3 New SACDs from Dutton Vocalion (October 2017)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Am i wrong or this is a first hi-rez release for Deodato stuff (not counting download from HD tracks... only as physical media)?

This will be the very first time that any CTI albums are available in high res MULTICHANNEL physical disc formats.

I, for one, Can't wait.

And the very fact that Michael Dutton has released this as a two~fer for such a pittance is a genuine cause for celebration!:cool:

Fantastic news! Both of these albums are great. I will order as soon as they put the listing back up.

This song is my favorite:
[video=youtube;AUe4SJlMO6c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUe4SJlMO6c[/video]

Awesome...I've got both SQs.

And it's nice to know the CTI quad masters are available. If only the GRT/ABC stuff could get the same treatment...

I've been sad that, in sampling the music from their previous Quad SACDs, there hasn't really been anything for me, as I usually only like hard rock and classical, but wow, this Deodato cover of Also sprach Zarathustra (which I must have heard at least part of in Being There) is awesome. Previously, the only disc I bought was the Watership Down SACD, which, of course, had to be stereo only.

Finally, a non-classical D-V SACD for me. :) I hope they have at least one other title to reveal for the month, though...maybe I'll be able to buy two Quad SACDs?

I've been sad that, in sampling the music from their previous Quad SACDs, there hasn't really been anything for me, as I usually only like hard rock and classical, but wow, this Deodato cover of Also sprach Zarathustra (which I must have heard at least part of in Being There) is awesome. Previously, the only disc I bought was the Watership Down SACD, which, of course, had to be stereo only.

Finally, a non-classical D-V SACD for me. :) I hope they have at least one other title to reveal for the month, though...maybe I'll be able to buy two Quad SACDs?

And some Debussy ... like you've never heard him before: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19o90gTeJOQ

Could it be that Michael Dutton is our new QUAD GOD?

Oddly, I looked for Deodata on Amazon, and they show Prelude "audio CD" for $26 as a preorder for November 24 release. What the heck is that??

That is a forthcoming Japanese UHQCD of Prelude, coming from King Records:

https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B074WJVMTX/?language=en_US

Interestingly, there is one coming on the same day for Deodato 2, also:

https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B074WKNXY3/?language=en_US

But apparently, they are the only Deodato albums in a series of UHQCD reissues of older titles, and feature remasters from 2009.

This will be the very first time that any CTI albums are available in high res MULTICHANNEL physical disc formats.

I, for one, Can't wait.

And the very fact that Michael Dutton has released this as a two~fer for such a pittance is a genuine cause for celebration!:cool:

101% sure on multichannel, but as a stereo-only hirez disc... don't think it has ever been. Also i can't remember any special audiophile version, such as MFSL:

101% sure on multichannel, but as a stereo-only hirez disc... don't think it has ever been. Also i can't remember any special audiophile version, such as MFSL:

The only other CTI album released on hi res physical disc in STEREO was Jim Hall's Concierto......Japanese ONLY DVD~A Stereo and MoFi Stereo SACD. http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-50Kogw5E2...AAWAc/1qI_xHSN1LY/s320/BIS(JIm+Hall,SACD).jpg

The DVD~A* [192/24], long OOP, is stunning: http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/KIAW-4?s_ssid=e3536859c97ee86145

[*King Record Co., Ltd Japan]

Is there any reason why the Deodato DV SACD was pulled from their site? I'd order it right now without hesitation. Any word when the SACD will be released? Thanks :)!

Is there any reason why the Deodato DV SACD was pulled from their site? I'd order it right now without hesitation. Any word when the SACD will be released? Thanks :)!

Imagine it will be back up soon - prob just wanted to tease to cause a stir or it was posted early by accident :banana:

Imagine it will be back up soon - prob just wanted to tease to cause a stir or it was posted early by accident :banana:

Well, D-V said to wait for the new releases in September, we're now on 26... at least they gave a hint of what's coming out in order to keep the momentum.
I need only three more hint like that in these last days of september. :mad:@:

The pre-order link that was posted earlier in this thread was just up for some internal website testing, which is why it's been removed. Pre-order links will be back up later this week. I can confirm this title is definitely happening - I did liner notes for it.

This is indeed the first time these two albums have been available in hi-res from the original master tapes - this release does include the stereo and quad mixes of both albums.

The King Records Japan 'Supreme Series' from a couple of years ago, which was available on CD and high-res PCM and DSD downloads were actually sourced from the 1st generation tape copies - presumably the ones King were sent in the 70's to do their LP releases of these albums. Although the PR hype for the King series claimed 'no EQ or compression in mastering' I believe that because these were LP cutting tapes, they had a bit of compression applied to them back when the tapes were made. The DR for the Supreme Series version of Prelude is DR12 whereas most of the US CD versions are DR14, which kind of bears this presumption out. I've actually heard the King hi-res download of Prelude and while it does sound pretty good, you can tell it's from a tape copy as it's pretty hissy in the quieter passages. I expect this new release from Vocalion will be an upgrade on that in every respect.

These two albums have kind of a strange history on CD - the original versions that came out in the 80's on the 'CBS Associated' label (the ones with bonus tracks) were actually completely new remixes done from the original multitracks. Funnily enough they were done by Tim Geelan at CBS, who did some quad mixes in the 70's including Blue Oyster Cult and Weather Report. I think some of the subsequent CD releases reverted back to the original Creed Taylor/Rudy Van Gelder mixes from 1973, but I'm not really sure.

In any event I expect this new SACD to be the definitive mastering of the original stereo mixes, and obviously the quad mixes are excellent too. If you want to buy the quad reels of these two albums on eBay these days, they'll set you back about $300 each (presuming you can find them) which makes this disc at D-V's usual prices an exceptional value in my opinion.

The pre-order link that was posted earlier in this thread was just up for some internal website testing, which is why it's been removed. Pre-order links will be back up later this week. I can confirm this title is definitely happening - I did liner notes for it.

This is indeed the first time these two albums have been available in hi-res from the original master tapes - this release does include the stereo and quad mixes of both albums.

The King Records Japan 'Supreme Series' from a couple of years ago, which was available on CD and high-res PCM and DSD downloads were actually sourced from the 1st generation tape copies - presumably the ones King were sent in the 70's to do their LP releases of these albums. Although the PR hype for the King series claimed 'no EQ or compression in mastering' I believe that because these were LP cutting tapes, they had a bit of compression applied to them back when the tapes were made. The DR for the Supreme Series version of Prelude is DR12 whereas most of the US CD versions are DR14, which kind of bears this presumption out. I've actually heard the King hi-res download of Prelude and while it does sound pretty good, you can tell it's from a tape copy as it's pretty hissy in the quieter passages. I expect this new release from Vocalion will be an upgrade on that in every respect.

These two albums have kind of a strange history on CD - the original versions that came out in the 80's on the 'CBS Associated' label (the ones with bonus tracks) were actually completely new remixes done from the original multitracks. Funnily enough they were done by Tim Geelan at CBS, who did some quad mixes in the 70's including Blue Oyster Cult and Weather Report. I think some of the subsequent CD releases reverted back to the original Creed Taylor/Rudy Van Gelder mixes from 1973, but I'm not really sure.

In any event I expect this new SACD to be the definitive mastering of the original stereo mixes, and obviously the quad mixes are excellent too. If you want to buy the quad reels of these two albums on eBay these days, they'll set you back about $300 each (presuming you can find them) which makes this disc at D-V's usual prices an exceptional value in my opinion.

Dave, many thanks for that reassurance. This will be a prestige release, IMO, for many reasons. The debut of ANY CTI albums in multichannel and especially from first generation masters.

It seems Mr. Dutton and company [yourself included] are raising the ante considerably with some surprising new releases. I never thought we'd see these gems [Deodato] EVER!

Can only hope sales are robust and we can look forward to many more surprises from the gurus at D~V.

Bravo

Well, i can't ask you which are the other titles D-V is releasing, but... which other liner notes did you wrote? :D
Japanese 1989 CD release were from the 1972 master, not a remix.

Back