Deep Purple MH UK Q8 NOS: clueless seller?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winopener

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-EMI-UK-...934215?hash=item569e3c3887:g:6u0AAOSwKl5ZdO1a

3000 UK Pound? And for a third-run copy?
Not considering that:
- it is the most available title of the "seriously rocking UK quad" done by EMI
- this mix IMHO sucks compared to the USA cd4/q8/qr
- this mix has already been released in digital format twice
- this mix IMHO sucks compared to the 2000 DVD-A release
????

Hard to fetch 50-60 quid on that one.... 3000? :chill

Yikes! This guy is whacked out. The EMI UK DSOTM usually sells for under $500 these days, and that's the key title in that series.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-EMI-UK-...934215?hash=item569e3c3887:g:6u0AAOSwKl5ZdO1a

3000 UK Pound? And for a third-run copy?
Not considering that:
- it is the most available title of the "seriously rocking UK quad" done by EMI
- this mix IMHO sucks compared to the USA cd4/q8/qr
- this mix has already been released in digital format twice
- this mix IMHO sucks compared to the 2000 DVD-A release
????

Hard to fetch 50-60 quid on that one.... 3000? :chill

I guess we differ on this one...it's always been my favorite mix of the three. And I've always thought both quads are miles ahead of the 5.1. One of the worst DVD-As IMO. Never understood why Warner made these super front-centric 5.1 mixes for DVD-A when they could have used a lot of old quad masters.

Also gotta love "the biggest sound around"...the UK SACD version of this title really does live up to that title.

I agree, for me the UK quad mix (on SACD) is the preferable mix of the three. The only small mark against it I think is that a small portion of the guitar solo in Lazy was omitted, presumably to even out the running time between A & B sides on the Q8.

I like the 5.1 DVD-A mix though, it's not 4-corner quad but I don't think it's nearly as front centric as a lot of lesser 5.1 mixes.

I'm not sure why the seller is trying to get so much for that tape - he's been selling Q8's on eBay for more than 10 years and his starting prices have slowly escalated, but nothing like the £3000 he's trying to get for this tape. Presumably he's just hoping someone will message him and offer him a fraction of that price.

I'm not sure if the EMI Q8's were originally shrinkwrapped like that but it definitely isn't in the correct case. I picked up a copy of this tape a few years ago from a seller who was dumping a load of UK tapes in what I believe is the original plastic sleeve, which was like a two part stiff polymer sleeve, where one half slotted in to the other, with the u-shaped cardboard insert and the tape inside.

For anyone looking at buying this, I sold the tape a couple of years ago on eBay for somewhere in the region of $175 to someone in Switzerland I think, and it seemed like a ridiculously high price. Obviously if you're just after the music the UK SACD is the way to go and you can get it for a fraction of the price of the Q8.

Here's a photo I put up on QQ when I originally got the tape that shows the UK Q8 both in and out of the original poly sleeve - note there's still a price tag on the back from a shop called "The Tape Revolution" - this is the UK chain that became the 'Our Price' chain of record shops in 1976 which I think pretty much means you're seeing the original sleeve for this tape.

uk_q8s.jpg

I'm not sure if the EMI Q8's were originally shrinkwrapped like that but it definitely isn't in the correct case. I picked up a copy of this tape a few years ago from a seller who was dumping a load of UK tapes in what I believe is the original plastic sleeve, which was like a two part stiff polymer sleeve, where one half slotted in to the other, with the u-shaped cardboard insert and the tape inside.

The case is correct, EMI UK did several variations of these (hard plastic single mold, hard plastic single mold with halfmoon for handling,
hard plastic two mold with halfmoon for handling, soft plastic single mold)... a true mess, you can find still sealed 1974-1975 releases with 3 different cases.

This smells rotten...
anytime that I see "factory shrinkwrapped" where it shouldn't be, it's a fake...ANYBODY can shrinkwrap stuff....this guy is a a greedy bastard...wouldn't touch that with a 10 foot pole!!!!!

Back