David Gilmour - Live at Pompeii (various formats) - Sept 29th

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did the Amazon.it thing - can always cancel if I see something better. No rush for me to receive it so if it takes a week or two or three then so be it.

I'm trying Ralph, I'm trying. Hectic life leads to bad memory. I do have them logged in a folder in email. :)

If you recall, the box set of Gilmour's Rattle That Lock was reduced to $10 @ AmazonUS.....and that was a very nice boxset.

Now, if they'd ONLY re~release Gilmour's fantastic Live at Gdansk complete on BD~A/V!!!!!!!:banana:

Looking forward to buy it. David is one of the greatest guitar players ever. He's like wine, gets better with age. I hope he played some of the Floyd songs.

I'll give the movie release a miss but I'll buy the blu-ray in September! I wonder if we'll get an Andy Jackson Atmos or DTS:X soundtrack on the bluray set?

Edit: No Atmos or DTS:X

I don't understand the lack of Atmos on the blu-ray.

The theatrical release was advertised to have Atmos sound so if that were true there would have been an Atmos mix done.

The audio doesn't do it for me in stereo, so I don't know what Atmos is going to fix...

Is this comment based on the audio in the preview clip?

Am curious exactly what you find lacking or needing to be fixed.

^ It's that voice in "Rattle That Lock" that brought me to getting the last couple of Pink Floyd albums that were done without Roger. I've never heard them. David's voice is like a fine wine. Gets much better with age. Now, Roger's voice? It's pretty bad. Although, I've heard samples, I cannot even listen to his new record.

To each their own. ;)

^ It's that voice in "Rattle That Lock" that brought me to getting the last couple of Pink Floyd albums that were done without Roger. I've never heard them. David's voice is like a fine wine. Gets much better with age. Now, Roger's voice? It's pretty bad. Although, I've heard samples, I cannot even listen to his new record.

To each their own. ;)

Truth. We're all listening for different things. Different expectations and tastes. There are die-hard Rush fans who think Geddy's voice aged nicely. Up to a point I agree. The fine wine analogy has been used for him too! However, I find it unbearable for their last few tours. With limited money and time for music listening we all have to make our choices somehow!
For me, I'll take Gilmour's vocal from his hey day over the current era. Same for Rush, Van Morrison and so many others. One vocalist I can think of who actually sounds BETTER in his later years (especially live - the studio albums are fairly consistent) is Bruce Dickinson, from Iron Maiden. He trains hard and takes very good care of his voice (though his throat and tongue cancer recovery set him back a bit - he still sounds better live currently).
On older recordings he is hoarse and flat a LOT. Can't hardly bear those concerts. In latter days (Flight 666 and En Vivo) he sounds wonderful. Voice is in control and simply pleasant. So, I don't just pick on singers who have aged just because. I'm not trying to dissuade anybody from happily purchasing this set. Just throwing one man's opinion out there.

Truth. We're all listening for different things. Different expectations and tastes. There are die-hard Rush fans who think Geddy's voice aged nicely. Up to a point I agree. The fine wine analogy has been used for him too! However, I find it unbearable for their last few tours. With limited money and time for music listening we all have to make our choices somehow!

I agree with you on Geddy. I have a feeling that Clockwork Angels may be the last album that he sounds okay on. As much as I like Rush's last couple of in-concert BD's, that singing voice is getting 'long in the tooth' and sounds like he is screaming (off key), more than he is trying to project a melody.

This is only constructive criticism but I feel for people that I've listened to all my life who's voices start to deteriorate. Another example is Paul McCartney. It's sad and just goes to show I'm getting old. :yikes

Last edited:
I agree with you on Geddy. I have a feeling that Clockwork Angels may be the last album that he sounds okay on. As much as I like Rush's last couple of in-concert BD's, that singing voice is getting 'long in the tooth' and sounds like he is screaming (off key), more than he is trying to project a melody.

This is only constructive criticism but I feel for people that I've listened to all my life who's voices start to deteriorate. Another example is Paul McCartney. It' sad and just goes to show I'm getting old. :yikes

How about one last Rush album, all instrumentals, and no muddy sound. That's all I Need. And a thermos. That's all I need.

I agree with you on Geddy. I have a feeling that Clockwork Angels may be the last album that he sounds okay on.
I'd give that nod to Snakes & Arrows. Last album and tour on which his voice was in good (read: not great) form. His vocal peak—overall, not in terms of range—was probably Presto.

Back