Performances from the TV show Austin City Limits - on dvd.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spock

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
I have a few of these and found many of them to be discrete - some more than others. And have a few more on order.

Found a list of releases:

http://www.terranovamastering.com/clients/dvd.html

list.jpg

But there are more than these on this list, like one with Roy Orbison, mixed by E. Scheiner and one with Widespread Panic - both discrete.

Not the best picture quality - 4:3 and typical tv-quality from the time of the show. The soundtrack are dolby digital or half-rate dts, but sounds surprisingly good on most of the shows, clear, detailed and with good bass.

I like many of those performers, many I have not heard of. I think I will get most of them.

Currently watching Steve Earle, excellent performence, a discrete mix, but it is a little "sounds from everywhere", but a very nice listen.

So far I have:

Lucinda Williams
Johnny Cash
Steve Earle
Dwight Yoakam
Widespread Panic
Roy Orbison
Tony Joe White

Thanks for posting titles :banana:

Received Merle Haggard - Live From Austin TX '78 cd+dvd today.

4uQ0U9O.jpg

This is the 2008 release of the 1978 performance - there is also a 1985 perfomance in the same series, that I have ordered.

Ok 1978 4:3 picture Quality, dts half rate 5.1 soundtrack, vocals up front and the instruments from all speakers, not very discrete, but immersive. Nice fidelty.

Love to watch (and listen to) these old shows, where you actually get to see the concert. There are no extreme zooming, shaking camera and changing camera angles 10 times per second.

Thanks^^

MxTOgZA.jpg

FATS!! :banana:

Great perfomance - and a nice discrete surround mix - great :smokin

2013 cd+dvd release of the 1986 concert, dts half-rate.

Received the second dvd of Merle:

p4DhnD8.jpg
This is the 2013 cd+dvd release of the 1985 show - but the dvd has no 5.1 soundtrack (as written on the back) - only DD 2.0.

But the disappointment vanished when I put on the second dvd I got today:

ys7leh4.jpg

Waylon Jennings, this is the 2006 release of the 1989 show, dvd only - dts 5.1. Great discrete surround mix and fidelty.

NAKBDiP.jpg

She plays the guitar!! Well, it does not take long before she moves towards the piano :)

This is from a more recent show than the other dvd's a have watched so far - it's from 2007. With a nice 16x9 picture. Excellent perfomance and great discrete surround mix, nice bass, dts 5.1.

My ex is a 2008 dvd only release.

Their last studio album didn't get the 5.1 treatment like all the other Warners, but some tunes are on this performance from 2008 .

R.E.M. DVD DTS

20170807_103437.jpg20170807_103429.jpg

Dave Alvin, Live From Austin, this is a single DVD (released in 2007) from a show in 1999:

EHqmcbd.jpg

Never heard about this artist before, but it was a very pleasant surprise, he is great, excellent performance and great country rock songs.

And with a great discrete surround mix and fidelty. I love this - discovering great artists and music :banana:

Dave Alvin and his brother Phil masterminded the Blasters back in the 80s, if that helps.

Had a listen to this today:

tgRBQv0.jpg

Ghostland Observatory, the show from 2007 on a dvd only release from the same year.

Never heard of these two guys, was surprised by the electronic scream punk rock :yikes almost turned it off at first.. but gave them a chance, glad i did - excellent performance and songs. Something different and really great.

Great surround mix and fidelty. The picture is 16x9 pressed into 3:4.

LGLZyh6.jpg

Eliza Gilkyson, 2007 DVD from a show in 2001. Excellent performance, folk/rock/country.

Great surround mix.

Trivia: her dad wrote "The Bear Necessities" from the movie "The Jungle Book" very cool :smokin

Back