3 matrix quad albums this Sunday

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Brent

300 Club - QQ All-Star
This week on the Vinyl Resting Place we play 3 classic albums, in their entirety - the catch? - we play the quadraphonic versions of these albums.
we'll be tossing in a few finds and treasures as well, so join us Sunday morning at 9am - or for a repeat at 10pm (that's NY time y'all) on RadioMaxMusic.com, or on the TuneIn app - note - this can be enjoyed, even if you only have 2 ears....
vrp-graphic.jpg

caught napping here, have tune-in on my receiver so what do i look for as a station to listen the 9am broadcast, which i think is about 2pm in uk,

it must be a compressed stream, what do you use and at what bitrate? also do you use j-stereo, which kills any kind of matrix

did a manual search and found it, mp3 @ 128kbps, just wondering if j-stereo is used as it saves bandwidth usage for the broadcaster but does nothing for matrix albums

did a manual search and found it, mp3 @ 128kbps, just wondering if j-stereo is used as it saves bandwidth usage for the broadcaster but does nothing for matrix albums

sorry - I do the show 16/44 wav - but have no control after I send it in :-(
I don't know if its worth a "critical" listening - but the surround information
does survive. and its what little I can do to keep the format in the public
eye (well....ear) - an average of 18k tune in each week -

all the best
Bill

Thanks - in the US Deep Purple was CD-4, and it seems it was QS in Japan -
this is a German pressing in SQ

Since in Japan it was on WB, unlikely QS unless a test-market disc.
SQ in UK Germany Australia.

sorry - I do the show 16/44 wav - but have no control after I send it in :-(
I don't know if its worth a "critical" listening - but the surround information
does survive. and its what little I can do to keep the format in the public
eye (well....ear) - an average of 18k tune in each week -

all the best
Bill

that's great audience figures! if you keep plugging away with the Quad thing we're bound to reap the benefits with better awareness hopefully translating into sales and maybe knock on effect of more surround music releases down the line! thanks for doing all this :)

Since in Japan it was on WB, unlikely QS unless a test-market disc.
SQ in UK Germany Australia.

Warner Pioneer Japan had some QS encoded discs FWIW. One noteworthy title was Beaver and Krause-Gandharva.
They started with promoting SQ and QS titles before venturing into CD-4.
But whether or not they matrixed DEEP PURPLE-MACHINE HEAD is unknown . Not certain whether Purple records came under TOSHIBA/EMI though, but if so then it's likely an RM encode would have been the case.

Warner Pioneer Japan had some QS encoded discs FWIW. One noteworthy title was Beaver and Krause-Gandharva.
They started with promoting SQ and QS titles before venturing into CD-4.

Exactly. That's why i said test market release.

But whether or not they matrixed DEEP PURPLE-MACHINE HEAD is unknown . Not certain whether Purple records came under TOSHIBA/EMI though, but if so then it's likely an RM encode would have been the case.

DP in Japan were first on Polydor (the Mark I part), then from 1970 onward WB. No Toshiba-EMI involved anytime.

Exactly. That's why i said test market release.

I'm not certain what you mean by "test market " ?

DP in Japan were first on Polydor (the Mark I part), then from 1970 onward WB. No Toshiba-EMI involved anytime.

Same here in Canada as likely Stateside .

Unknown whether they issued a CD-4 in Japan but it's possible. Perhaps someone can put up a list of Warner/Pioneer CD-4 discs ? I know I'd be curious to see all the issues on Discrete.

"No Toshiba-EMI involved anytime." Well almost . It would seem that 2 vinyl discs were issued in 1970 for "Concert for Group and Orchestra " on Toshiba (one red vinyl one black-rare copies) .
Then in June 70 Warner issues in Japan. Four issued on Warner for that title and Warner ever after for all DEEP PURPLE.

Thanks for the clarification, btw. (y) I was almost convinced Toshiba-EMI had Purple 's agreement much like the
European deal.

Back