somewhat solve the problem for him.
Good luck.

This may not solve your price problem...but I am using a QRX-9001 to do exactly that. The 4-channel tape out on this unit does contain decoded and demodulated as well as discrete audio. I am then running this into the multi-channel inputs on my Sony ES STR-DA3300ES. My roommate had his QRX-7001 modded to include a pre-out to somewhat solve the problem for him.
Good luck.

Perhaps if Snake would give us some idea of his budget ... $100? ... $250? ... $500? ... $1000?
I expect that he won't find what he wants for what he wants to pay. Snake, help us out here.

Thanks.

I'd just like to have my system performing
I haven't placed a figure in a receiver since they are
Far an many, but if your saying pre hacks
Would allow the for instance 7001 to be used
As a decoder would be not for copying just playback
I'm sure that would be more then adequate.

So, is this the case with the 7001? I can only assume a
8001 would be a replica of its bigger sibling?

I would pay $460.00 max
My roommate got his QRX-7001 for about $200 at a local record store and put about another $200 into it for servicing and the mod. You may be able to do something similar within your budget (a quick eBay search seems to agree).

My roommate got his QRX-7001 for about $200 at a local record store and put about another $200 into it for servicing and the mod. You may be able to do something similar within your budget (a quick eBay search seems to agree).

Thank you I may indeed just go this route
However you did not fully explain if you colleague
Is able to play quad from the modded receiver. If simply adding
Those type of inputs will allow 4ch operations
This would vastly open up viable units for such a procedure

I also read using speaker to line level adapter will work
For passing audio to and from the stereo can
This be confirmed

Kenwood 6140a has a set of pre out
Marantz 4400 has a set of pre in out w/ other connections
Jvc 4vr-1006 has a set of pre in out

The sears/fisher 143.97641500 does not but's pretty an would be a candidate for the procedure

Thank you I may indeed just go this route
However you did not fully explain if you colleague
Is able to play quad from the modded receiver. If simply adding
Those type of inputs will allow 4ch operations
This would vastly open up viable units for such a procedure

I also read using speaker to line level adapter will work
For passing audio to and from the stereo can
This be confirmed

To be honest he has not had an opportunity to test any of the quadraphonic facilities of his QRX-7001 since his room is too small for any surround sound at the moment (this was a preemptive mod made at the time of servicing). I would assume that the output from the pre-out should be decoded/demodulated 4-channel since that would be what was being sent to the amplifier. I guess finally it may be worth finding a second opinion on whether it is fine to run variable pre-out into a line level input of another receiver. Up until this point we have assumed that it would probably require some tweaking of the pre-amp decoder's output level ("volume"), but I guess I would also appreciate a confirmation of this theoretical setup.

Another note: If you are unaware, I would pay some attention to the quality of the decoders in the receivers, because not all decoders were created equal.

Apparently, thanks. In liue of some much needed research
I've narrowed my search, but again with an addition of the added external
Inputs I feel the band is endless, just a matter of what works for you
I have zero disdain for any of them the mod in question, but
Iam "aware" of what I like.

Thank you once more for the conversation & information
Have a good day.
Snake.

If you think that would help. I would love to help the discussion, but your lack of focus and confusing post style are making it very difficult.

I'm going to buy flowers, however can anyone else respond
Just you. I don't get it. We spoke in the other post you kinda said
The same thing. Hence a new post.

OK then, I hope the others can help you ... but you really need to focus on what you are looking for.

Shouldn't I be remanded or something did he just leave. I just picked my nose
Tmi.

Ok simply and iam completely ashamed for that, but can some help me to identify
A receiver I may use to decode quadraphonic, as a dedicated decoder would have ( quadzilla is excused from this particular conversation thank you Siri ) let's just start over if anyone is willing to help?
Thank you.

Did you mean the Fisher quad is not pretty, therefore a modification would not diminish its value? I wanted to do that to a Marantz 4230 when I first got it because, well, 12 watts per channel can't be any good! But, I was wrong. It served me well until more powerful multichannel systems came out. I was surprised, it drove two pairs of 4 speakers and filled a large house with sound, it was great. And a modification would likely diminish the value if I ever sold it. If the more modern ones weren't available as used items, for little money, I might have modded the Marantz. I still have it. What I was thinking of doing was taking the remote jack off and carefully storing it or put it aside in the cabinet, and run some pigtail RCA jacks out of the cabinet where the remote would plug in (if I had one). It could get tricky tapping off between pre and power.

It was around 1985 when I got that Marantz and I didn't have quad records. I didn't even know it had no optional decoder installed. But it was great for simulated quad. Knowing what I know now, I would not modify it. There are simply too many surround receivers available for little money around here. Thrift stores, patience, $50. With more patience, outboard decoders and a demodulator that are better than what was in that receiver.

On the other hand, If I had a receiver with very good decoder(s) and CD-4 demodulator, it would have good output stages. Would it not?

Forgive me for not seeing the big picture here.
I see two choices:
1.A receiver with great decoders (investment of $1K+) or,
2.Separates. Cheap way as described above. Still will likely end up being over $460.

Snake, I apologize for not having an answer, but can't solve the problem within the given budget. I post this this with an interest of my own. If I may ask, what is the intended use for the preamp outputs? If recording into the computer, using separate outboard decoders or demodulator gives much more flexibility, more available options.

Back