[superdeluxeedition.com] 5.1 chatter on SDE

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

privateuniverse

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
I'm sure many of you visit superdeluxeedition.com on a regular basis (as do I.) When reading the comments on the site, I have noticed that not too many of the readers over there seem too interested in surround. However, today they had an article about a 2LP picture disc reissue of ELO's Out of the Blue. I was pleasantly surprised to see how many people sounded off in the comments section about how a 5.1 mix of that classic album is long overdue. (I, of course, added my $0.02 and put in a plug for SW to do the remix!) Nice to see surround being advocated on a site like that!

I'm sure many of you visit superdeluxeedition.com on a regular basis (as do I.) When reading the comments on the site, I have noticed that not too many of the readers over there seem too interested in surround. However, today they had an article about a 2LP picture disc reissue of ELO's Out of the Blue. I was pleasantly surprised to see how many people sounded off in the comments section about how a 5.1 mix of that classic album is long overdue. (I, of course, added my $0.02 and put in a plug for SW to do the remix!) Nice to see surround being advocated on a site like that!

Paul Sinclair has always been a huge advocate for (high-res) surround sound. Not only does he constantly promote such releases on his website, but also he was a pivotal part of one of my favorite reissues of the last few years, writing the sleeve notes for the "Songs from the Big Chair" box set (not to mention he's also worked on the still unreleased reissue for "The Seeds of Love".)
We're lucky to have someone like him on 'our side'!

:)

I get mixed feelings about this. Yes, I'd like a 5.1 of OOTB, but I don't want SW to mix it. I don't get the hero worship, well I kind of do in that he is actively mixing in 5.1 and that excites people, but I found the 5.1 of Big Chair something I don't enjoy, and Apples and Oranges was okay. It seems to be one Steve or another that people seem to think can only do a good job, and the fanatacism gets me down.

I get mixed feelings about this. Yes, I'd like a 5.1 of OOTB, but I don't want SW to mix it. I don't get the hero worship, well I kind of do in that he is actively mixing in 5.1 and that excites people, but I found the 5.1 of Big Chair something I don't enjoy, and Apples and Oranges was okay. It seems to be one Steve or another that people seem to think can only do a good job, and the fanatacism gets me down.
There are other good and active surround mixers out there. Bruce Soord, Giancarlo Erra, Rob Reed. Especially Rob is on par and sometimes ahead of SW. Rob's Kompendium mix is stellar for example.

I get mixed feelings about this. Yes, I'd like a 5.1 of OOTB, but I don't want SW to mix it. I don't get the hero worship, well I kind of do in that he is actively mixing in 5.1 and that excites people, but I found the 5.1 of Big Chair something I don't enjoy, and ORANGES and LEMONS was okay. It seems to be one Steve or another that people seem to think can only do a good job, and the fanatacism gets me down.

Steven Wilson is not the right person to remix every album in 5.1 surround, and that is something he will readily admit, which is why he passed on remixing "Trilogy" and "Brain Salad Surgery" for ELP.
However in this instance, I really cannot think of a better person to remix "Out of the Blue" in 5.1 surround than Steven Wilson. It's one of his all-time favorites, so I know he would do it justice.
The main issue I see in this instance is that Jeff Lynne does not appear to be interested at all in surround sound, especially since the latest ELO live Blu-Ray was released with just a stereo mix on it. How pathetic...

(n) :( :mad: :howl

I am chuckling and enjoying the debate here about who should do a 5.1 remix of OOTB. We would be lucky if we get these things done and issued by any competent remixing engineer. Beggars can't be choosers...and all those other cliches. :mad:@:

Well, at least for me - the reason I do love SW is because he generally puts out a quality product. Top to bottom. You don't always get that with others.....
Yeah, sometimes I think SW mixes the vocals a little hot, but beyond that...I have very few complaints. I like many others too obviously.

I think when I say "I wish SW would mix this".....I probably mean, I'd like a product that:

A - I like the music
B - Has superior fidelity
C - Has lots of extras, all bound in a neat container and a very reasonable price
D - Good to excellent mix

A,B,C and D generally = SW

Again, others do equally nice work, but we don't always get A,B,C & D :)

I would love to do a 5.1 of OoTB...That and A new World Record, was the highlight of the ELO catalogue. Being a complete fan boy of Jeff Lynne..I have to say that the stereo mixes of OFTB would be hard to beat..almost untouchable.They are sonic perfection. Jeff did a re recording of his HITS a few years ago and it was not pretty.Sampled strings,etc. And shows again that sometimes real audio magic is caught on those original mixes. BUT a 5.1 of Out Of The Blue would be amazing, as the arrangements and attention to detail is amazing. Those harmonies and strings !!...Not sure how many tracks it was recorded on.24 I would have thought. I would have thought they are still around. I just think that Jeff is not interested in the format, and the way that he re recorded those hits, so that they wouldn't feature the rest of the old band, and he would own the rights... I just think there is a lot going on behind the scenes.... which is a shame.... lets see...such a genius and amazing ELO catalogue.

Jeff did a re recording of his HITS a few years ago and it was not pretty.Sampled strings,etc. And shows again that sometimes real audio magic is caught on those original mixes.

Rob, you're right about that re-recorded collection from five years ago. I cringed every time I heard those sampled strings.

Back