Millennials Unearth an Amazing Hack to Get Free TV: The Antenna

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is pretty funny, although I have to admit that although I do have a 5.1 hi def system years ago my wife forgot to pay the cable bill so we installed an amplified antenna in the attic and ever since pick up around 25 channels. :D

I saw that piece the other day in the Wall Street Journal print edition, it was on the front page at the bottom where they put a fun or exotic story. For some reason it's called an A-hed. They're usually quite good.

“An antenna was not even on my radar,”

Oh, the irony.

People have no idea what they are talking about, just a small step up from the Primordial slime 3.8 billion years ago

A generation that I say about 90 % are dumbed down. Like they know nothing of history, and refuse to accept any form of common sense, it must be their way ! Being a landlord I have had my "experience" with the under 30 generation and, it's like this : :yikes: and confused: !!!! And the scary part? This group coming of age, and getting jobs in positions of authority, like cops etc!:yikes
Not all bad I have one tenant who is a good kid. He is a total confused mess on lots of common sense issue's but I have learned it is a lack of education from the schools. It is no small wonder we have the insanity we do now.
And the best part is not a one knows WTF they are doing!!
I hope I have not offended anyone not my point.

There was some commercial on TV the other day screeching about a miracle adapter that lets you get FREE TV. All you have to do is hook it up to your TV and you never pay a monthly fee. My parents called it an antenna. It's spreading.

Next thing you know they'll stumble upon something called a library - where you can read stuff for FREE.

I work with a bunch of younger kids and their ignorance to things that happened prior to their birth is staggering. They tell me I don't understand.
But it blows up in their faces when I tell them THEY don't understand. When I was growing up, the internet didn't exist. I did not hold in my pocket a device that could receive the wealth of human knowledge.

I'm knowledgeable of, and "in" to many things that came and went before my own birth:

- Muscle Cars
- 8-track tapes & LP's
- Quadraphonic Sound
- Capacitance Electronic Discs (well, ok, that happened within my lifetime but they were discontinued when I was 6!)
- Movies & TV shows from the 50's, 60's and 70's (It was called "The Golden Age of Television" for a reason!)
- Music from the 40's, 50's, 60's & 70's. And to be honest, I despise the music from my youth. (Nirvarna? Britney Spears?.... (n) )

And I didn't have the internet! How did I learn about this stuff?

I read books, I talked to the older generation, I went to the library, I went to record stores and junk shops and record swap meets. I showed a genuine interest and a thirst for the knowledge pertaining to these things. You know, curiosity!

There are a few good eggs out there among the millennial crowd, but they are definitely few and far between.

A funny aside: About 10 years ago when I was in the I.T. field, I had a fairly well-off client call me one morning and say he was having an issue with his iPod not syncing to his PC and other minor issues. (Hilarious backstory is this was the first time I'd even seen an iPod, let alone used one) So, I did a housecall, fixed the few issues with his PC, got his home network up again and reset his iPod so it would sync. Interesting was that his choice of music on his iPod was all stuff I'm into: Steppenwolf, CCR, Eagles, Grass Roots, Raiders, etc.

So, he came home just as I was leaving and we chatted for a bit and he asked about his iPod. "Yep, I got it working." The he asks "Bunch of weird, old-folks music on there, huh?" and I replied: "Oh heck no. I've got most of those songs on 8-track and vinyl!" :music

A generation that I say about 90 % are dumbed down. Like they know nothing of history, and refuse to accept any form of common sense, it must be their way ! Being a landlord I have had my "experience" with the under 30 generation and, it's like this : :yikes: and confused: !!!! And the scary part? This group coming of age, and getting jobs in positions of authority, like cops etc!:yikes
Not all bad I have one tenant who is a good kid. He is a total confused mess on lots of common sense issue's but I have learned it is a lack of education from the schools. It is no small wonder we have the insanity we do now.
And the best part is not a one knows WTF they are doing!!
I hope I have not offended anyone not my point.

It's what I'm been saying all along:

This upcoming generation has elevated dysfunctionality to an art form!:yikes

Last edited:
A friend of mine was pleading exhaustion this afternoon from lack of sleep, and figured he wouldn't be worth anything when he got home. I told him the good news is that breathing is automatic, and someone decided that made sense, since if we had to think about breathing we'd all have been dead long ago...:D And as Carl Sagan once pointed out, if food didn't automatically digest in a healthy person, we'd starve to death in short order.

This does not mean, unfortunately, that common sense is common, or that everyone has a thirst for knowledge about basic things like televisions and antennas. In a society ever increasingly just dumping something rather than fix it, that someone might not know something you or I think as 'basic info' seems as predictable as a woman I once met who swore she had never heard of STAR WARS. I asked her if she'd live with an ascetic, isolated cult or religion or somehow otherwise isolated, and she simply replied "No...I just never heard of it, that's all." And her boyfriend (a buddy of mine) was a huge SW fan, so why he didn't clue her in also remains, happily, a mystery....

ED :)

Back