Their Satanic Majesties Request, 50th Anniversary Special Edition (Stereo SACD)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which_One_Is_Pink

900 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
Well it looks like the Stones will continue to fall back in the wake of the Beatles: The Rolling Stones will release Their Satanic Majesties Request, 50th Anniversary Special Edition Mono/Stereo vinyl and Hybrid SACDs • No bonus audio (no surround) sad...this could have been the start of a another beautiful friendship in surround.

rollingstones_satantic2 (1).jpg

I spent a lot of my working life in the Southeastern USA, and I was fortunate to pick up a lot of Hi-Rez stereo and multichannel disks that I would not have been able to find here in Canada. When the ABKCO Rolling Stones SACDs came out, I got quite an amusing reaction from the 'associates' at the big box stores when I asked for this title. Who knew that "Satanic Majesties" would freak so many people out?
A few of them just walked away from me ... briskly. It was so much fun that I went on asking for it even after I found a copy. :yikes

I spent a lot of my working life in the Southeastern USA, and I was fortunate to pick up a lot of Hi-Rez stereo and multichannel disks that I would not have been able to find here in Canada. When the ABKCO Rolling Stones SACDs came out, I got quite an amusing reaction from the 'associates' at the big box stores when I asked for this title. Who knew that "Satanic Majesties" would freak so many people out?
A few of them just walked away from me ... briskly. It was so much fun that I went on asking for it even after I found a copy. :yikes

hahaha! Yeah, well - I suppose the name does sort of conger up all kinds of thoughts in the minds of those....well...you know. :smokin

Well, I love that title....in fact, so MUCH so, I purchased the SHM~SACD single layered edition.

It really sounds fantastic! But, IMO, it would've been rife for the SURROUND treatment? Anyone know how many tracks it was originally recorded on?

Well, I love that title....in fact, so MUCH so, I purchased the SHM~SACD single layered edition.

It really sounds fantastic! But, IMO, it would've been rife for the SURROUND treatment? Anyone know how many tracks it was originally recorded on?

Have you tried it decoded with the QS synth mode? It sounds pretty cool through my QSD-2.
My guess (based solely on the time period) is that it is an eight track recording ... but just a guess.

Have you tried it decoded with the QS synth mode? It sounds pretty cool through my QSD-2.
My guess (based solely on the time period) is that it is an eight track recording ... but just a guess.

No, but I will try it through my Meridian SUPER DSP mode. You're probably right....it's a pretty phasey recording and should decode well.

Thanks for the tip.

BTW, the original title for this album was COSMIC CHRISTMAS according to Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Their_Satanic_Majesties_Request

Nah, no interest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I made the mistake of looking this deluxe release up and it does look pretty sweet. Except it's $89 and seems awfully redundant. I mean, if I could just get the SACD's, I might jump...but it comes with 2 vinyl, Ugh....

I made the mistake of looking this deluxe release up and it does look pretty sweet. Except it's $89 and seems awfully redundant. I mean, if I could just get the SACD's, I might jump...but it comes with 2 vinyl, 2 CD all duplicates I think. Ugh....

BTW, except for three songs, Keith Richards called this album TRASH. Of course, IMO, it's good trash....hey, IT'S THE STONES!

Buy the SHM~SACD if you can find it cheap. No need to buy the boxset, IMO, Gene.

Unfortunately, NO longer available at CDJapan: http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/UIGY-9575

I have had all versions of this, my favorite Stones album, including the SHM SACD. I just pre ordered this new edition, non surround unfortunately. SHM CD version from CDJapan shipped to Calif, $93.00.

Major DISAPPOINTMENT: no 5.1 Surround? C'mon, this is 2017
I have the SACD, & the others; but 5.1 would have made a HUGE difference; especially, this album
:(:(:(:(:((n)(n)(n)(n)(n)

No thread crap intended but I'm really don't get the love for this album, especially an expensive SE.

No thread crap intended but I'm really don't get the love for this album, especially an expensive SE.

Agreed. I'm not a fan either. I have the original SACD stereo hybrid from when they were all released with the "certificate of authenticity". I got them for a very good price when a local record store went out of business. Played it once to be sure there were no defects. That playing reminded me of why I never owned any previous versions of it in any format. Even in surround, I would pass on this release.

It certainly isn't a typical Rolling Stones album. It was likely a response to the Beatles getting all psychedelic and druggie, combined with competition from the San Francisco bands of the time. There was also a lot of upheaval in the band at the time, so there probably wasn't much of a plan for this release.

less than zero interest in having to buy the same album 4 times in one box (I don't want the vinyl so No I will not be buying, shame as I would have liked to hear the mono disc but like the doors include vinyl loose sales

Looking very forward for my copy to arrive today or Monday. I feel the same as others with major disappointment without a release in surround. However, as we all have our special moments in time, I would play this record over and over in 1968/69 because I wanted to smoke weed and be with my friends but my parents wouldn't let me out past 9:30. This release with updated packaging and a hybrid SACD mono is going to be great.
I have the SHM SACD stereo, the mono box set in SHM CD and the mono box set in download in 24/192. My added feelings of my youth, the hard disc in mono and the packaging with liner notes makes this a no brainer for me. I'll report back with what I am sure will be a stellar listen.

Well I put this on pre-order when it came available but hoped it would drop in price, it did no so without surround I decided to cancel, if the SACD in stereo is ever released standalone (doubtful) I will get it but at this price level I won't bite. Besides I have plenty of other pre-orders coming (y)

Coming soon to a listening room near me:

The Pineapple Thief - Where We Stood : Burning Shed
Bruford - Seems Like A Lifetime Ago 1977-1980 : Burning Shed
Gentle Giant - Three Piece Suite : Burning Shed
David Gilmour - Live At Pompeii : amazon.com
The Alan Parsons Project - Eye in the Sky (35th Anniversary Boxset Edition) : amazon.com

Yeah, I'm good (y)

Back