European Genesis titles for $14.99

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

key_wiz

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
A few different sellers are selling some Genesis titles for $14.99 or thereabouts. They are digipacks. The video is PAL. They aren't listed with much detail.

Not knowing if I'd get ripped off or what I took a chance on copies of "Tresspass" and "Nursery Cryme". (Two I don't yet own). As near as I can tell, everything seems fine. They shipped fast from a seller in NY. They don't appear to be boots. They sound fine.

My player also plays PAL so that isn't an issue for me.

Only a few different titles seem to be available for whatever reason.

Not sure if there is more to the story here I don't know about, but I'm not complaining.

A few different sellers are selling some Genesis titles for $14.99 or thereabouts. They are digipacks. The video is PAL. They aren't listed with much detail.

Not knowing if I'd get ripped off or what I took a chance on copies of "Tresspass" and "Nursery Cryme". (Two I don't yet own). As near as I can tell, everything seems fine. They shipped fast from a seller in NY. They don't appear to be boots. They sound fine.

Not sure if there is more to the story here I don't know about, but I'm not complaining.

I'm assuming these are two disc sets. Is the other disc a CD or SACD?

What titles and what sellers? I may want to pick up a couple

I purchased mine through lizzzmusic. There are others.

The titles I've seen listed are Trespass, Nursery Cryme, Genesis, Invisible Touch, We Can't Dance and Calling All Stations. I presume these must be some overstock titles from somewhere? Most of the other sellers all seem to be European. Estonia and such places.

ahhh..those pesky Russian "unofficial"(=BOOTLEG) discs...the artis doesn't get eny money, usually inferiior quality discs and probably a few typos on the booklet...if you are desperate, you might chance these, but, try to get a real one better...

ahhh..those pesky Russian "unofficial"(=BOOTLEG) discs...

Technically:
Bootleg = Material released by other than the artist that has not been otherwise released or authorized.
Pirate = Official materiel that is duplicated and released by other than the artist. (as in the usage above)
Counterfeit = Material that purports to be an artist but is actually not that artist.

Some artists like Zappa and Aerosmith have released albums called bootlegs, mostly in response to bootlegging or as a reference to bootlegging often being of live material. In fact Zappa re-released unauthorized bootlegs under his own label without any attempt to clean up the tapes - I am sure he had far better recordings of the same performances - because he felt that if people wanted to buy inferior product they should be able to do so, but he should get the money for his own music.

ahhh..those pesky Russian "unofficial"(=BOOTLEG) discs...the artis doesn't get eny money, usually inferiior quality discs and probably a few typos on the booklet...if you are desperate, you might chance these, but, try to get a real one better...

"Desperate"? No. Not inclined to pay the going prices for used copies? Much more likely.

BTW, the artist gets nothing for sales of used product either

That looks like that is probably what it is. If someone wants to delete this thread for promoting pirate discs, maybe they should?

I will suggest to keep the thread and add some pictures - better if a match between original release and counterfeit release, noticing the differencies - so ten years from now others QQ'ers would know what to get and what to avoid.

I will suggest to keep the thread and add some pictures - better if a match between original release and counterfeit release, noticing the differencies - so ten years from now others QQ'ers would know what to get and what to avoid.

ten years from now? ;)

Can't compare them to the original although they don't seem to have many of the usual tell-tale signs of counterfeits such as misspelled words and smeared images. On both sets the Charisma label is a darker shade of pink on the CD than on the DVD. And the fine-print on "Trespass" discs and the back cover for both sets have information that doesn't seem to match up to those particular albums.

But it sounds like the most obvious sign is that the audio disc is a CD rather than SACD which the proper European sets didn't have?

ten years from now? ;)

Can't compare them to the original although they don't seem to have many of the usual tell-tale signs of counterfeits such as misspelled words and smeared images. On both sets the Charisma label is a darker shade of pink on the CD than on the DVD. And the fine-print on "Trespass" discs and the back cover for both sets have information that doesn't seem to match up to those particular albums.

But it sounds like the most obvious sign is that the audio disc is a CD rather than SACD which the proper European sets didn't have?

according to the discogs link I posted, the Matrix / Runout (CD): V09652552528/5195482 21

If your disc has this then it can confirm it's a Russian "pirate"

according to the discogs link I posted, the Matrix / Runout (CD): V09652552528/5195482 21

If your disc has this then it can confirm it's a Russian "pirate"

That'd be the one! :mad:@:

Well, then I guess I served to 'warn' some others? But I can't make myself feel too bad about it. If WEA, or whoever it is that owns the rights to these albums these days, wanted to press up some new copies and offer them for sale at a reasonable price, I'd have gladly bought those instead. But since they can't find themselves fit to do so....

That'd be the one! :mad:@:

Well, then I guess I served to 'warn' some others? But I can't make myself feel too bad about it. If WEA, or whoever it is that owns the rights to these albums these days, wanted to press up some new copies and offer them for sale at a reasonable price, I'd have gladly bought those instead. But since they can't find themselves fit to do so....

I'm not sure that justifies the potential of funding organised crime.

Back