Mansun's 'Six' - 5.1 remix coming in 2019

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 1679

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Just saw this thread pop up over at that other place and thought I'd post it here - put it in the rumors section for now, I guess it can get moved once there's better confirmation and more specifics on format(s).

Not a fan of the band, so no real interest for me, but I suppose it's great to see another band get into the 5.1 stuff, always welcome.

Just saw this thread pop up over at that other place and thought I'd post it here - put it in the rumors section for now, I guess it can get moved once there's better confirmation and more specifics on format(s).

Not a fan of the band, so no real interest for me, but I suppose it's great to see another band get into the 5.1 stuff, always welcome.

Am currently listening to MP3 samples from AmazonUK for Mansun 6. Not familiar with this group but like the samples I'm hearing and since it'll be a SW remix [albeit in DTS.......ugh!] worth a purchase.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Six-Mansun...TF8&qid=1500754655&sr=1-1&keywords=mansun+six

Makes sense, Steven likes Six (his favourite album by Mansun and I think he holds the debut close at heart too) as well as his new collaboration with Paul on his debut - give me!! And please give me Mansuns debut in 5.1, one of the best debuts ever imo!

I think I'll have to go back and give them another go. I didn't hate it back then but didn't like it enough to go buy anything - perhaps my taste has changed now, and a listen to a few tracks imagining how it might work in 5.1 is worth the time.

Never heard of these guys! But that is true quite often in this obsession of mine...

Join the club.

Sometimes I feel I've 'zoned out' on a lot of so called classic 80's and 90's rock/pop/prog, etc. albums.:yikes

In all fairness, during the 90's I was fixated on Laserdiscs and discovered a lot of great long form music videos via the format.....some of which were truly outstanding.

Where exactly did it say that this was being remixed by Steven Wilson?

Aside from the guy that posted saying it, nowhere, but I think there may have been more posts from that FB thread he screen capped and maybe that's where it came from? Or maybe just an assumption? Like I said - that's why I put it all in the rumor section. If the cat is out of the bag now, maybe we'll get some kind of confirmation and details soon.

In the meantime I did go over to Youtube and play a couple songs and did like it better than I remembered - I was more a "shoegaze" guy and not a britpopper (Steven....please do Slowdive stuff!)....so if this is a reality and it comes in a set that isn't expensive I might be convinced to buy.

Aside from the guy that posted saying it, nowhere, but I think there may have been more posts from that FB thread he screen capped and maybe that's where it came from? Or maybe just an assumption? Like I said - that's why I put it all in the rumor section. If the cat is out of the bag now, maybe we'll get some kind of confirmation and details soon.

In the meantime I did go over to Youtube and play a couple songs and did like it better than I remembered - I was more a "shoegaze" guy and not a britpopper (Steven....please do Slowdive stuff!)....so if this is a reality and it comes in a set that isn't expensive I might be convinced to buy.

Hi Dopplebock...

I was the bloke whose wall Mr Draper popped up on to announce the 5.1 surround mix (plus some kind of double vinyl 20th anniversary box set to accompany) after I'd made a passing comment that I hoped 'Six' would get the full monty treatment from Mr Wilson. Paul isn't the kind of bloke to say something he doesn't mean, and with Steven doing the 5.1 on 'Spooky Action'... Paul didn't issue a rebuttal when I announced it on Mansun's FB page so... hey, don't shoot the messenger! :) Six 5.1 World Exclusive.jpg

Hi Dopplebock...

I was the bloke whose wall Mr Draper popped up on to announce the 5.1 surround mix (plus some kind of double vinyl 20th anniversary box set to accompany) after I'd made a passing comment that I hoped 'Six' would get the full monty treatment from Mr Wilson. Paul isn't the kind of bloke to say something he doesn't mean, and with Steven doing the 5.1 on 'Spooky Action'... Paul didn't issue a rebuttal when I announced it on Mansun's FB page so... hey, don't shoot the messenger! :)

No shots fired! Thanks for stopping in and adding to the conversation, and if you do happen to come across more info please share here if you can! :)

Where did it ever say that Steven Wilson was the one that mixed "Spooky Action" in 5.1 surround?
AFAIK, SW has made no mention of the album at all.

Where did it ever say that Steven Wilson was the one that mixed "Spooky Action" in 5.1 surround?

Indeed, I can't see anything anywhere that suggests SW did the 5.1 mix, usually it would be posted on the 'Steven Wilson Remixes' Facebook page too, but I've not seen a thing. Looks like the 3 disc book is sold out in most places, or at least out of stock...

Indeed, I can't see anything anywhere that suggests SW did the 5.1 mix, usually it would be posted on the 'Steven Wilson Remixes' Facebook page too, but I've not seen a thing. Looks like the 3 disc book is sold out in most places, or at least out of stock...

Sorry, Simon, I don't follow Steven Wilson's FB posts to be frank. I only know him from his days with TPT and the (excellent) XTC surround blu-rays. I was actually in the middle of a discussion on Radiohead playing Tel Aviv (with Radiohead's EMI International Rep, Carol Baxter) when I got around to discussing my days cavorting with Parlophone, and how Mansun had cancelled a gig (on the Six tour at Oxford Brookes Uni, with my band supporting) over a broken pedal board - at which point Mr Draper rode in to (finally) explain to me what happened that night in 1999 (leaving a couple of thou people outside - plus a bunch of ladies who had flown all the way from Tokyo for the gig - and us ÂŁ250 out of pocket).

PD then dropped the 'Six in 5.1' bomb for no apparent reason. I know he's been working with SW on SA, and that 'Six' is amongst his fave lps - one he's talked about doing a 5.1 on - so I put 2+2 together I asked PD further down the thread of SW involvement. He did not deny it. That's all I can add. Fingers crossed, etc.

Btw, for those that haven't heard PD's solo album, it's highly recommended (not heard the 5.1 though yet).

Apparently the surround mix of Spooky Action was done by one Paul PDub Wilson (no relation).

Burning Shed is now selling damaged box sets with the 5.1 at a reduced price. According to the label there will probably be no more re pressings so this will be everyone's last chance it seems to get the 3 disc box.

I don't like these snooze you loose limited releases Gong Paul Draper Pinapple Thief. They should be made more available. They all deserve a wider audience reissue in different packaging if need be but make them available

I don't like these snooze you loose limited releases Gong Paul Draper Pinapple Thief. They should be made more available. They all deserve a wider audience reissue in different packaging if need be but make them available

The Pineapple Thief are doing just that with the release of the "Where We Stood" Blu-Ray in October.
It will contain the "Your Wilderness" 5.1 mix, along with a lot more content for a much cheaper price than the "Your Wilderness" deluxe edition was originally sold for.

:)

Sure glad I put this in the rumor section as any real info is way way deep inside some rabbit hole, and seems more and more likely the "Wilson" in the initial offering may have been confused with the other. A "no denial" isn't always a confirmation.

maybe it's true, maybe not...but for the moment, with no additional info, it seems to lean heavier to not.

I put my play lists on face book weekly, and this week's included Spooky action and I usually tag the artist, shocked to get Paul Draper asking what I thought !!!!

So I did ask about Mansun and he confirmed Six so be released next year. ? so I am happy that six will be released in 5.1 next year.

Apparently the surround mix of Spooky Action was done by one Paul PDub Wilson (no relation).

Scratch that, I copied the name from a post in that other forum, but the guy's real name is Walton, not Wilson. Paul "PDub" Walton.

I noticed because he is in the credits for To The Bone, he helped Steven mix the title track.

Back