Styx - The Mission - coming to 5.1 surround Blu-Ray in July!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

colsky

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Styx's latest album The Mission is on my "to get" list, as its been getting great reviews everywhere. I've just been reading an interview with the band's Tommy Shaw about the new album:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/5953e202e4b0c85b96c65e86

And this quote from Tommy Shaw has got me even more interested in the album:

There will be a 5.1 remix that comes later on in the year and holy s**t is THAT a trip. Wow. I’ve got my 5.1 setup in my studio and I can’t take it down because every once in a while, my wife and I will go, “Let’s go listen to it again,” because in 5.1, it’s ridiculous.

Styx's latest album The Mission is on my "to get" list, as its been getting great reviews everywhere. I've just been reading an interview with the band's Tommy Shaw about the new album:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/5953e202e4b0c85b96c65e86

And this quote from Tommy Shaw has got me even more interested in the album:

There will be a 5.1 remix that comes later on in the year and holy s**t is THAT a trip. Wow. I’ve got my 5.1 setup in my studio and I can’t take it down because every once in a while, my wife and I will go, “Let’s go listen to it again,” because in 5.1, it’s ridiculous.

GREAT NEWS!!!

Maybe it will sparkle a "remixing of CLASSIC titles"...Equinox, CBall, TGI, POE, PT

Maybe I wouldn't have purchased the vinyl had I known...but anyway. I say...

OH HELL YES! This title would be killer in 5.1, no doubt whatsoever....

Wow! Tommy Shaws amazing vocals surrounding you... can this encourage them to put out the back catalogue in 5.1??

Mike Mettler must have had something to do with this. Not only is he a big fan of surround sound, but he is also very good friends with Styx, so I would not be surprised if this was mostly his doing. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great news! Here's hoping it's a "good" mix, and not just one that "honors the stereo mix".....:)

Mike Mettler must have had something to do with this. Not only is he a big fan of surround sound, but he is also very good friends with Styx, so I would not be surprised if this was mostly his doing. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey, if I had "the where with all " ($€£¥₩) I'd try and employ him as a "QUAD PROMOTER/SALESMAN" ! In my quadro opinion he's the correct man for the job .:upthumb

Surround tenacity kinda guy. :D

Colsky, thanks for posting this.
This is very good news as got the cd and after reading that interview makes sense how they recorded on analog etc, everything about this recording is like going back in time and writing and playing harkens back to the 70/80's Styx sound.
Tommy does not say unless I missed it but wonder who is helping out with the 5.1 surround.

peter

Prior to the Styx concert last night, there was an announcement for the Mission album, stating it was available in high resolution formats and surround. No where to be found though. If anyone hears of where this exists, please, please, post.

The only high resolution version available so far is a 24/88 download on hdtracks[stereo only].

Love Styx, can't wait. Would love some older albums in surround too.

Wow...I missed this thread...love me some Styx....I will be all over that one if it comes out in disc form...one of my favorite blu ray concerts is THIS ONE...average sound quality...lossless dts master audio 5.1 is the usual concert sound but the performance is off the charts...it's a fun disc..and the price is right

Wow...I missed this thread...love me some Styx....I will be all over that one if it comes out in disc form...one of my favorite blu ray concerts is THIS ONE...average sound quality...lossless dts master audio 5.1 is the usual concert sound but the performance is off the charts...it's a fun disc..and the price is right

"The Mission" is really a classic Styx album and a great sounding CD by any standards (while the DR is only 9, it sounds more like a 12 to me, lol)... I've heard an upmix which sounds amazing (probably because this album has a lot of stereo separation; I read they engineered it to sound great with head phones)... I saw them live last weekend and they were phenomenal in every aspect: the vocals and harmonies were spot on, the showmanship was lively, and the set list, which included 5 songs from The Mission, was 2 hours of perfection. My wife is hard to please when it comes to vocals, and she loved it (she danced and sang like she was 20 years younger all night); my son wanted to add everything I have by Styx to his iphone afterwards, and my daughter requested to borrow my "Mission" CD afterwards to add to her itunes. I love Dennis DeYoung, but Lawrence Gowan is an incredible musician and performer in his own right and I wasn't missing Dennis that night. I encourage you to see them live... they seem to have some renewed energy and excitement coming off "The Mission"!

I searched STYX facebook page and found this....I sure hope it's going forward with a physical disc of some sort. I prefer (obviously) a 5.1 of the studio album, not a concert.

STYX 5.1.JPG

"The Mission" is really a classic Styx album and a great sounding CD by any standards (while the DR is only 9, it sounds more like a 12 to me, lol)... I've heard an upmix which sounds amazing (probably because this album has a lot of stereo separation; I read they engineered it to sound great with head phones)... I saw them live last weekend and they were phenomenal in every aspect: the vocals and harmonies were spot on, the showmanship was lively, and the set list, which included 5 songs from The Mission, was 2 hours of perfection. My wife is hard to please when it comes to vocals, and she loved it (she danced and sang like she was 20 years younger all night); my son wanted to add everything I have by Styx to his iphone afterwards, and my daughter requested to borrow my "Mission" CD afterwards to add to her itunes. I love Dennis DeYoung, but Lawrence Gowan is an incredible musician and performer in his own right and I wasn't missing Dennis that night. I encourage you to see them live... they seem to have some renewed energy and excitement coming off "The Mission"!

I liked Dennis DeYoung...back in the day...but Styx is fine without him...teaming up with Don Felder in Vegas would be interesting to hear..some Eagles songs mixed in with Styx..I agree about Lawrence...very talented guy. Styx never got the recognition they deserved..and Tommy Shaw has really improved over the years...he stepped up when the band needed it..

Back