David Gilmour - Live at Pompeii (various formats) - Sept 29th

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onthewall2983

[video=youtube;T-jeXcC0xNw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-jeXcC0xNw&t=0s[/video]

51HGwB0GX4L._SS500.jpg

45 years after Pink Floyd’s David Gilmour filmed ‘Live At Pompeii’ in the legendary Roman Amphitheatre there, he returned for two spectacular shows that took place on 7 & 8 July 2016, part of his year-long tour in support of his No.1 album ‘Rattle That Lock’. The performances were the first-ever rock concerts for an audience in the stone Roman amphitheatre, and, for two nights only, the 2,600 strong crowd stood exactly where gladiators would have fought in the first century AD.

‘David Gilmour Live At Pompeii’ is an audio experience on its own, while the audio-visual spectacle features lasers, pyrotechnics and a huge circular screen on which specially-created films complement selected songs. Paramount, however, is the incredible music: the show includes songs from throughout David's career, as well as many Pink Floyd classics, including 'One Of These Days', the only song that was also performed at the band’s 1971 show.

Both concerts also saw very special performances of 'The Great Gig In The Sky' from 'The Dark Side Of The Moon' which David rarely plays as a solo artist. The 2-disc concert CD was produced by David Gilmour, and mixed by Andy Jackson and David Gilmour. The 148-minute concert film includes highlights from both shows, filmed in 4k by director Gavin Elder. DVD and Blu-ray versions contain an extra 7-minute documentary by Gavin Elder ‘Pompeii Then And Now’, while the Deluxe Blu-ray 4-disc box contains the 2xCD version, the 1xBlu-ray version, and a full 207 minutes of extra footage: 11 live performances and 5 documentaries, plus bonus collectables. Vinyl lovers can enjoy a deluxe 4xLP version in gatefold sleeves and a hardback slipcase, plus a 24-page photo booklet.

‘David Gilmour Live At Pompeii’ shows an artist at the top of his artistic game, performing incredible material with his world-class band, in a unique setting on one very special occasion.

I'll give the movie release a miss but I'll buy the blu-ray in September! I wonder if we'll get an Andy Jackson Atmos or DTS:X soundtrack on the bluray set?

Edit: No Atmos or DTS:X

Bluray Tracklist:
Part 1:
5 A.M. (3.54)
Rattle That Lock (4.40)
Faces Of Stone (6.01)
What Do You Want From Me (4.34)
The Blue (6.30)
The Great Gig In The Sky (6.01)
A Boat Lies Waiting (4.55)
Wish You Were Here (5.18)
Money (8.12)
In Any Tongue (8.02)
High Hopes (9.58)2:
One Of These Days (6.35)
Shine On You Crazy Diamond (12.37)
Fat Old Sun (5.58)
Coming Back To Life (7.16)
On An Island (7.08)
Today (6.34)
Sorrow (10.49)
Run Like Hell (7.15)
Time / Breathe (In The Air) (reprise) (6.45)
Comfortably Numb (9.41)

Documentary:
Pompeii Then And Now Doc (7.17)

Hello folks,

Just read below, looks like and nice (and hopefully affordable) release for Pompeii's DG gigs. I don't expect anything apart from an atmospheric surround mix made by Andy Jackson, but a must buy for me (maybe I'll be able to spot myself on the Blu-ray!):

As taken from David Gilmour's blog:

Here we are, then: Live at Pompeii, released on or around 29th September, in various formats.

So, after enjoying it in the cinema on 13th September, you won’t have long to wait before you can enjoy it again in your home or car.

Available on CD, DVD, Blu-ray, LP and as a digital download, there will be documentaries, extra footage – both in-concert and behind-the-scenes footage – from Pompeii and beyond, as well as delightful souvenirs that help make an already lovely set that little bit lovelier.

Of course, there’s a double CD (2xCD) with 21 live tracks from Pompeii.

The standard Blu-ray package consists of the concert in 96/24 PCM Stereo and 96/24 DTS MAA (no, me neither, but it sounds good), and a seven-minute ‘Pompeii Then and Now’ documentary.

Likewise, the standard DVD (2xDVD): Stereo PCM, 5.1 Dolby Digital, 5.1 DTS plus the ‘Then and Now’ documentary.

The vinyl version (4xLP) contains four records in two gatefold sleeves, poly liner inner sleeves and a booklet in a slipcase.

And then, best of all, there’s the Blu-ray + CD Deluxe Edition Boxset made up of two CDs (the standard 2xCD package) and two Blu-rays in special packaging. The first is the concert, the same as the standard Blu-ray; the second, a bonus disc with 65 minutes of concert footage:

1) South America (December 2015)
The songs are: ‘Astronomy Domine’, ‘Us and Them’, ‘Today’, ‘Time’ / ‘Breathe (In the Air) [Reprise]’ and ‘Comfortably Numb’ – the latter with Jon Carin sharing the vocal duties.

2) Wrocław, Poland (June 2016)
Complete with orchestra, the songs are: ‘5 A.M.’, ‘Rattle That Lock’, ‘Dancing Right In Front Of Me’, ‘The Girl In the Yellow Dress’ (featuring Leszek Możdżer on piano) and ‘In Any Tongue’.

Both of these are directed by Aubrey ‘Po’ Powell.

But that’s not all. There are further documentaries – courtesy of Gavin Elder – focusing on Europe 2015, South America 2015, North America 2015 and Europe 2016, as well as the BBC’s ‘Wider Horizons’ documentary first broadcast in November 2015.

Completing the set and providing a special memento for anyone who was fortunate enough to be in attendance for those two special nights in Mount Vesuvius’ eerie shadow: a photo booklet, Pompeii Guide, set of four postcards and a poster.

For tracklisting, running times, full technical specifications and a glimpse of how it will all look, please see www.davidgilmour.com

Enough extra stuff in the deluxe to get my sale, though I'm going to price-watch a bit before ordering. Looks really great though.

I combined both threads into one, and I also ordered the deluxe edition from amazon.com
With all that content on 2 CDs and 2 Blu-ray Discs, it was a no-brainer for me!

:)

I'm totally getting this, but I wonder why there's no 4K offering since it was shot in 4K??

I went to place an order and changed my mind. I watch most of my live concert videos once or twice. Then, they sit there and I may watch them again, down the road apiece. Or, not! Unless, it's something really good and I'll watch that several more times. Crap! I have music concert videos still in their shrinkrap. I just had to have them!!! I'd be interested in a 4K version. So, I'll hold off and see if a 4K version is released. Or, not.

:walker

I'm totally getting this, but I wonder why there's no 4K offering since it was shot in 4K??

A 4K version might come out at a later date, but that market is still so fresh that I can understand if Gilmour and his team are hesitant about putting out a 4K version so soon.

Well, placed order with Amazon US and it came to $74.35 with tax. WOW! Expensive. It will go down for sure, but how low? Since Amazon doesn't charge my account till it ships, no harm.

I also placed order with BullMoose for $54 shipped, USPS priority (2-3 day)
They do charge your account upon order, but I can't justify paying $74.35 in case Amazon doesn't lower it by much. In that case, I'll cancel Amazon and simply keep Bull.

Well, placed order with Amazon US and it came to $74.35 with tax. WOW! Expensive. It will go down for sure, but how low? Since Amazon doesn't charge my account till it ships, no harm.

I also placed order with BullMoose for $54 shipped, USPS priority (2-3 day)
They do charge your account upon order, but I can't justify paying $74.35 in case Amazon doesn't lower it by much. In that case, I'll cancel Amazon and simply keep Bull.

But Gene, keep track of your orders. Don't end up getting 2 copies or else you'll be crying' the blues. Bullmoose price is almost $25 cheaper from the get go. How much lower will Amazon really go? BTW, Amazon probably has THE best prices on BD~Vs but when it comes to music, NOT so great. Just an observation.

Stay tuned.

But Gene, keep track of your orders. Don't end up getting 2 copies or else you'll be crying' the blues. Bullmoose price is almost $25 cheaper from the get go. How much lower will Amazon really go? BTW, Amazon probably has THE best prices on BD~Vs but when it comes to music, NOT so great. Just an observation.

Stay tuned.

I'm trying Ralph, I'm trying. Hectic life leads to bad memory. I do have them logged in a folder in email. :)

Back