HiRez Poll Marillion - MISPLACED CHILDHOOD [Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Marillion - MISPLACED CHILDHOOD

• Total voters

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Please post your thoughts and comments on this 2017 release of Marillion's classic 1985 album "Misplaced Childhood", remixed in 5.1 surround by Steven Wilson and released on Blu-Ray, also featuring 4 promotional videos and a 72 min documentary!

(n) :) (y)

71Ww0icgnSL._SL1200_.jpg

814xmQjDwqL._SL1155_.jpg

Really hadn't heard of this group (or album) except through QQ. Another great Steven Wilson surround mix. Lead vocals almost exclusively in the center speaker (some songs there are echos in the rears.) On my system I needed to turn up slightly. Great booklet and packaging! Also great visuals as the album is playing. Haven't had a chance to listen to the CD's yet, but will soon. Received the signed version from Racket Records. Really enjoying this!

I really like the mix,gave it 9.High fidelity and very enveloping with some discrete moments.Deep tight bass.A real good album made even better.:)

I received this from Racket Records yesterday. Ive only had time to cherry pick a few tracks and watch the videos so far, so ill withhold a vote for the time being. But I am in full agreement with the above poster on the mix. Its not wiz-bang discrete but very enveloping and very well done. Its an excellent album and has been a favorite for years.

I had no issues with the packaging, no bent corners. Signed by the band, although its pretty much impossible to make out those scribbles as anything intelligible.

I haven't put them side by side yet, but the package may be the same size as the Tull releases.

All nicely done.

I'm only a few songs in, but MAN this sounds great. Not real discrete in terms of stuff flying around the room, but wonderfully suited to the music. Wow.

I've listened twice right now.
Imo, it is not the best mix Steven did and I wonder if all multitrack were used.
Over all, Lady Nina is the song with the best surround mix. :)

A 9, because this disc is a classic....for the surround mix between 7-8.

I've listened twice right now.
Imo, it is not the best mix Steven did and I wonder if all multitrack were used.
Over all, Lady Nina is the song with the best surround mix. :)

A 9, because this disc is a classic....for the surround mix between 7-8.

AFAIK, there were no issues with the tapes for this remix, but reading this might put things in perspective a little bit:
SDE: Were there any particular challenges, in terms of creating this Marilion 5.1 mix?

SW: Yes, there’s not much on it! I was surprised, because obviously it’s quite a big sounding album, but that’s because it’s beautifully recorded. In fact at any one time there’s usually only drums, bass, one or two guitar / keyboard parts, and a lead vocal going on. Occasional solos of course, but there’s barely any backing vocals, and very little in the way of what you might call sound design. The album just works really well as a well composed suite, but it’s quite simple in the way it’s arranged and layered, a very economic recording. So it’s certainly not a whizz-bang 5.1 mix, and I don’t think it would have leant itself to that anyway. I would describe it as being closer to a more immersive interpretation of the stereo mix. Sometimes that can be the right approach to take in my opinion. The lead vocals on the original album are quite far back in the mix sometimes too, and I stayed pretty close to that template, even though I might have mixed them louder if I’d been doing the album from scratch. But still they sound great where they are, that’s just a personal thing.

Interesting to hear everyone's takes on this. While I didn't say it, my very first impression was....why are the drums so quiet? Conversely, I thought the vocals were just perfect. Ha! We are all different in what we perceive or like aren't we?

I just kept thinking, if this were an actual Steven Wilson disc, the drums would be pronounced.....but this is Marillion, who I know nothing about. Maybe drums were never meant to be heard...I dunno.

I will vote a 8. For me, mostly due to the drums (in my opinion) buried and without any snap whatsoever. Generally I don't nit-pick, but for some reason, I felt inclined to lay it all out there for the world to see.

Just listening for the 2nd time and followed the lyrics to Blind Curve and noticed that they are wrong in a couple of places, e.g. 'Cold Moan' instead of 'Moon' & 'Soup Ladies' instead of 'Ladles', dug out my original LP and they are correct in there, duh, who transcribed this? I bet there are more mistakes in there, I'm gonna find 'em.
Also had a weird experience listening to Lady Nina the first time, Vocals sounded really odd and echoey! just tried it again and its sounding fine now in LPCM and DTS so I don't know what happened there.
On the whole I'm pleased with the sound and mix, its different from the Barclay James Harvest I was listening immediately before.

Interesting to hear everyone's takes on this. While I didn't say it, my very first impression was....why are the drums so quiet? Conversely, I thought the vocals were just perfect. Ha! We are all different in what we perceive or like aren't we?

What we each hear is critically dependent on the gear we're using and the acoustic environment in which we're hearing it. Everybody's playback system (which includes room interaction) is different. I'm going to try to listen to my copy tonight. We need lots more data points.

BTW, have you compared the stereo and 5.1 mixes? Are the drums as quiet in the stereo mix?

What we each hear is critically dependent on the gear we're using and the acoustic environment in which we're hearing it. Everybody's playback system (which includes room interaction) is different. I'm going to try to listen to my copy tonight. We need lots more data points.

BTW, have you compared the stereo and 5.1 mixes? Are the drums as quiet in the stereo mix?

Haha, no. Stereo will never get played. For the record, this is the first time I've ever said, "drums are too quiet". So....must be a preference thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So the first time I have heard the album in Probably 15 years since I sold the Original CD scratching for cash during a period of uncertainty, and getting rid of albums I just did not listen to.

History lesson over nice to get this album again and it seems to have aged better than I have. The mix is a touch more subtle than some of Steven's mixes but there is quite a bit going on and at times it's used to enhance the sound.

I like it a lot and it's a high 9 for fidelity and extras and 9 for the mix, thought the videos do seem to have aged as badly as I have

Misplaced Childhood, like Songs From The Big Chair (released in the same year), is a very precious album to me. It formed part of the soundtrack to my mid-teen years and was my first real experience of a prog concept album that I fully bought into. I don't think I was mature enough, musically, to really dig prog OR concept albums at the time, and then this album came along and totally changed all of that. Whisked away, as I was, by the melancholy of 'Kayleigh' and 'Lavender' which both suited my romantic shenanigans at that time, the album was incredibly accessible whilst retaining many of the cornerstones of the genre. Fish's lyrics were enthralling, as was the instrumental work of the band. As a drummer, I really loved Ian Mosley's work on the album.

So this is important, and my anticipation for this release was fuelled by excitement and trepidation, keen to hear this masterpiece (in my eyes) in my preferred format, but hoping that it wouldn't get screwed up. My trepidation was mitigated somewhat by the man at the helm of the 5.1 mix, naturally ;)

I've listened to this about 4 or 5 times now and I am 100% satisfied! In fact, I can't stop listening to it! Not only is it a joy to hear these songs again, but the mix is sympathetic, respectful and just the ticket. As Wilson has pointed out, there's not a lot to play with here, so I am not at all disappointed by the lack of any adventurous movements. Doing so would've been out of place and jarring. It is, as Wilson states, a more open and immersive experience that simply explores the original stereo mix a bit further. It feels very comfortable and I believe the balance was struck for this particular album.

The 4x CDs should also get a mention here. A very nice stereo remaster and the full Utrecht live show is great to hear, as are the b-sides, versions and demos. I really do like an era-encompassing package like this.

As for the packaging, I have little or no complaint. Lots to read and look at, a nice weighty object and nice to look at and hold.

I genuinely can't fault this. 10.

Well, I finally found time to have a listen. I have an issue with the upper bass on certain tracks, but I determined it is not the disc's fault, but rather suspect it's a problem with my room's acoustics. This is a very nice, spacious mix that isn't very discrete in the surrounds but is quite satisfying nonetheless. I don't think steering things to the surround channels would really improve it. I found that I actually prefer the '98 CD remaster ever so slightly more, but that's just personal preference, and of course, it's in stereo. The sound on this blu-ray is excellent.

Last edited:
After reading your review, I was seriously concerned that I had possibly listened to something completely different. So much so that I put the disc back in this morning and listened again.

Bitter Suite – where are the drums at the beginning of Bitter Suite? They should be prominent. During the section after the band comes in and plays the Lavender theme again, there’s a horrible upper bass thing going on that sounds like amp feedback or a bad resonance. It renders this portion of the track, about a minute’s worth, unlistenable!

I'm not quite sure much more prominent you want those drums to be, but they seem as prominent as the stereo version (be it the original '85 vinyl, the remastered CD or the version offered in this set) to my ears. And I have no idea about this "upper bass thing". Not hearing it here.

Waterhole (Expresso Bongo) – The original mix has what sounds like a marimba but may be a synth throughout most of the song, but it is so buried in the 5.1 mix you’d never know it was there if you weren’t familiar with the original stereo mix. This is important! The song misses something without it. Listen to the original mix to hear what I’m talking about.
That odd upper bass thing mentioned above is also present here, during Rothery’s solo. Again, unlistenable! It is horrid.

I can hear the marimba sound quite well, although it is more in the rears and therefore I can understand how some might perceive it to be less prominent. Again, no "upper bass thing" here.

The top end sounds rolled off. Cymbals and hi-hat are muted and indistinct most of the time. Meanwhile, the bass is too hot through most of the album.

Again, can't quite agree with this. The bass does indeed cut through, mainly because it's exceptional bass playing but certainly not because it is too hot. I'm a bass fiend, so maybe this is just because I like my bass. But as a drummer who scrutinises drum parts very closely, I was perfectly happy with the crispness and clarity of the metal parts of the kit.

There is nothing new to be heard in any of the mixes. In practically all other MC releases I’ve ever heard, there was always something that I hadn’t heard before, or at least certain elements that became much clearer (vocals, especially). Not this time! Since nothing interesting is going on surround-wise, what is the point? We can listen to the stereo mix in Dolby Pro Logic II and get a surround-y effect that is nearly the equal of what Wilson did here. I know because I compared them this way. About 2/3 of the album has more clarity and detail in the original stereo mix than in the 5.1. That is shocking. It’s supposed to be the other way around.

Reading this part begins to make me feel that it isn't the mix, nor the listener, that is at fault here but possibly the listening system. I know that this statement will attract a defensive response of the listener's equipment, their technical ability and how everything else sounds fine through it, but aside from physical defects with actual ears or a faulty disc, I can't think of any other reason. Maybe it's a case of becoming so conditioned to a particular mix that anything else sounds skewed and unnatural. I felt that way ever so slightly with Songs From The Big Chair, but soon adapted and now prefer the 5.1 mix to anything else.

Wilson himself has gone on record stating that he was surprised at how few multi-tracks there were in this album, that for the most part, it's just guitars, drums, bass and some keys, which in turn doesn't give him much to work with in respect of uncovering otherwise hidden parts or creating an "adventurous" 5.1 mix. He said that he attempted to create a fuller version of the stereo mix and I think he nailed it, personally.

I appreciate that everyone will have their own opinion, but when I read claims that differ so much from my own, I try and re-evaluate my own experience again in case I missed something. Having played the disc twice now since reading this review, on two distinctly different 5.1 rigs that I have here, I simply cannot replicate or hear the complaints levelled against this mix and stand by my own opinion that this is a highly respectful an sympathetic mix that has me listening to this album over and over again, much like I did in '85.

Here's hoping this counter-opinion is taken gracefully and it doesn't turn into a mud slinger ;)

Here's hoping this counter-opinion is taken gracefully and it doesn't turn into a mud slinger ;)

Certainly not! And obviously whatever the reason for what I heard, I'm the only one so far who has these complaints. I'm as surprised as you are and I have no explanation other than I heard what I heard.

My first thought as I began to listen to the surround mix was that there must be something wrong with my system, or my ears. But when I popped in the '98 CD and heard something very different, I'm inclined not to blame my system or my ears. I'm going to give it a fresh listen this evening.

Certainly not!

Delighted to hear it :)

And obviously whatever the reason for what I heard, I'm the only one so far who has these complaints. I'm as surprised as you are and I have no explanation other than I heard what I heard.

It will be interesting to see if anyone else feels the same way. As you alluded to earlier, more data points are needed.

My first thought as I began to listen to the surround mix was that there must be something wrong with my system, or my ears. But when I popped in the '98 CD and heard something very different, I'm inclined not to blame my system or my ears. I'm going to give it a fresh listen this evening.

I know for a fact that I have become so conditioned to a mix of a long-term favourite that anything that differs, even if only slightly, stands out a mile. It can be unnerving and I wonder if this may be contributing to your experience. I went and had another listen, switching between LPCM and DTS-HD encodings and what I began to maybe discern was that the higher frequencies may, and this is just a thought, have been pushed towards the rears. I found that as I moved closer to them, the top end seemed to increase on a number of elements. In one room, there is about 3.5 metre's distance from sweet spot to the fronts, and about 1 metre from the rears. In my other room, it is much more compact and in that room, I would say the higher frequencies are more pronounced. This is far from scientific, but just an observation :)

I'll be keen to hear your thoughts after a second listen, maybe even after a few more. Maybe the conditioning will be eroded?

Have fun, and try not to let this spoil your enjoyment of a magnificent album :)

I know for a fact that I have become so conditioned to a mix of a long-term favourite that anything that differs, even if only slightly, stands out a mile. It can be unnerving and I wonder if this may be contributing to your experience.

I know what you mean. Once you become familiar with something, any differences seem 'wrong'. I'd like to think this is another case of that phenomenon, but there are many other titles I own that fall into this category and I didn't have the same experience upon a first listen to them.

Maybe my review was too knee-jerk. I shall give it another chance this evening.

Delighted to hear it :)

It will be interesting to see if anyone else feels the same way. As you alluded to earlier, more data points are needed.

I know for a fact that I have become so conditioned to a mix of a long-term favourite that anything that differs, even if only slightly, stands out a mile. It can be unnerving and I wonder if this may be contributing to your experience. I went and had another listen, switching between LPCM and DTS-HD encodings and what I began to maybe discern was that the higher frequencies may, and this is just a thought, have been pushed towards the rears. I found that as I moved closer to them, the top end seemed to increase on a number of elements. In one room, there is about 3.5 metre's distance from sweet spot to the fronts, and about 1 metre from the rears. In my other room, it is much more compact and in that room, I would say the higher frequencies are more pronounced. This is far from scientific, but just an observation :)

I'll be keen to hear your thoughts after a second listen, maybe even after a few more. Maybe the conditioning will be eroded?

Have fun, and try not to let this spoil your enjoyment of a magnificent album :)

I know what you mean. Once you become familiar with something, any differences seem 'wrong'. I'd like to think this is another case of that phenomenon, but there are many other titles I own that fall into this category and I didn't have the same experience upon a first listen to them.

Maybe my review was too knee-jerk. I shall give it another chance this evening.

Very god job both of you guys for keeping the discussion civil, which is often not there in discussion forums.
Yes, it is ok to disagree and it is possible to disagree without throwing fireballs at each others... (y)

Back