QS-encoded Impulse Jazz titles available as MP3 downloads

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all! I couldn't find a similar thread here so I started this one. Apologies if I didn't look in the right section. I am "jazzed" to report that after downloading the $6 MP3 option of the Impulse Jazz title Dewey Redman "The Ear of the Behearer" last night, I am now sending it through my Surround Master directly from my desktop computer and BINGO! I can hear this album in all its free jazz quad glory! Granted, the download is lossy, but the surround experience is not. Much more cost effective than the old LP or CD (and easier to find too). I'll be looking to discover more quad-encoded downloads, especially from the early 70s series of QS Impulse releases. Aside from the Dewey Redman, does anyone know of other QS or SQ downloads readily available? Cheers!
redman_dewe_earoftheb_101b.jpg

I am surprised that the QS encoding survived the MP3 ravages ... sorry, I mean processes. I doubt that SQ would be that forgiving.

I am surprised that the QS encoding survived the MP3 ravages ... sorry, I mean processes. I doubt that SQ would be that forgiving.

Yeah - I was both surprised and relieved myself! SQ could prove to be more problematic, I agree. Won't stop me from experimenting a bit. QS seems to be the more robust format - yet there aren't as many titles. That's what caught my attention with those Impulse jazz releases. Unfortunately, original LPs can command a premium via auction sites, etc..

I also did an experiment with streaming from youtube. I pulled up Keith Jarrett's Death of a Flower and streamed it through the Surround Master. Pretty decent surround decoding, but not as good as the MP3 download. FWIW, the Dewey Redman MP3 was a lowest possible yet tolerable 256 kbps. Still plenty enjoyable! Cheers!
----------- Chris

Back