Atlanta Rhythm Section - possible quad masters?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steelydave

Super Moderator
Staff member
Since 2002/2003
Just doing some google searching and came across an interesting mention on an online US law archive/portal about a lawsuit between the Atlanta Rhythm Section and Polygram Records. This was the pertinent bit about their contract:

Delivery under the agreement required BBP to "deliver completed, edited and fully mixed master tapes in accordance with the Company's reasonable instructions" comprising a two-track stereo and a discrete quadraphonic master tape for each Master recorded hereunder together with a "reference lacquer" therefor, which tape shall be fully edited, mixed and leadered prior to delivery to Company [Polygram] so that they are in proper form for the production of parts necessary for the *250 manufacture of commercial Phonograph Records.

Now Polygram obviously didn't put anything out in quad, but it makes you wonder if this was standard wording/a standard requirement in record contracts, and how many of their artists may have prepared quad mixes that were never released.

It's sort of complex sorting out which companies owned which labels, but during the quad era it appears that PolygGram owned Polydor, Phillips, Verve, Mercury, MGM, Casablanca, and others. Intriguing to think about anyway...

Interesting info Dave.

As much as this could very well have been standard fare for contracts during the quad era , it could also be the rationale behind some of our very favourite iconic artists "rejection of all things quad " and nowadays "surround".

Compelling the artists to record in quad and quite possibly not enjoying the spoils of their endeavor. Additionally they may have viewed this as "interferring" with their art.(I'm thinking Rod Stewart, and ARS , to name two )

It's sorta good news for all us quadraphiles who don't need to be convinced this is a natural or progressive means of enjoying those artists works, however .
And thankfully nowadays there is a chance thanks to the work by Steven Wilson, Tony Visconti, Alan Parsons, Elliot Scheiner, and a handful of others who have demonstrated the merits of surround.

Now if only we could link up those iconic naysayers that this is a good thing.

Just doing some google searching and came across an interesting mention on an online US law archive/portal about a lawsuit between the Atlanta Rhythm Section and Polygram Records. This was the pertinent bit about their contract:

Delivery under the agreement required BBP to "deliver completed, edited and fully mixed master tapes in accordance with the Company's reasonable instructions" comprising a two-track stereo and a discrete quadraphonic master tape for each Master recorded hereunder together with a "reference lacquer" therefor, which tape shall be fully edited, mixed and leadered prior to delivery to Company [Polygram] so that they are in proper form for the production of parts necessary for the *250 manufacture of commercial Phonograph Records.

Now Polygram obviously didn't put anything out in quad, but it makes you wonder if this was standard wording/a standard requirement in record contracts, and how many of their artists may have prepared quad mixes that were never released.

It's sort of complex sorting out which companies owned which labels, but during the quad era it appears that PolygGram owned Polydor, Phillips, Verve, Mercury, MGM, Casablanca, and others. Intriguing to think about anyway...

Sure would be a blast to have a peek through those Polydor/Polygram vaults to see what quads lay buried in there.

Lost but not forgotten quad copies of Eric Clapton's -E.C. WAS HERE on Polydor/RSO , or RORY GALLAGHER albums, and I think maybe even some MANFRED MANN'S EARTH BAND (later 70's) which were on Warner/Bronze earlier.

Ok now , bear with me but thanks to STEELYDAVE'S extraordinary sleuthing for quads unreleased :upthumb,
I have come up with a list of five possible Atlanta Rhythm Section recordings of which only( ? )Four were mixed in quad as requested by their label at the time-Polydor.

-as MasterDisc Studio was named in the litigants claim and Buddy Buie--here goes.

ARS-THIRD ANNUAL PIPE DREAM (74)

ARS-DOG DAYS (75)

ARS-RED TAPE (76)

ARS-CHAMPAGNE JAM (78)

ARS-UNDERDOG (79)

2 others--- ARE YOU READY (79) and BOYS FROM DORAVILLE (80) are the last Polydor releases but not with the studio as mentioned. They could be quad mixed , although it's unclear.

Well anyways I still find Steelydaves quad sleuthing a great find indeed so I thought I'd research it further.
Perhaps one day s..o..o..n ? Polydor will come clean and release these unreleased quads !!! :rolleyes:

Those would be awesome especially Red Tape and Champagne Jam. I played the crap out of those two in high school.

I've just realised that I'd seen the Atlanta Rhythm Section at the Knebworth Festival on 24th June 1978, Genesis were the headliner (along with Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers, Jefferson Starship, Brand X and a strange choice, Devo - who if I remember correctly didn't go down too well). The cost a whole £5.50!

Those would be awesome especially Red Tape

The start of Jukin would be great and it'd be nice to hear that San Antonio Rose mix opened up across the room. A pity that Rock and Roll Alternative wasn't on the list. So Into You is an all time favourite. These were the days of great musos in a rock and roll band. Probably never to be seen again

Back