4 New Surround Sound SACD Albums from Dutton Vocalion (Aug 2017)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Boy, that was QUICK. Just received my four D~V QUAD titles TODAY. Can't wait to spin them. ALL arrived in perfection condition and were shipped via Royal Air Mail. Thank you Dutton Vocalion!

bravo! :yikes

which one will you spin first? :cool:

Right now, I'm spinning PPL in Stereo on my Marantz SA11-S3 player*. Tonight I'll play it on my main system in SURROUND. So far, so GOOD. And that low £10.99 price...probably the price of fish/chips @ a local UK pub!

*My silly Parasound P7 all analogue pre~amp is in FREEZE mode so I can't access the multichannel input/output.:yikes

Right now, I'm spinning PPL in Stereo on my Marantz SA11-S3 player*. Tonight I'll play it on my main system in SURROUND. So far, so GOOD.

*My silly P7 all analogue pre~amp is in FREEZE mode so I can't access the multichannel input/output.:yikes

melt it or belt it!
(ice that guy... cone a phrase.. etc).

Just got my order for 2 SACDs (August 2017 release). 18 days since ordered (July 28, 2017) from Dutton-Vocalion website to arrive (Charlotte, NC. USA) with no tracking (shipped via Royal Air Mail).

Jimmy Castor Bunch - Dimension III

Pure Prairie League - Two Lane Highway & If the Shoe Fits

Will listen the SACDs tonight.

I'm a happy camper!!! :banana::banana::banana:

Thank you Dutton-Vocalion

Regards,

I worked really hard researching and writing the liner notes for all four of these titles over the last six months, and I know equal care has gone in to the tape transfers, mastering, design and packaging of all these titles.

Mr Dave, your liner notes are exemplary, like Grammy worthy.
Much appreciated, thank you sir, and keep up the good work.
:worthy

These albums are first time listen for me.

Impressions?

Jimmy Castor Bunch - Dimension III - Great Quad SACD!!! (I like the instrumentals, the rest of the tracks are Ok)

Pure Prairie League - Two Lane Highway & If the Shoe Fits - Awesome Quad SACD!!! (I like almost all tracks)

Highly recommended!!!!!

Regards,

Snoooood got me 4 discs today all the way to Florida :banana::banana::banana:

Snoooood got me 4 discs today all the way to Florida :banana::banana::banana:

Got the Pure Prairie League today, too -- now that it is a confirmed delivery service without expensive tracking, will look at their other offerings.

I feel an OCD acquire coming on :howl

But right now, let's dance, Snood.

:banana::banana::banana: :cool: :banana::banana::banana:

(Btw, the packaging was impeccable -- slim and to the point. Hard to explain. . . )

Mr Dave, your liner notes are exemplary, like Grammy worthy.
Much appreciated, thank you sir, and keep up the good work.
:worthy

I just wanted to say thank you for this compliment, along with the other ones I've read on here in the last day or so - it really made my day!

It's been really fun seeing the responses to these discs so far. I've known about some of them for quite a while - in the case of Pure Prairie League I started writing the liner notes back in December of last year, just a month after the the last batch with the Main Ingredient and Tower of Power discs came out. I don't say that in a sort of smug 'i knew something you didn't' way, but rather that I've been looking forward to these discs for a long time, and sharing that enthusiasm with the people who post here is a big part of it. I think like everyone here, I'm a big fan of quad, and it's really gratifying to play even a small part in getting some of these mixes 'out there' in digital form - I feel like it's a little victory, each one being freed from a "jail" of only being available on Q8 and LP.

I know that liner notes are far from the main attraction in these discs (do they sound and look amazing or what?) but I know for me as a musician and music fan, the art and artist are inseparable. I love reading about the history and circumstances surrounding bands and albums, there's something fascinating to me about fully understanding the context that the music I'm listening to was created in. Hopefully the stuff I wrote shares that enthusiasm, and is somewhat interesting and engaging as well.

It's funny actually, because I think the two lesser known titles in this release (Jimmy Castor and Pure Prairie League) are actually the most interesting stories - Castor had a colourful career to say the least, and PPL should have been dead in the water after Craig Fuller left, but they refused to quit. For all of these liner notes I tried to find primary source information like newspaper and magazine articles from the time, rather than just plagiarizing or regurgitating stuff from wikipedia or elsewhere on the web - it was fun putting the stories of these bands together one piece at a time, and I really hope it's added a little something to the music for anyone who's read them. I feel like that kid who's done a class project on Greenland and can now tell you how many fjords there are and what the average rainfall is in spring, except that I'm full of useless facts about record sales in 1973 and who the A&R guy for RCA was. ;)

OK... after receiving my latest batch of DV discs, I had to go back and round out my collection... here's what I've got so far (some are still on the way):

Swingle Singers
Hugo Montenegro (Godfather)
Pure Prairie League
Musicmagic
Illuminations
Ray Davies (Excorcist etc)
Jimmy Castor Bunch
Henry Mancini 6 Hours Past sunset
Michel Legrand Twenty songs Of The Century

Are there any surround stunners I'm missing? (classical, too... as long as it has a true surround mix and not ambience)

OK... after receiving my latest batch of DV discs, I had to go back and round out my collection... here's what I've got so far (some are still on the way):

Swingle Singers
Pure Prairie League
Musicmagic
Illuminations
Jimmy Castor Bunch

Are there any surround stunners I'm missing? (classical, too... as long as it has a true surround mix and not ambience)

Main Ingredient Euphrates River is wonderful.

I like the later-era Hugo Montenegro albums more than the Godfather one, not sure if you have them:

Scenes & Themes (1972) / Others By Brothers (1975)
Hugo In Wonder-land (1974) / Neil's Diamonds (1973)

The '74/'75 stuff for me is particularly good, RCA had really figured out how to do a great quad mix by that point, and some of the backing musicians are fantastic too, including Crusaders/Steely Dan guitarist Larry Carlton, legendary Motown bassist James Jamerson, and Wrecking Crew drummer Hal Blaine.

Swingle Singers
Pure Prairie League
Musicmagic
Illuminations
Jimmy Castor Bunch

Hugo M does Stevie Wonder and Tower Of Power are two others i would recommend to you Sean.
Tower Of Power is something of a potentially polarising acquired taste content and surround mixwise maybe (i love it and over the moon Dutton Vocalion have released it) and Hugo Wonderland is amazing surround sound and great arrangements imho.

Swingle Singers
Pure Prairie League
Musicmagic
Illuminations
Jimmy Castor Bunch

Pinchas Zukerman doing the Vivaldi Four Seasons and four other concertos is my favorite soundwise of the bunch. It's not the most important musically, but the music is great (you've heard The Four Seasons even if you don't know it) and the mix is pretty active. But then, I think all five of the initial classical releases are pretty great.

Tower Of Power is something of a potentially polarising acquired taste content and surround mixwise maybe (i love it and over the moon Dutton Vocalion have released it)...
It is a bit odd to stuff all the drums (or nearly) in one channel, but it works surprisingly well! I really enjoyed listening to the quad mix and I like ToP and the tunes enough to enjoy the stereo mix (even though Michael Dutton cut the first few seconds off erroneously on both). Were you over the moon while they went there? [emoji6]

I have 7 SACDs arriving any minute and am excited about it of course.

But is there another announcement forthcoming about 4 more quad titles? Or did I dream this?

Not trying to be pushy, but my mind is saying that there are more titles to be anounced, and I thought I read it here?

Back