Newbie question - making my own 5.1 mixes

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

privateuniverse

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Hey all, looking for guidance from those of you more knowledgeable than I. Many years ago, I had a piece of software that allowed me to load up six individual mono .wav files (intended for fl/center/fr/rl/rr/lfe channels) and it would convert them into a single 5.1 DTS encoded .wav file, which when burned to a CD, would play as a 5.1 DTS CD. The computer that I had it on crashed long ago and I don't have the install anymore.

I assume there is now a better version of this that would create files in DVD-A format (or some other format that is at least better than DTS CD.) Can anyone point me in the direction of some software (for Windows) that can create the 5.1 files for me? Preferably something that's freeware if such a thing exists.

Thanks in advance for any help that anyone can offer.

Looks like i am the first to answer.
I bet you will soon get very good advices from the people that REALLY know what they are talking about.
But i can tell you my way for this.
I have all my audio files in flac-format, could be wav of course.
I bought the program AVS Audio converter ( and all the other programs they offer, look at avs4you.com )
I can transfer any audio file to 5.1 or quad if i want.
To me even fake 5.1 sound better than quad but that is propably becuse of my audio setup.
I have transfered all my audio files to 5.1 now and am even working on transfering my CD collection also.
It has really been worth the effort.

The next step for you would be to make the DVD-a.
I haven´t done any dvd´s for some years, i am listening to my audio files through my Cambridge bluray player.
I remember using DVDlab but there must be many good programs for this and you will surely get more advices here soon.

interesting discussion. I'd like to be able to put all my surround files onto my portable drive which goes between two houses.

Audicity and Audiomuxer if you don't mind a Blu-ray disc. Both are free...

These programs can be used to author a blu ray? :yikes
Can they also do DVD-A?
In either case, what are the available streams? MLP? LPCM? And DTS options?

No Dvd-audio. DTS and wav (flac) to bluray (avchd). edit: Also DTS-MA if you need to re-author...

Back