4 New Surround Sound SACD Albums from Dutton Vocalion (Aug 2017)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In for all four plus the previous three plus the Rózsa disc I sat out.
There goes my [FONT=&quot]£100 note, and I'm one happy camper [/FONT]:banana:

I likewise ordered all four titles. Still scratching my head......D~V has, IMO, upped the ante considerably. I did purchase the AF Stereo SACD of MusicMagic and like many on this forum lamented the fact it wasn't multichannel and now the miracle workers at D~V answered our prayers. And Alice Coltrane/Santana: Illuminations......WOW!

The Pure Prairie League two~fer is also an amazing addition. And although I'm not familiar with the Jimmy Castor Bunch....what the hell.

Thank you, Thank you D~V. I think you've somewhat struck Gold this time.

And thanks to Steelydave for his invaluable contribution to the cause and for keeping us informed.

For roughly $70US, one is receiving 5 QUAD multichannel titles which comes out to $14 each incl s/h. Even MORE amazing.:banana:

I wanted to share a few trade ads and things that I dug up during my research for the liner notes of these albums - obviously they couldn't be included in the liner notes for copyright/licensing reasons but I thought it would be cool to include them here.

Jimmy Castor Bunch 'Dimension III' ad from Record World 6/30/1973
anGQHJW.jpg

Pure Prairie League 'Two Lane Highway' ad from Rolling Stone 7/1975
B7oJwb1.jpg

Pure Prairie League 'If The Shoe Fits' ad from Billboard 1/3/1976
EaJ4w00.jpg

Carlos Santana & Alice Coltrane 'Illuminations' ad from NME 10/19/1974
XBOcaCG.jpg

Original Columbia 24"x 36" promo poster:
KkUikis.jpg

Return To Forever 'Musicmagic' ad from Billboard 3/26/77
Xud34Jt.jpg

It was the Pure Prairie League (I love Bustin' Out) & then my attention was caught by Return To Forever, a band I first heard at a party when I was about 16-17 when in the early hours a friends sister put on "Where Have I known You Before", the Santana/Coltrane is bonus, and the Jimmy Caster is my experimental "well I've liked all the Soul/Funk I've bought in Quad before"!

I don't want to sound 'pushy' but if any of the American reissue companies had tackled these titles, the price would be $30 list EACH [x5=$150] so those sitting on the fence should take notice.

Supporting D~V in their QUAD endeavor will hopefully ensure MORE titles [and two~fers] down the road.

They and SONY Japan are our last bastion of hope for QUAD SACDs. And we all know what Sony Japan is charging for their QUAD remasters [in 7" packaging]!:yikes

Last edited:
I've never heard of Jimmy Plaster Caster ;) but that ain't stopping me from buying. And, the only title I've even heard is the PPL. Obviously, I know all the artists and will be pleased as hell to get these. It makes me wonder what other goodies they have access to in the next year or two. :)

So, I'm getting 5 titles (on 4 discs) shipped for $69.54

That's about $13.90 per title, shipped from the UK. WOW!!!

CHUMP CHANGE, Gene, when you consider what the Majors are charging for their 'elaborate' boxsets which more often, than NOT, contain a LOSSY DVD~V 5.1 mix:yikes

They've cost me £46.46 inc. VAT & postage so around US$61, so you've got a great deal!:cool:

If they were imports into the UK it would cost me another 20% VAT + the rip-off £13.50 tax gathering fee the carriers charge. So I'm over the moon that a UK company is producing them :banana:

So, I'm getting 5 titles (on 4 discs) shipped for $69.54

That's about $13.90 per title, shipped from the UK. WOW!!!

I just ordered the Return to Forever title, along with a classical disk. I am encouraged that they are starting to release OTEM titles ... Other Than Elevator Music. Keep 'em coming!

I ordered all four. Thanks to everyone in this post for keeping me informed. I am looking forward to receiving them.

Great News !

There's hope for D.V. afterall .

RTF-MUSICMAGIC is a must own, I think anyways. The other 3 ....well price kinda dictates I should definitely buy them.

Now that they've stepped into the rock, pop, soul, jazz waters---there's no turning back.(y)

This is great news. What value and what rarity. BOTH PPL's on one surround disc, and the Musicmagic is a tough quad to find and in very high demand. This one will be a real gem. JCB was a single inventory release, as Dave has said, but still a worthy disc with a "hit" song, so I'm in for all 4 new releases, and an "extra" Musicmagic - for stock!

D-V!! Way to go. WTFG! :cool:

Amazing how quad will introduce you to stuff you've never heard of. Sampled all of these on Spotify, liked Pure Prairie League, didn't connect with the others. When they do their next classical slate I'll throw it in the cart.

Back