Thanks Thanks:  61
Likes Likes:  115

View Poll Results: Rate the SACD of Pure Prairie League - TWO LANE HIGHWAY & IF THE SHOE FITS

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • 10: Great Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

7 25.00%

16 57.14%

3 10.71%

2 7.14%

0 0%

0 0%

0 0%

0 0%

0 0%
  • 1: Poor Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pure Prairie League - TWO LANE HIGHWAY & IF THE SHOE FITS [SACD]

Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Blog entryCreated Album picturesTagger First Class
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Pure Prairie League - TWO LANE HIGHWAY & IF THE SHOE FITS [SACD]

Please post your thoughts and comments on this 2017 Multichannel SACD release from Dutton Vocalion containing two original Quadraphonic mixes from the band Pure Prairie League of the albums "Two Lane Highway" and "If The Shoe Fits".

Surround yourself with the best.

Coming soon in 2017: "Eye in the Sky" (The Alan Parsons Project), "Black Sea" (XTC) and "A Farewell to Kings" (RUSH)!
    Already released: "Songs from the Wood" (Jethro Tull); "Misplaced Childhood" (Marillion); "Three Piece Suite" (Gentle Giant) and "Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band"

2. Thanks fredblue, timbre4, Snood, infaze thanked for this post
    Likes GOS, fredblue, timbre4, sperezmore, Snood liked this post
    300 Club - QQ All Star
    Level
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 292
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Pure Prairie League - TWO LANE HIGHWAY & IF THE SHOE FITS [SACD]

Great surround mix on this. I'm not familiar with the original albums so this was a very pleasant surprise. Just makes you wish that the Eagles albums were given the same treatment.

4. Thanks Snood thanked for this post
    Likes fredblue, GOS, Snood, sjcorne, timbre4, 360 SOUND liked this post
    Level
    Overall activity: 45.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdriveSocial50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mattB2 View Post
    Great surround mix on this. I'm not familiar with the original albums so this was a very pleasant surprise.
    Be sure to give it a rating in the poll.

6. Thanks Snood thanked for this post
    Likes fredblue, peterzach, Snood liked this post
    300 Club - QQ All Star oxenholme's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 304
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Yet another band that I'd never heard of that turns out to be excellent.

Superb material, superb quad mix, superb sound.

8. Thanks peterzach, Snood thanked for this post
    Likes GOS, fredblue, peterzach, timbre4, Snood liked this post
    Surroundaholic Moderator Bob Romano's Avatar
    Level
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Post Thanks / Like

DV hits it out of the park again. Two great albums - one awesome sounding disc. I just hope they keep this up. Highly recomended if you like country rock.

10. Thanks GOS, peterzach, timbre4, elmer, Snood, ar surround thanked for this post
    Level
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 163
    Overall activity: 38.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

Totally awesome...can't stop listening to the title track. Pretty much perfect quad mix...drums and bass up front with lead vocals while guitar solos and keyboard split LR-RR with backing vocals (though it does vary as some songs have different instrumentation). Some of the material is a bit too country for my tastes but is for the most part catchy. I can see the comparison to the early eagles albums as others have noted. I like Two Lane Highway more than If The Shoe Fits, but there are some great tracks on both and I'm glad to have them both on the same disc.

The clear standout among DV's august releases IMO. 10

12. Thanks skherbeck, Snood thanked for this post
    Likes skherbeck, GOS, timbre4, fredblue, Snood liked this post
    Level
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveSocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

Geez - this may be one of the quickest 10's I've voted. This whole set sounds amazing. Simply, amazing. If you have any amount of country rock inside of you...simply do not hesitate. This one is a big time steal!! There are so many influences here...even a tune that has a little blue-grass going on...

Eagles, Grateful Dead to mention a couple. I love it....

14. Thanks Snood, peterzach thanked for this post
    Level
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 187
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

A huge upgrade from my CD-4 discs, everything just sounds better! Of course I've always loved the songs and the discrete Quad mixes. This disc is a 9 for me.. Thanks Vocalion. How about The Guess Who albums "Road Food" and "10" on the next disc.

16. Thanks Snood thanked for this post
    Likes GOS, sjcorne, fredblue, timbre4, Snood liked this post
    Level
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 1
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

(That was a fast response, GOS, given all the other discs you just received!)

I posted my thoughts elsewhere, so I gave it a 9.

A great rating, the best, even, for 4.0 in my book. Sorry, I'm a noob who started with 5.1 a few years ago and can't rate 4.0 above a 9 because of that

Don't let my prejudice influence you, though. This is a great deal -- grab it!

18. Thanks GOS, Snood, peterzach thanked for this post
    Likes fredblue, Snood, peterzach liked this post
    300 Club - QQ All Star Which_One_Is_Pink's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 193
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Been a while since I have listened to any PPL albums as I only had these on cassette and my Nakamichi has been mothballed for a few decades now, well anywho, I always liked the first 2 PPL albums quite a lot (anyone know if they were ever quadified?), and Two Lane Highway was always a highlight with me mainly due to the title song but Kansas City Southern really shines here in Quad, listen to that whistle blow! If The Shoe Fits I am less familiar with as Lucille Crawfield was the only song I could remember liking from it but is an overall fine album and will become even more fine now as it sounds great in Quad. As with the AF Quad releases the fidelity is superb! Now if we could have the first 2 in a multi-ch format that would be grand!

Assessment - PPL TLH/ITSF QUAD SACD Score: A-9. Great Job Vocalion, looking forward to any and all popular QUAD releases you can bring us
    "Some people are like Slinkies. They have no practical use whatsoever, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."
    --- Unknown ---

"Never argue with an idiot, he'll drag you down to his level and beat you on experience!"
    --- Unknown ---

"Knowledge is the antidote to fear."
    --- Ralph Waldo Emerson ---

"Music make me happy, multichannel music make me very happy!"
    --- Me : ) ---

20. Thanks Clint Eastwood, skherbeck, Snood, peterzach thanked for this post
    1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
    Level
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveSocial50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Post Thanks / Like

A little too country for my tastes...BUT...you have to appreciate the quality...an easy 9 for me...

22. Thanks Snood, peterzach thanked for this post
    Likes GOS, fredblue, Perpendicular, Snood, peterzach liked this post
    Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Clint Eastwood View Post
    A little too country for my tastes...BUT...you have to appreciate the quality...an easy 9 for me...
    Yeah that's one of the problems with Country Rock it has that pesky Country in the Rock, fortunately in small doses bands like PPL, Poco, Little River Band go down pretty easy for the most part, of course I was born in Alabama so this may also have some influence.
    "Some people are like Slinkies. They have no practical use whatsoever, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."
    --- Unknown ---

"Never argue with an idiot, he'll drag you down to his level and beat you on experience!"
    --- Unknown ---

24. Thanks Clint Eastwood, Snood thanked for this post
    Likes GOS, Clint Eastwood, Snood liked this post
    Level
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 218
    Overall activity: 65.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranSocial10000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Which_One_Is_Pink View Post
    Yeah that's one of the problems with Country Rock it has that pesky Country in the Rock, fortunately in small doses bands like PPL, Poco, Little River Band go down pretty easy for the most part, of course I was born in Alabama so this may also have some influence.
    LRB? All I hear is pure adult contemporary pop/rock. Maybe, their early work? I'll look into it. Great band that I've really come to appreciate over the past two decades.

I've never heard either of these two albums until now. When I started playing it, I thought I was listening to The Eagles. The music on both albums is good but not something I'll play all the time. With the exception of That'll Be The Day (sorry, but I find that Linda Ronstadt is the only artist that can do justice to this tune), I tend to favor, If The Shoe Fits, out of the two albums. To me, the quad mix sounds great if I'm comparing it to what it is, 4.0, not 5.1. The one little problem I'm finding is the rear channels seem a bit too hot but this could be an adjustment I need to make. I will check into it before I vote but as is, right now, a solid 8 will be forthcoming.

Btw, the vocals are superb and the songwriting by Larry Goshorn is excellent.

26. Thanks Snood, peterzach thanked for this post
    Likes Snood, peterzach liked this post
    Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Perpendicular View Post
    LRB? All I hear is pure adult contemporary pop/rock. Maybe, their early work? I'll look into it. Great band that I've really come to appreciate over the past two decades.
    Yeah the country influence was a little more more prevalent on the first 2 albums (listen to "Seine City" or "Sweet Old Fashioned Man" from "After Hours", with "Diamantina Cocktail" they started moving more towards Pablo Cruise Pop/Rock territory and reminding more of the rockier parts of the Eagles and Poco. And "First Under The Wire" was the last album I was familiar with where the change appears complete. Don't know much of what came after.
    --- Unknown ---

--- Unknown ---

28. Thanks peterzach, Perpendicular thanked for this post
    Likes peterzach liked this post
    1K Club - QQ Shooting Star quicksrt's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 214
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience PointsTagger Second Class
    Post Thanks / Like

This is the first SACD I listened to out of my new batch of six DV titles. The performances, production, and quad mix job goes a long way here to please tough critics, and to satisfy for lack of hits on these albums.

My system is set up just a tad bright I've always felt, but this SACD sounds warm and perfectly balanced, and makes me thankful for the sound I got out of a limited budget and speakers that match in size but not make, or make but not model number. In other words not matched pairs at all.

This disc shows that I got lucky and surround sound is very cohesive with these speakers.

I'm leaning on 9 because of the demo disc qualities.

30. Thanks woody, peterzach thanked for this post
    Likes kap'n krunch, fredblue, GOS, peterzach liked this post
    1K Club - QQ Shooting Star John Svensson's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 28
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranSocial10000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm in the same boat with Quicksrt, on My system, with all its mismatched speaker pair faults..... this is one of the nicest sounding m-ch SACDs I've had the pleasure to hear. There is a good variety of styles in the music I would conclude. Yes, that pesky pedal steel is in there to let you know there is a "country" element, something that I abhorred back in the day/decade, but I find it quite nice now in comparison to the schlepp pop that passes for country music now. In the 60-70's country music was at least "real", now it is get a guy/girl off the streets of Dallas, LA (name it..) move them to Nashville, plant a cowboy hat on them and teach them to sing with a drawl. Rant over....some great ballads and fast tempo songs, and a varied mix with the pedal steel, background vocals in the rears, etc. All with a high state of fidelity. Hard to beat it. Keep them coming Dave Z. and DV. Oh yeah, I was a 10 vote....but my girl says that I'm easy.

32. Thanks peterzach thanked for this post
    Likes GOS, peterzach, fredblue liked this post
    1K Club - QQ Shooting Star quicksrt's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 214
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience PointsTagger Second Class
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm saving the 10 ratings for discs that have material which is exceptionally stellar. The "Full Sail" album type of deal. This music does not hit that high watermark on each and every track. Some tracks perhaps yes.

34. Thanks Snood thanked for this post
    Likes Snood liked this post
    1K Club - QQ Shooting Star DuncanS's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 665
    Overall activity: 74.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranSocialRecommendation Second Class25000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

I have heard these before (in stereo on good old vinyl many years ago) as I recognised a few tracks.

Music: There are some really good tracks, some Ok and some I'm not sure about. I think the albums miss original vocalist Craig Fuller's vocal talents, but good musicianship all round, and overall good Country-rock (I'm not the greatest fan of the pedal steel guitar though!). An 8.

Sound: The quality is great, a 9

Quad Mix: A really nice mix, instruments all around, a 9

So its an 8-9

NB: One of my favourite albums is Pure Prairie League's Bustin' Out, which if D-V put out in stereo (it never had a Quad mix as far as I know) I'd buy instantly!
    254 SACD (219 Multi, 35 Stereo), 218 DVD-Audio/DTS/DD, 27 Blu-ray Audio (19 Multi, 8 Stereo), 14 SQ LPs, 2218 plain old stereo CDs

36. Thanks Which_One_Is_Pink, Snood, peterzach thanked for this post
    Likes GOS, Which_One_Is_Pink, Snood, peterzach liked this post
    Level
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 482
    Overall activity: 38.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveSocialTagger Second Class10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DuncanS View Post
    NB: One of my favourite albums is Pure Prairie League's Bustin' Out, which if D-V put out in stereo (it never had a Quad mix as far as I know) I'd buy instantly!
    Their self-titled is really good too.
    Multichannel FLAC downloads and more:
    https://surroundmusic.one
    hi-res 2.0, 4.0, 4.1 & 5.1 available!

38. Thanks DuncanS, Which_One_Is_Pink, Snood thanked for this post
    Likes DuncanS, Which_One_Is_Pink, Snood liked this post
    1K Club - QQ Shooting Star skherbeck's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 221
    Overall activity: 35.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entrySocial1 year registered
    Post Thanks / Like

The mixes on "Two Lane Highway" are excellent for the most part; very discrete and very clean sounding. The piano solo is pretty hot (loud) on "Pickin To Beat the Devil", though. The sound is not quite as "clean" on "If The Shoe Fits", but still discrete activity going on... I don't like the mix as much (the drums are kind of spread out everywhere and there are fewer discrete elements in the rears). Musically, I prefer the more "Rockin' Country" music of the first album to the "Country Rock" of the second. Overall a good disc with some excellent tunes/mixes (about half of these will make it to my surround playlist). 8. (For Country fans, this is probably a 9 or 10)
    "One Quad to rule them all, One Quad to find them; One Quad to bring them all and in the darkness bind them."
    "The Quad is what gives a Sound System its power. It's a sound field created by four pulsing speakers that surrounds us and penetrates us."

40. Thanks Snood, peterzach thanked for this post
    Level
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 272
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice, I like it. The quad mix is the star here. Fairly good music, but a great quad mix. The quad mix is a 9, and the music is an 8. My overall enjoyment is an 8, so I vote 8. Glad to have it.

42. Thanks peterzach, Snood thanked for this post
    Likes GOS, peterzach, 360 SOUND, Snood liked this post
    Level
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 21
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Post Thanks / Like

I gave it a 9. Fidelity is just great, especially the gorgeous pedal steel. I agree that some of the rear channel instruments sound a tad too loud at times (and this is coming from a "turn up the rears!" surround fan), but I love the quad mix overall. Material is good but just a little generic at times. Still, this certainly will be getting repeat listens.

44. Thanks peterzach, Snood thanked for this post
    Likes GOS, peterzach, 360 SOUND, Snood, perzon57 liked this post
    1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
    Level
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 581
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranTagger Second ClassSocial25000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

This is my first DV title and also my first exposure to this band as well.
    I am giving this one a 10 just for the fidelity and fact its a very cool quad sounding disk and it deserves people's attention.
    If into country rock you can't go wrong with this title.
    Its by no means a perfect album(2 albums) and perfect disk and if that is what a person thinks a 10 is then this would rate a 8 for me but for mastering(fantastic) that was done by Mr Dutton and for taking a chance to get this out of the Sony vaults, that deserves a 10 in my books, we should be supporting the effort done and as long as you can afford adding some music to your library that does not break the band which these titles don't as they are very well priced,HOORAH DV, keep it up.

peter

46. Thanks GOS thanked for this post
    Likes GOS, fredblue, timbre4 liked this post
    Level
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 162
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

I never bothered with this band back in the day, but seeing the Dutton-Vocalion SACD 2fer for such a reasonable price I had to bite. Music wise I'm only luke warm to this, I would describe "Two Lane Highway" as easy listening country. I think the best track is "Harvest", the slow tempo picks up on "I'll Change Your Flat Tire, Merle" and "Pickin' To The Beat Of The Devil". Very good surround wise though, at times it's rather front oriented with only backing vocals or other instruments cutting in from the rear. The rears are a bit too loud, I had to adjust the balance toward the front (something I seldom do).
    Now "If The Shoe Fits" is also very good surround mix and the rears are never silent. This album is a bit bass heavy though, makes it sound a bit muddy to me but does give it more of a rock sound. IMHO the best track is "Sun Shone Lightly".

48. Thanks peterzach thanked for this post
    Likes peterzach liked this post
    Level
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranOverdriveCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entry
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Pure Prairie League - TWO LANE HIGHWAY & IF THE SHOE FITS [SACD]

Of course I have owned/own these two CD-4 LPs from the '70s, but I have to admit other than putting "Two Lane Highway" (the song) on a few reel compilations, I never really listened to them in depth. So getting them in really good quality in 2017 is almost a new experience for me.

The title track of "Two Lane Highway" is a formula hit for the '70s in its song structure and you have to wonder if the exact same song got the same radio exposure that the early Eagles tracks got that it would not have been more of a hit, a monster hit. You can almost hear Glenn Frey singing the song with the Eagles harmonies in it, but that would be dissing the PPL themselves. Their version is top notch as is the quad mix, the mastering, and the entire package.

Having these two relics from the RCA Quad vault suddenly appear and be made available on SACD is totally unexpected and unbelievable. With the state of the music scene today these old country rock titles feel more comfortable to us old guys then they ever did. Hey, I like some new music, I just don't want to spend the effort learning most of it. These old things fit like a comfy shoe and make you think of older times and stuff.

Having both of these quad LPs together on one SACD for such a low low price, I mean, come on, who CARES if it takes a few weeks to get them. It's worth the wait. I give this disc a solid 9 and suggest anyone who is interested to get one now before they are gone. With this stuff, you gotta grab it while you can!

GREAT JOB D-V, and terrific liner notes from our own SteelyDave
    :-jon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast