Stone Temple Pilots - Core 25th Anniversary Super Deluxe

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would've snapped this boxset up in a millisecond if it included a BD~A/V 5.1. As I already have the MLP DVD~A 5.1 of CORE, I have NO clue why Rhino put the 5.1 remaster [which IS DOLBY DIGITAL 5.1] and the videos on a DVD.:(

I would've snapped this boxset up in a millisecond if it included a BD~A/V 5.1. As I already have the MLP DVD~A 5.1 of CORE, I have NO clue why Rhino put the 5.1 remaster [which IS DOLBY DIGITAL 5.1] and the videos on a DVD.:(
I know , I have it also, but for some reason the collector side of me is overpowering the audiophile side of me. Highly recommend the 5 disc CD King Of Boogie, John Lee Hooker.

now that I think about it, don't most (if not all) previous DVD-A releases have an mlp layer and a DVD-V layer with usually DD? I'm pretty sure when I burn a DVD-A most are more than 4.2 GB and require a dual layer blank disc.

I think the Core DVD-A was like this so it looks like they literally just stripped off the mlp layer and used the same DD 5.1 mix and mastering of the DVD-V layer from the DVD-A disc and just re-wrote the menu to fit the other stuff they included.

Talk about cutting corners.

now that I think about it, don't most (if not all) previous DVD-A releases have an mlp layer and a DVD-V layer with usually DD? I'm pretty sure when I burn a DVD-A most are more than 4.2 GB and require a dual layer blank disc.

I think the Core DVD-A was like this so it looks like they literally just stripped off the mlp layer and used the same DD 5.1 mix and mastering of the DVD-V layer from the DVD-A disc and just re-wrote the menu to fit the other stuff they included.

Talk about cutting corners.

The MLP 5.1 of CORE wasn't exactly demo material to begin with. The surrounds were discrete but hardly on par with Warner's other MLP 5.1 remasters [think Fleetwood Mac/Foreigner/The Doobies, etc.].

To further strip it down to DD 5.1 was a silly move on Rhino's part.

And yes, a lot of the Warner/Rhino MLP 5.1 discs also included DTS and/or DD 5.1 in addition to a hi res Stereo layer....and some included videos and docs, as well.

The inclusion of a BD~A/V in this set would've been stellar but as usual, RHINO is all over the map with these boxset reissues [the Fleetwood Mac reissued 5.1s are DTS/the Best of the Doors BD~A 4.0/and now CORE DD 5.1]. REALLY DOESN'T MAKE SENSE.

Whatever happened to the word CONSISTENCY?
:yikes

As the very recent Pineapple Thief's Where We Stood amply demonstrated.....the immense real estate of a SINGLE BD~A/V can literally hold hours of material in both HI RES Audio & Video...and this SUPERB disc from a rather smallish company was under $15!

Well just listening to the DVD-A now , such great music, no doubt, at 74db its great. I would assume that if they released in Blu Ray it would help in sonic quality even if they used the same source as the DVD-A ?

I just don't don't understand why they stripped off the mlp layer in the first place?

If you're going to release the same mix that's on the DVD-A why not just release the exact same DVD-A disc.

Even if you don't have a dvd-A player, won't all regular dvd players still play this disc and just play the DVD-V DD 5.1 layer?

If so, what's the point of stripping off the mlp layer? Makes no sense.

Maybe size constraints because of the videos they added but then, like said why not just go blu-ray to fit all the media you want?

Well just listening to the DVD-A now , such great music, no doubt, at 74db its great. I would assume that if they released in Blu Ray it would help in sonic quality even if they used the same source as the DVD-A ?

It's undeniably a great album, Mark and I think with 2017 mastering, a BD~A with a hi res stereo remaster would've sounded SUPERB.....and they could've also put the videos on the BD~A/V, as well in higher resolution than a DVD.

At 39 bucks, a great deal but it could've been a MORE inclusive boxset with a higher res 5.1 remaster.....that's all I'm saying [but as the ole saying goes: you can't cry over spilt milk].

I just wish RHINO and all the other majors releasing elaborate boxsets would UP THE ANTE by consistently including the highest res remasters possible because doubtful they will ever be released again [except as pricey 5.1 downloads].

When I get this box set and the DVD sounds the same, oh well, but if the new DVD doesn’t even show pictures and lyrics I’ll shoot myself in the ass so I can’t sit down and listen to it.

When I get this box set and the DVD sounds the same, oh well, but if the new DVD doesn’t even show pictures and lyrics I’ll shoot myself in the ass so I can’t sit down and listen to it.

Well you can always have your ole stand~by Tawney K read you the lyrics from the elaborate book which comes with the boxset :yikes

Well you can always have your ole stand~by Tawney K read you the lyrics from the elaborate book which comes with the boxset :yikes
In a heartbeat TK could do anything to me. I would dance through her Wicked Garden anytime. Did I ever tell you I saw STP at The Greek in Berkeley playing second to The Butt Hole Surfers, maybe around 91? They where super good, there where two bands in front of them but I don’t remember who they where.

In a heartbeat TK could do anything to me. I would dance through her Wicked Garden anytime. Did I ever tell you I saw STP at The Greek in Berkeley playing second to The Butt Hole Surfers, maybe around 91? They where super good, there where two bands in front of them but I don’t remember who they where.

Is it LIVE or DOLBY DIGITAL? :ugham:

In the end, I'm sure you'll love the STP boxset......especially at the bargain basement price of 39 smackaroos.

As far as your getting a turntable......I have a $5K TT with a separate power supply and a very expensive cartridge/tonearm sitting in mothballs. :yikes IMO, they're WAAAAYYYYY too finicky!

Kooo - Snood had a 25 dollar return credit and got it for 16.21 delivered tomorrow with free one day delivery :banana:

Was wondering why all the chatter in this thread all day and finally scrolled up :yikes 39 bux minus my 25 plus hell yeah :cool:

Yeah they tax in Florida grrrrrrrr:howl

STP Core, Deluxe arrived. Not a box set but like a book set with size of LP's very good and clean content, lots of extra audio looking forward to. MTV etc. I'll check out and hope that the DVD is different, maybe the right word, than the same of my already owned DVD-A. Wait and see.
61Gefl8gkxL.jpg91yEo8vg5XL._SX522_.jpg

STP Core, Deluxe arrived. Not a box set but like a book set with size of LP's very good and clean content, lots of extra audio looking forward to. MTV etc. I'll check out and hope that the DVD is different, maybe the right word, than the same of my already owned DVD-A. Wait and see.

if the dvd-a had a DD 5.1 48khz layer (which I think it did) then this dvd is the exact (bit for bit) mix and they just rewrote the menu to accommodate the new videos.

I'm pretty sure this is why GOS's comparison between the dvd-a and the dvd was seemingly identical

Also, is the front cover "lenticular" like or at least "foil" like (as opposed to a matte finish), like it seems in some pictures?

Snood got mine yesterday.....must say the cover is pretty good looking with the foil shiney:)

Snood got mine yesterday.....must say the cover is pretty good looking with the foil shiney:)

koo, that's why I ordered mine, just to display the cover in my "box set" shrine lol

even though i haven't played vinyl since Kiss Alive II there is still no beating the large beautiful artwork of a good vinyl album

oh, and because "where the river goes" is one of my favorite songs ever ;)

BTW, where did Mary go? lol

koo, that's why I ordered mine, just to display the cover in my "box set" shrine lol

oh, and because "where the river goes" is one of my favorite songs ever ;)

BTW, where did Mary go? lol

Mine showed up in big box inside a box set box and no dings or bent corners.......if there was .....was gonna send back for another until got a great one. LOVE ME SOME AMAZON:banana:

It’s up to $46 now on Amazon. I was going to bite at $39, even though I own the DVDA, but the price jump annoyed me enough to save my money.

Back