Gentle Giant "Three Piece Suite" — Steven Wilson Mixes

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JediJoker

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Hold on to your butts...

9f39cc155caa5e60c307d4d8e97fa089.jpg

Amazon.de has a listing (in German) for a new Gentle Giant release, Three Piece Suite, on CD/Blu-ray—complete with product description! A translation from Progressive Ears:

This Blu-ray + CD in the Digipak contains the new Steven Wilson mixes in 96/24 PCM as well as DTS 5.1 surround sound. Furthermore, the Blu-ray contains animated videos to the tracks, instrumental mixes of all tracks, as well as all three complete original albums as 'flat transfer' in their original mixes.

The first three Gentle Giant albums - 'Giant', 'Acquiring The Taste' and 'Three Friends' - are classics of the (prog) rock history, but unfortunately some original bands [multi tracks] of these albums are probably missing forever. The total of nine tracks for which original tapes could be found formed the basis for Steven Wilson, who created stunning 5.1 and stereo mixes for this very special release. As a Bonustracks, Wilson has mixed the previously released song 'Freedom's Child' and a 7 '' edit of 'Nothing At All', also in 5.1 and 2.0.

'Three Piece Suite' includes the songs 'Giant', 'Nothing At All' and 'Why Not' from the debut album 'Giant', 'Pantagruel's Nativity', 'The House, The Street, The Room' Button 'and' Schooldays ',' Peel The Paint ',' Mr. Class And Quality? ' And 'Three Friends' from their third album 'Three Friends'. The Bonustrack 'Freedom's Child' comes from the first recording sessions with the legendary producer Tony Visconti.

The booklet contains detailed and interesting liner notes by journalist Anil Prasad, in which the band members recall the origins of the three albums. In addition, Tony Visconti describes the collaboration with the band, as well as the lasting impression this unique band has left on rock history.

Release date: Sept. 29th. Can't wait!

If Ray Shulman has done his "homework", he has been working on the authoring for over a year- taking TPATG as an example...he does a a great job, although there are other things he does that i do not think are cool...but that's another thing...

Wow, this will be a cool release!
I will definitely order once the page goes up on amazon.com
(BTW: here's the amazon.co.uk link when it becomes active: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Three-Piece-Suite-Steven-Wilson/dp/B073WQN29M/)

It's a shame that so many of their multitrack tapes are missing, but if they still cannot locate the tapes for "In A Glass House", then next year, they should have Steven Wilson remix "Free Hand" and release it on Blu-Ray along with a corrected Quadraphonic mix.
I think that's a release we can all get behind!

:)

...if they still cannot locate the tapes for "In A Glass House", then next year, they should have Steven Wilson remix "Free Hand" and release it on Blu-Ray along with a corrected Quadraphonic mix.
Are the Free Hand multis accounted for, then? At the very least, the existing quad mixes (so, Free Hand and ĭn′terview) transferred flat on Blu-ray would be nice.

Last edited:
Good news, more Gentle Giant.:D

Was wondering why the delay. Oh well , not 3 friends or one of the 3 first discs but bits and pieces and that's ok for my tastes. Looking fwd to this. (y)

What a great model for a surround release: combining multiple albums into one package when some of the multitracks are missing.... maybe Steely Dan (Aja) or The Who (Who's Next) could do something similar!!
I can dream...

Are the Free Hand multis accounted for, then? At the very least, the existing quad mixes (so, Free Hand and ĭn′terview) transferred flat on Blu-ray would be nice.

Yes, AFAIK, they are accounted for. I distinctly remember an audio interview with Ray Shulman several years ago (around the time that "The Power and the Glory" was remixed) where he said that they did have all of the "Free Hand" multitrack tapes, so if that's true (and if the multitrack tapes for "In A Glass House" still cannot be found) I say "Free Hand" should definitely be next, and I am most supportive of such a release!

What a great model for a surround release: combining multiple albums into one package when some of the multitracks are missing.... maybe Steely Dan (Aja) or The Who (Who's Next) could do something similar!!
I can dream...

I thought all the Who's Next multis had been found by now.

As attractive as a surround Aja sounds, it would still be very bittersweet for me that remixes of two of the best tracks wouldn't be possible.

I thought all the Who's Next multis had been found by now.

As attractive as a surround Aja sounds, it would still be very bittersweet for me that remixes of two of the best tracks wouldn't be possible.

Yes, thats true.
But the Penteo upmixed on the Octupus Blu Ray by Gentle Giant aren't that bad. :)
I wish they would do the same with English Settlement.
Do 5.1 mixes if the multitapes are available, the rest with Penteo. :)

Yes, thats true.
But the Penteo upmixed on the Octupus Blu Ray by Gentle Giant aren't that bad. :)
I wish they would do the same with English Settlement.
Do 5.1 mixes if the multitapes are available, the rest with Penteo. :)

As far as XTC are concerned, they are better off remixing all of the albums that have all tapes available (as they have done so far) rather than worrying about ones right now that still have missing tapes. They can always continue to search for what has not been found yet.

Going back to Gentle Giant, if they would have decided to release "Three Friends" on its own with the 4 remixed tracks and the other 2 tracks upmixed (like they did with "Octopus") I would have been fine with that, but that would not have worked as well for the other 2 albums, given that there would have been more upmixes than actual remixes on those two records, so in this instance, I definitely think they made the right decision putting all of this material onto one release.

Really looking forward to this! :)

BTW, here's what Steven Wilson has to say about the release on his Remixes Facebook page:
On 29th September, Gentle Giant - Band will release a collection on Blu-Ray/CD and double vinyl called Three Piece Suite. This consists of my remixes of all the remaining multitrack tapes that could be found from their first 3 albums: Giant, Acquiring the Taste, and Three Friends. The available tapes comprise around half of the material originally issued across these 3 albums, with the remaining tracks missing, presumed lost.
The blu-ray is a real box-set-on-a-single-disc treat, containing high resolution flat transfers of all 3 of the original albums in complete form, and 10 tracks (approximately one hour of music) available in remixed stereo, instrumental stereo, and 5.1 surround sound. There are also animated videos for all of the remixed tracks. The booklet contains extensive liner notes by journalist Anil Prasad, including interviews with band members, original album producer Tony Visconti, and myself.
The tracks that have been newly remixed for this set are: 'Giant', 'Nothing At All' and 'Why Not?' from the debut album Giant, 'Pantagruel's Nativity' and 'The House, The Street, The Room' from Acquiring the Taste, ' Schooldays ',' Peel The Paint ',' Mr. Class And Quality ' and 'Three Friends' from Three Friends, plus non-album track 'Freedom's Child'.
The Blu-Ray/CD comes in a digipack, 2LP in gatefold sleeve.

Yay, this is very welcome news! I applaud their decision to release all the tracks that were available in this fashion. Of course I'm sad that so much is missing but the tracks included represent some of their very best work.

Great way to get 3 of my favourite Gentle Giant albums in high res plus some highlights in 5.1
Hopefully it's not too expensive as money is very tight at the moment

Looks like it will be around $20-25, which is great value for the content IMHO.

Really? wow!

I hope this release makes money. I hope all of the recent releases are making money (Yes, Crimson, Tears for Fears, XTC, even Coldplay). If they make money, maybe there will be more.

Really? wow!

I hope this release makes money. I hope all of the recent releases are making money (Yes, Crimson, Tears for Fears, XTC, even Coldplay). If they make money, maybe there will be more.

Well in the case of King Crimson, Yes, XTC, and Gentle Giant, I don't think we would have the number of releases from all of these artists that have come out so far if they didn't make any money on them.
Obviously we are still waiting on "The Seeds of Love" reissue to come out, and we may not get anymore releases from Yes, but I feel fairly certain there will be more from the others mentioned (as long as tapes still exist.)

Back