The Doobie Brothers in QS this Sunday

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Brent

300 Club - QQ All-Star
Hey gang - if I'm breaking any rules or guidelines by posting about my show - let me know (I believe in playing nicely with others) ...

Worked out all the timings - and despite my long winded, but highly clever bander - I'll be playing all 4 classic Doobie Brothers albums - complete - remixed for QS. (Yes the RM in Radio Max really stands for Regular Matrix)
No matter how familiar you are with these albums - you've never heard them like this before. You can listen through a surround sound system, or with stereo headphones - as long as you listen smile emoticon:)
These are the original quad mixes available in the 1970s, but you could not play them over the radio, as quad.
This Sunday at 9 (AM or PM) - The Vinyl Resting Place goes full quad on RadioMaxMusic.com - and makes radio history
- and I promise - never to refer to myself as the Quadfather (out of respect for Hugo Montenegro).

RMM-Doobie-Q.jpg

Its the first time I've seen the site. Looks interesting. I might try to compare a track or two to the discrete versions I have... just because I can;)

I assume the closest I can come to decoding something like this is to run the stereo signal through my Pre/Pro set to DPLII. I have no QS or RM decoders. Unless someone on the board knows of a better way? :lookaround

Its the first time I've seen the site. Looks interesting. I might try to compare a track or two to the discrete versions I have... just because I can;)

I assume the closest I can come to decoding something like this is to run the stereo signal through my Pre/Pro set to DPLII. I have no QS or RM decoders. Unless someone on the board knows of a better way? :lookaround

I believe the pro logic circuitry is very close.

This "project" has been a bit eye opening. - Over the 12 years I've been on the air playing (like jack) what I want - I would occasionally put in a cut from a QS or SQ album. - I've been able to sq encode through hardware since the mid-70s, but never got into QS until recently.

truth be told - I was always a quad-snob - if it wasn't discrete - it wasn't really quad.
matrix was kid's stuff, and up-mixes - please!

well.

I'm off my high horse (hurt a bit coming down :) - it really always should have been about the overall experience - but I was always more fascinated with separation, and to turn off some portions and study others. I had forgotten that it was about the listening experience.

Because the human brain/ears can't accurately place sounds coming from behind you - the phase shifting on martix recordings trick the brain into thinking there is directionality (sounds coming from behind) - it can be argued that (provided you can't turn your head) - matrix is a better quad experience than discrete.

well - I'm not ready to go that far, but between having a solid decoder, and the tricks phase shifting play on the brain - I'm not the snob I was.

I've been playing more quad on my show - probably going to (ultimately) dedicate 1 hour each week to either playing actual matrix releases, or making my own (either by mixing tracks from stems, or taking original quad material and encoding them).

The listener base has been on the up-tic since my quad playlist has increased - some seem to "tune in" because they like the "remix" concept, some for the quad, some for the material - none because they like the sound of my voice (go figure).

I don't believe I'll have any direct impact on more quad material being re-issued or a greater public interest, but hopefully my little show can be, well, another brick in the wall .....<sorry>

so - yes, prologicII should be fine :)

Last edited:
I loved these 4 albums in discrete quad as well, but when you obtain an "Encoder" encoding from 4 into 2 for QS or SQ can be alot of fun as I've discovered.

Had these CD-4 discs promptly encoded to both matrice's years back. And as long as you have a good decoder such as Sansui's QSD 2 (or equivalent) and Fosgate's 101a (or equivalent) you can pretty much copy that discrete experience .

Kinda getting the Quad mixers experience, I think. And Encoders can adjust those 4 signals, as an increase (or decrease) in
each channel.

Gives you the advantage of improving a lacklustre rear channel discrete mix .

This is not true of those 4 Doobies Quads, they're quite good as is.

I'm listening right now and enjoying it.

Now I have a question about how to get the receiver to decode the quad signal.

My computer is hooked up to a modern Yamaha receiver in DLPII music mode. It seems to decode this somehow, but I've no idea if this is just the DLPII effect or if it's actually interpreting anything. Would it sound the same for a stereo transmission? The connection between the computer and receiver is a Toslink optical (not my preference - long story).

THere's a lot I don't know about all this, and I'd be gratified for any advice.

Hi

Sorry for the late replies - In the future (assuming there is one) I be sure to mention is NYC time (US/EST) -
as for how to listen - Ideally it could be played through a QS or RM decoder (If you have an old Lafayette SQ-L or SQ-W - the composer A setting is QS - they just didn't want to pay to license it. Composer B is straight SQ - lo logic).
The good news is - if you have a receiver equipped with, or an outboard Pro-Logic II decoder - you'll get a result that is fairly close to the original intent.

and thanks for those who listened in -

these might be of use...

for QS
https://www.dropbox.com/s/gareyxxnwt1siag/432 QS setup.wav?dl=0

for SQ
https://www.dropbox.com/s/o7jf7yqaseyuzu0/432 SQ setup.wav?dl=0

for some reason they don't work on all browsers - so here are tine urls to the same files

since there's no issue with copyright - I put these in dropbox so they don't keep vanishing every 2 days -
seems facebook doesn't like direct links to drop box - so here are some tiny urls

for QS
https://tinyurl.com/ydeonsqv
for SQ
https://tinyurl.com/y7rlybfd

these are 2 wav files. one to calibrate your SQ system, one to calibrate your QS system
- there's a 432 tone (because I'm sick of 440) for about 20 seconds
- first in the left front, then right front the left rear then right rear.
if you have a system that allows you to alter the balance - that's really the only adjustment you can make, but these files will at least show you what kind of separation you're getting.
The nice thing with these - they can not only show you the degree of separation your system is providing - they can also show how compatible your particular decoder is with QS or SQ. ain't technology grand - and ~45 year old technology at that!

Bill

Last edited:
Back