HiRez Poll Pure Prairie League - TWO LANE HIGHWAY & IF THE SHOE FITS [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Pure Prairie League - TWO LANE HIGHWAY & IF THE SHOE FITS

• Total voters
Nice, I like it. The quad mix is the star here. Fairly good music, but a great quad mix. The quad mix is a 9, and the music is an 8. My overall enjoyment is an 8, so I vote 8. Glad to have it.

I gave it a 9. Fidelity is just great, especially the gorgeous pedal steel. I agree that some of the rear channel instruments sound a tad too loud at times (and this is coming from a "turn up the rears!" surround fan), but I love the quad mix overall. Material is good but just a little generic at times. Still, this certainly will be getting repeat listens.

This is my first DV title and also my first exposure to this band as well.
I am giving this one a 10 just for the fidelity and fact its a very cool quad sounding disk and it deserves people's attention.
If into country rock you can't go wrong with this title.
Its by no means a perfect album(2 albums) and perfect disk and if that is what a person thinks a 10 is then this would rate a 8 for me but for mastering(fantastic) that was done by Mr Dutton and for taking a chance to get this out of the Sony vaults, that deserves a 10 in my books, we should be supporting the effort done and as long as you can afford adding some music to your library that does not break the band which these titles don't as they are very well priced,HOORAH DV, keep it up.

peter

I never bothered with this band back in the day, but seeing the Dutton-Vocalion SACD 2fer for such a reasonable price I had to bite. Music wise I'm only luke warm to this, I would describe "Two Lane Highway" as easy listening country. I think the best track is "Harvest", the slow tempo picks up on "I'll Change Your Flat Tire, Merle" and "Pickin' To The Beat Of The Devil". Very good surround wise though, at times it's rather front oriented with only backing vocals or other instruments cutting in from the rear. The rears are a bit too loud, I had to adjust the balance toward the front (something I seldom do).
Now "If The Shoe Fits" is also very good surround mix and the rears are never silent. This album is a bit bass heavy though, makes it sound a bit muddy to me but does give it more of a rock sound. IMHO the best track is "Sun Shone Lightly".

Of course I have owned/own these two CD-4 LPs from the '70s, but I have to admit other than putting "Two Lane Highway" (the song) on a few reel compilations, I never really listened to them in depth. So getting them in really good quality in 2017 is almost a new experience for me.

The title track of "Two Lane Highway" is a formula hit for the '70s in its song structure and you have to wonder if the exact same song got the same radio exposure that the early Eagles tracks got that it would not have been more of a hit, a monster hit. You can almost hear Glenn Frey singing the song with the Eagles harmonies in it, but that would be dissing the PPL themselves. Their version is top notch as is the quad mix, the mastering, and the entire package.

Having these two relics from the RCA Quad vault suddenly appear and be made available on SACD is totally unexpected and unbelievable. With the state of the music scene today these old country rock titles feel more comfortable to us old guys then they ever did. Hey, I like some new music, I just don't want to spend the effort learning most of it. These old things fit like a comfy shoe and make you think of older times and stuff.

Having both of these quad LPs together on one SACD for such a low low price, I mean, come on, who CARES if it takes a few weeks to get them. It's worth the wait. I give this disc a solid 9 and suggest anyone who is interested to get one now before they are gone. With this stuff, you gotta grab it while you can!

GREAT JOB D-V, and terrific liner notes from our own SteelyDave

I wouldn't call myself a country music fan but this album is just too good to not have in one's collection. The musicianship is top-notch with lovely, detailed instrumentation and smooth vocals. The interplay between the main and background vocals is addicting to listen to. The mix is very good although I had to reduced the rears to get a balance with the fronts on my system. The fidelity is top-notch on the Two Lane Highway songs. The If the Shoe Fits songs sound slightly less pristine but still acceptable by any standard. A solid 9.

These two fine country-rock albums, along with their first two fine records, have been mainstays in my music room since the early 70's. Pure Prairie League was a seminal band to this lifelong working musician and I've covered many of their songs thru the years. To actually get to hear these favored discs in surround is total ear candy for me. I prefer Two Lane Highway over If the Shoe Fits although there's a few tunes on ITSF like "Sun Shone Lightly" and "Lucille Crawfield" that I have adored for decades. The surround mix is fairly discrete and very enjoyable to me. One small caveat - I find the high-end "air" to be slightly lacking but I still gave it a "9" and I look forward to enjoying it many more times. Seminal country-rock!

Just got through tracking this for the 3rd time, and I'm very pleased. The audio quality is great! I've never heard these albums at all before, much less in Quad, and I like them very much musically (country-rock being a fave of mine).

I gave it an "8" just because, musically, these aren't quite on the same high level as Craig Fuller's material on the band's first two Lps. But two for the price of one? You have to love that!

I just bought this and played the quad mix. It sounds like the music was recorded very nicely, lots of details in the acoustic and electric instruments. I am a very big surround music fan and I had very high hopes based on the reviews. However, I was very disappointed in the quad mix.

To put it bluntly, this one seems to be mixed to show off how cool quad is. Lots of isolation of instruments placement in the four channels, but I didn’t find the mix serving the music and the songs. I like the concept of fully using the available channels to give the listener an engaging experience, but this one goes too far. It was more of “look ma, four channels” ! That being said, if you really like discrete and isolated presentation of the musical elements, this one is for you, but not for me!

Once in a blue moon, I find some band / album that I hadn't known about or simply had ignored for whatever reason. When I do find one, it's a major celebration. This Dutton twofer is in that category. These are superbly crafted albums...the writing, performances, mixing, mastering, etc. The sound is smooth as silk. I really have to ask myself why this band wasn't more commercially successful. Highly recommended if you like this genre of music. It gets another 10.

Please let me know if of other recommended Pure Prairie League hi-res albums out there...Assuming there are some.

Once in a blue moon, I find some band / album that I hadn't known about or simply had ignored for whatever reason. When I do find one, it's a major celebration. This Dutton twofer is in that category. These are superbly crafted albums...the writing, performances, mixing, mastering, etc. The sound is smooth as silk. I really have to ask myself why this band wasn't more commercially successful. Highly recommended if you like this genre of music. It gets another 10.

Please let me know if of other recommended Pure Prairie League hi-res albums out there...Assuming there are some.

According to Quadraphonic Discography, these were the only two abums remixed in surround. I voted a 9. Great two~fer. Perhaps HDTracks has some of their output on higher res downloads.

Back