Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 92.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Blog entryCreated Album picturesTagger First Class
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Marillion - MISPLACED CHILDHOOD [Blu-Ray Audio]

Please post your thoughts and comments on this 2017 release of Marillion's classic 1985 album "Misplaced Childhood", remixed in 5.1 surround by Steven Wilson and released on Blu-Ray, also featuring 4 promotional videos and a 72 min documentary!

Surround yourself with the best.

Coming soon in 2017: "Eye in the Sky" (The Alan Parsons Project), "Black Sea" (XTC) and "A Farewell to Kings" (RUSH)!
    Already released: "Songs from the Wood" (Jethro Tull); "Misplaced Childhood" (Marillion); "Three Piece Suite" (Gentle Giant) and "Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band"

Level
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 188
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Marillion - MISPLACED CHILDHOOD [Blu-Ray Audio]

Really hadn't heard of this group (or album) except through QQ. Another great Steven Wilson surround mix. Lead vocals almost exclusively in the center speaker (some songs there are echos in the rears.) On my system I needed to turn up slightly. Great booklet and packaging! Also great visuals as the album is playing. Haven't had a chance to listen to the CD's yet, but will soon. Received the signed version from Racket Records. Really enjoying this!

3. Thanks DoctorO, Snood, JanBakker, peterzach, fredblue thanked for this post
    Level
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 86
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

I really like the mix,gave it 9.High fidelity and very enveloping with some discrete moments.Deep tight bass.A real good album made even better.

5. Thanks JanBakker, peterzach, fredblue thanked for this post
    700 Club - QQ All Star
    Level
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 86
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

I received this from Racket Records yesterday. Ive only had time to cherry pick a few tracks and watch the videos so far, so ill withhold a vote for the time being. But I am in full agreement with the above poster on the mix. Its not wiz-bang discrete but very enveloping and very well done. Its an excellent album and has been a favorite for years.

I had no issues with the packaging, no bent corners. Signed by the band, although its pretty much impossible to make out those scribbles as anything intelligible.

I haven't put them side by side yet, but the package may be the same size as the Tull releases.

All nicely done.

7. Thanks JanBakker, peterzach, fredblue, Snood thanked for this post
    1K Club - QQ Shooting Star dr. simple's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 446
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm only a few songs in, but MAN this sounds great. Not real discrete in terms of stuff flying around the room, but wonderfully suited to the music. Wow.
    "You gotta always remember, the name of the game is 'What does it sound like?' That's always the end result - I don't care if you got 90 tracks. What does it sound like, baby?" - Ray Charles

Level
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 386
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveSocial10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Post Thanks / Like

I've listened twice right now.
    Imo, it is not the best mix Steven did and I wonder if all multitrack were used.
    Over all, Lady Nina is the song with the best surround mix.

A 9, because this disc is a classic....for the surround mix between 7-8.
    One day at a time!
    (331 DVD-Audios, 477 Multichannel-SACDs, 52 Stereo-SACDs, 28 Blu-Ray-Audio, 116 Audio-DVD/DTS-CDs)

10. Thanks fredblue, haikubass, JanBakker, Snood thanked for this post
    Level
    Overall activity: 92.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Blog entryCreated Album picturesTagger First Class
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IMachine View Post
    I've listened twice right now.
    Imo, it is not the best mix Steven did and I wonder if all multitrack were used.
    Over all, Lady Nina is the song with the best surround mix.

A 9, because this disc is a classic....for the surround mix between 7-8.
    AFAIK, there were no issues with the tapes for this remix, but reading this might put things in perspective a little bit:
    SDE: Were there any particular challenges, in terms of creating this Marilion 5.1 mix?

SW: Yes, thereís not much on it! I was surprised, because obviously itís quite a big sounding album, but thatís because itís beautifully recorded. In fact at any one time thereís usually only drums, bass, one or two guitar / keyboard parts, and a lead vocal going on. Occasional solos of course, but thereís barely any backing vocals, and very little in the way of what you might call sound design. The album just works really well as a well composed suite, but itís quite simple in the way itís arranged and layered, a very economic recording. So itís certainly not a whizz-bang 5.1 mix, and I donít think it would have leant itself to that anyway. I would describe it as being closer to a more immersive interpretation of the stereo mix. Sometimes that can be the right approach to take in my opinion. The lead vocals on the original album are quite far back in the mix sometimes too, and I stayed pretty close to that template, even though I might have mixed them louder if Iíd been doing the album from scratch. But still they sound great where they are, thatís just a personal thing.

Surround yourself with the best.

Coming soon in 2017: "Eye in the Sky" (The Alan Parsons Project), "Black Sea" (XTC) and "A Farewell to Kings" (RUSH)!
    Already released: "Songs from the Wood" (Jethro Tull); "Misplaced Childhood" (Marillion); "Three Piece Suite" (Gentle Giant) and "Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band"

Level
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 386
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveSocial10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rtbluray View Post
    AFAIK, there were no issues with the tapes for this remix, but reading this might put things in perspective a little bit:
    Yep, just like it sounds.
    The lead vocals are definately too calm.
    They had to be louder.
    In the stereo mix the vocals are a bit better imho.
    One day at a time!
    (331 DVD-Audios, 477 Multichannel-SACDs, 52 Stereo-SACDs, 28 Blu-Ray-Audio, 116 Audio-DVD/DTS-CDs)

13. Thanks Snood thanked for this post
    Likes Snood liked this post
    Level
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveSocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting to hear everyone's takes on this. While I didn't say it, my very first impression was....why are the drums so quiet? Conversely, I thought the vocals were just perfect. Ha! We are all different in what we perceive or like aren't we?

I just kept thinking, if this were an actual Steven Wilson disc, the drums would be pronounced.....but this is Marillion, who I know nothing about. Maybe drums were never meant to be heard...I dunno.

I will vote a 8. For me, mostly due to the drums (in my opinion) buried and without any snap whatsoever. Generally I don't nit-pick, but for some reason, I felt inclined to lay it all out there for the world to see.

15. Thanks peterzach, JanBakker, Snood thanked for this post
    Likes peterzach, JanBakker, Snood liked this post
    Level
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 118
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Post Thanks / Like

Just listening for the 2nd time and followed the lyrics to Blind Curve and noticed that they are wrong in a couple of places, e.g. 'Cold Moan' instead of 'Moon' & 'Soup Ladies' instead of 'Ladles', dug out my original LP and they are correct in there, duh, who transcribed this? I bet there are more mistakes in there, I'm gonna find 'em.
    Also had a weird experience listening to Lady Nina the first time, Vocals sounded really odd and echoey! just tried it again and its sounding fine now in LPCM and DTS so I don't know what happened there.
    On the whole I'm pleased with the sound and mix, its different from the Barclay James Harvest I was listening immediately before.

17. Thanks peterzach, JanBakker, Snood thanked for this post
    Likes peterzach, JanBakker, Snood, edisonbaggins liked this post
    Level
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 18
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GOS View Post
    Interesting to hear everyone's takes on this. While I didn't say it, my very first impression was....why are the drums so quiet? Conversely, I thought the vocals were just perfect. Ha! We are all different in what we perceive or like aren't we?
    What we each hear is critically dependent on the gear we're using and the acoustic environment in which we're hearing it. Everybody's playback system (which includes room interaction) is different. I'm going to try to listen to my copy tonight. We need lots more data points.

BTW, have you compared the stereo and 5.1 mixes? Are the drums as quiet in the stereo mix?

19. Thanks Snood thanked for this post
    Likes wavelength, Snood liked this post
    Level
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveSocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MCDave View Post
    What we each hear is critically dependent on the gear we're using and the acoustic environment in which we're hearing it. Everybody's playback system (which includes room interaction) is different. I'm going to try to listen to my copy tonight. We need lots more data points.

BTW, have you compared the stereo and 5.1 mixes? Are the drums as quiet in the stereo mix?
    Haha, no. Stereo will never get played. For the record, this is the first time I've ever said, "drums are too quiet". So....must be a preference thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21. Thanks peterzach, Snood thanked for this post
    Likes peterzach, Snood liked this post
    1K Club - QQ Shooting Star rusinurbe's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 454
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience PointsSocial
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking Re: Marillion - MISPLACED CHILDHOOD [Blu-Ray Audio]

So the first time I have heard the album in Probably 15 years since I sold the Original CD scratching for cash during a period of uncertainty, and getting rid of albums I just did not listen to.

History lesson over nice to get this album again and it seems to have aged better than I have. The mix is a touch more subtle than some of Steven's mixes but there is quite a bit going on and at times it's used to enhance the sound.

I like it a lot and it's a high 9 for fidelity and extras and 9 for the mix, thought the videos do seem to have aged as badly as I have
    Salutations Fletch

23. Thanks peterzach, Snood thanked for this post
    Likes JanBakker, himey, peterzach, Snood liked this post
    800 Club - QQ All Star Failed Muso's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 51
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class10000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Misplaced Childhood, like Songs From The Big Chair (released in the same year), is a very precious album to me. It formed part of the soundtrack to my mid-teen years and was my first real experience of a prog concept album that I fully bought into. I don't think I was mature enough, musically, to really dig prog OR concept albums at the time, and then this album came along and totally changed all of that. Whisked away, as I was, by the melancholy of 'Kayleigh' and 'Lavender' which both suited my romantic shenanigans at that time, the album was incredibly accessible whilst retaining many of the cornerstones of the genre. Fish's lyrics were enthralling, as was the instrumental work of the band. As a drummer, I really loved Ian Mosley's work on the album.

So this is important, and my anticipation for this release was fuelled by excitement and trepidation, keen to hear this masterpiece (in my eyes) in my preferred format, but hoping that it wouldn't get screwed up. My trepidation was mitigated somewhat by the man at the helm of the 5.1 mix, naturally

I've listened to this about 4 or 5 times now and I am 100% satisfied! In fact, I can't stop listening to it! Not only is it a joy to hear these songs again, but the mix is sympathetic, respectful and just the ticket. As Wilson has pointed out, there's not a lot to play with here, so I am not at all disappointed by the lack of any adventurous movements. Doing so would've been out of place and jarring. It is, as Wilson states, a more open and immersive experience that simply explores the original stereo mix a bit further. It feels very comfortable and I believe the balance was struck for this particular album.

The 4x CDs should also get a mention here. A very nice stereo remaster and the full Utrecht live show is great to hear, as are the b-sides, versions and demos. I really do like an era-encompassing package like this.

As for the packaging, I have little or no complaint. Lots to read and look at, a nice weighty object and nice to look at and hold.

I genuinely can't fault this. 10.
    Rob

Failed Muso
    www.failedmuso.com/blog

Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, I finally found time to have a listen. I have an issue with the upper bass on certain tracks, but I determined it is not the disc's fault, but rather suspect it's a problem with my room's acoustics. This is a very nice, spacious mix that isn't very discrete in the surrounds but is quite satisfying nonetheless. I don't think steering things to the surround channels would really improve it. I found that I actually prefer the '98 CD remaster ever so slightly more, but that's just personal preference, and of course, it's in stereo. The sound on this blu-ray is excellent.
    Last edited by MCDave; 07-26-2017 at 12:12 AM.

26. Thanks haikubass, Snood thanked for this post
    Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

After reading your review, I was seriously concerned that I had possibly listened to something completely different. So much so that I put the disc back in this morning and listened again.

Bitter Suite Ė where are the drums at the beginning of Bitter Suite? They should be prominent. During the section after the band comes in and plays the Lavender theme again, thereís a horrible upper bass thing going on that sounds like amp feedback or a bad resonance. It renders this portion of the track, about a minuteís worth, unlistenable!
    I'm not quite sure much more prominent you want those drums to be, but they seem as prominent as the stereo version (be it the original '85 vinyl, the remastered CD or the version offered in this set) to my ears. And I have no idea about this "upper bass thing". Not hearing it here.

Waterhole (Expresso Bongo) Ė The original mix has what sounds like a marimba but may be a synth throughout most of the song, but it is so buried in the 5.1 mix youíd never know it was there if you werenít familiar with the original stereo mix. This is important! The song misses something without it. Listen to the original mix to hear what Iím talking about.
    That odd upper bass thing mentioned above is also present here, during Rotheryís solo. Again, unlistenable! It is horrid.
    I can hear the marimba sound quite well, although it is more in the rears and therefore I can understand how some might perceive it to be less prominent. Again, no "upper bass thing" here.

The top end sounds rolled off. Cymbals and hi-hat are muted and indistinct most of the time. Meanwhile, the bass is too hot through most of the album.
    Again, can't quite agree with this. The bass does indeed cut through, mainly because it's exceptional bass playing but certainly not because it is too hot. I'm a bass fiend, so maybe this is just because I like my bass. But as a drummer who scrutinises drum parts very closely, I was perfectly happy with the crispness and clarity of the metal parts of the kit.

There is nothing new to be heard in any of the mixes. In practically all other MC releases Iíve ever heard, there was always something that I hadnít heard before, or at least certain elements that became much clearer (vocals, especially). Not this time! Since nothing interesting is going on surround-wise, what is the point? We can listen to the stereo mix in Dolby Pro Logic II and get a surround-y effect that is nearly the equal of what Wilson did here. I know because I compared them this way. About 2/3 of the album has more clarity and detail in the original stereo mix than in the 5.1. That is shocking. Itís supposed to be the other way around.
    Reading this part begins to make me feel that it isn't the mix, nor the listener, that is at fault here but possibly the listening system. I know that this statement will attract a defensive response of the listener's equipment, their technical ability and how everything else sounds fine through it, but aside from physical defects with actual ears or a faulty disc, I can't think of any other reason. Maybe it's a case of becoming so conditioned to a particular mix that anything else sounds skewed and unnatural. I felt that way ever so slightly with Songs From The Big Chair, but soon adapted and now prefer the 5.1 mix to anything else.

Wilson himself has gone on record stating that he was surprised at how few multi-tracks there were in this album, that for the most part, it's just guitars, drums, bass and some keys, which in turn doesn't give him much to work with in respect of uncovering otherwise hidden parts or creating an "adventurous" 5.1 mix. He said that he attempted to create a fuller version of the stereo mix and I think he nailed it, personally.

I appreciate that everyone will have their own opinion, but when I read claims that differ so much from my own, I try and re-evaluate my own experience again in case I missed something. Having played the disc twice now since reading this review, on two distinctly different 5.1 rigs that I have here, I simply cannot replicate or hear the complaints levelled against this mix and stand by my own opinion that this is a highly respectful an sympathetic mix that has me listening to this album over and over again, much like I did in '85.

Here's hoping this counter-opinion is taken gracefully and it doesn't turn into a mud slinger
    Rob

Failed Muso
    www.failedmuso.com/blog

Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Failed Muso View Post
    Here's hoping this counter-opinion is taken gracefully and it doesn't turn into a mud slinger
    Certainly not! And obviously whatever the reason for what I heard, I'm the only one so far who has these complaints. I'm as surprised as you are and I have no explanation other than I heard what I heard.

My first thought as I began to listen to the surround mix was that there must be something wrong with my system, or my ears. But when I popped in the '98 CD and heard something very different, I'm inclined not to blame my system or my ears. I'm going to give it a fresh listen this evening.

29. Thanks Failed Muso, skherbeck, Snood, dr. simple thanked for this post
    Likes Failed Muso, perzon57, skherbeck, Snood liked this post
    Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Certainly not!
    Delighted to hear it

And obviously whatever the reason for what I heard, I'm the only one so far who has these complaints. I'm as surprised as you are and I have no explanation other than I heard what I heard.
    It will be interesting to see if anyone else feels the same way. As you alluded to earlier, more data points are needed.

My first thought as I began to listen to the surround mix was that there must be something wrong with my system, or my ears. But when I popped in the '98 CD and heard something very different, I'm inclined not to blame my system or my ears. I'm going to give it a fresh listen this evening.
    I know for a fact that I have become so conditioned to a mix of a long-term favourite that anything that differs, even if only slightly, stands out a mile. It can be unnerving and I wonder if this may be contributing to your experience. I went and had another listen, switching between LPCM and DTS-HD encodings and what I began to maybe discern was that the higher frequencies may, and this is just a thought, have been pushed towards the rears. I found that as I moved closer to them, the top end seemed to increase on a number of elements. In one room, there is about 3.5 metre's distance from sweet spot to the fronts, and about 1 metre from the rears. In my other room, it is much more compact and in that room, I would say the higher frequencies are more pronounced. This is far from scientific, but just an observation

I'll be keen to hear your thoughts after a second listen, maybe even after a few more. Maybe the conditioning will be eroded?

Have fun, and try not to let this spoil your enjoyment of a magnificent album
    Rob

Failed Muso
    www.failedmuso.com/blog

31. Thanks Snood, peterzach thanked for this post
    Likes JediJoker, Snood, peterzach, perzon57 liked this post
    Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

I know for a fact that I have become so conditioned to a mix of a long-term favourite that anything that differs, even if only slightly, stands out a mile. It can be unnerving and I wonder if this may be contributing to your experience.
    I know what you mean. Once you become familiar with something, any differences seem 'wrong'. I'd like to think this is another case of that phenomenon, but there are many other titles I own that fall into this category and I didn't have the same experience upon a first listen to them.

Maybe my review was too knee-jerk. I shall give it another chance this evening.

33. Thanks Snood, peterzach, dr. simple thanked for this post
    Likes Failed Muso, perzon57, Snood, peterzach liked this post
    Level
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 20
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Delighted to hear it

It will be interesting to see if anyone else feels the same way. As you alluded to earlier, more data points are needed.

I know for a fact that I have become so conditioned to a mix of a long-term favourite that anything that differs, even if only slightly, stands out a mile. It can be unnerving and I wonder if this may be contributing to your experience. I went and had another listen, switching between LPCM and DTS-HD encodings and what I began to maybe discern was that the higher frequencies may, and this is just a thought, have been pushed towards the rears. I found that as I moved closer to them, the top end seemed to increase on a number of elements. In one room, there is about 3.5 metre's distance from sweet spot to the fronts, and about 1 metre from the rears. In my other room, it is much more compact and in that room, I would say the higher frequencies are more pronounced. This is far from scientific, but just an observation

I'll be keen to hear your thoughts after a second listen, maybe even after a few more. Maybe the conditioning will be eroded?

Have fun, and try not to let this spoil your enjoyment of a magnificent album
    I know what you mean. Once you become familiar with something, any differences seem 'wrong'. I'd like to think this is another case of that phenomenon, but there are many other titles I own that fall into this category and I didn't have the same experience upon a first listen to them.

Maybe my review was too knee-jerk. I shall give it another chance this evening.
    Very god job both of you guys for keeping the discussion civil, which is often not there in discussion forums.
    Yes, it is ok to disagree and it is possible to disagree without throwing fireballs at each others...

35. Thanks dr. simple, Snood thanked for this post
    Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mch007 View Post
    Very god job both of you guys for keeping the discussion civil, which is often not there in discussion forums.
    Yes, it is ok to disagree and it is possible to disagree without throwing fireballs at each others...
    Absolutely. I hardly have a basis for arguing when 10 others have voted 8 or above and I'm the only one who is hearing these things. Until I figure it out, logic requires me to accept that the "it's not the disc, it's you" argument has merit. Besides, there are plenty of others here who are far more knowledgeable and experienced at evaluating music than I am. I've been an audiophile for 38 years but I'm no professional, just a hobbyist. And now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go evaluate some more, this time without the cotton wadding in my ears.

37. Thanks peterzach thanked for this post
    Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, Iím going to have to order myself to stand in the corner for an hour. I found out the issue. Partially, that is. I had somehow engaged the THX processing on my AVR, which played havoc with the 5.1 mix. When I realized this, I turned it off and the world was right again! Drums, cymbals and vocals were back where they were supposed to be, the marimba-sound was more clearly audible in the RR on Waterhole, and everything else was fixed. The mix sounds wonderful now! ExceptÖ

The upper bass issue on certain tracks is still there. Convinced now that itís not the mixís fault, I determined that the offending sound is coming from the left rear. I tried 2 other speakers in that channel, experimenting with placements, and was able to remedy the problem only by leaving the left rear disconnected. But since it was only somewhat affected by placement and not at all by the speaker itself, Iím left to conclude that the problem is a room mode being excited by just the right frequency in just the right place, and just hadnít revealed itself until now. Thatís all I can think of.

So Iíd like to revise my rating to 8. Can a moderator change it for me? Or delete my previous rating so I can vote again?

Although I think I still slightly prefer the 98 mix, this is certainly right up there, and more discrete. It was a pleasure to listen to it this time! Apologies all around (and to you, SW ). Iíll edit my previous post.

Level
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 91
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

I know what you mean. Once you become familiar with something, any differences seem 'wrong'.
    Boy howdy is that true.

Case in point - there's a slightly out-of-sync first chorus in "Eminence Front". Versions that have this corrected or minimized drive me insane.

40. Thanks Snood thanked for this post
    700 Club - QQ All Star
    Level
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 86
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by drphibes View Post
    Boy howdy is that true.

Case in point - there's a slightly out-of-sync first chorus in "Eminence Front". Versions that have this corrected or minimized drive me insane.
    Wow, they corrected that on some later release? It just doesn't seem right.

42. Thanks Snood thanked for this post
    Level
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 91
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LuvMyQuad View Post
    Wow, they corrected that on some later release? It just doesn't seem right.
    1997 remaster, I think? I swear I've heard a version without it.

It's like removing the "click" from a light switch or the percussive sound from a Hammond B3. Yeah, it wasn't intended, but we grew to love it.

44. Thanks Snood thanked for this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast