HiRez Poll Jimmy Castor Bunch - DIMENSION III [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of the Jimmy Castor Bunch - DIMENSION 3

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Poor Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Please post your thoughts and comments on this 2017 Multichannel SACD release from Dutton Vocalion of the album "Dimension 3" by the Jimmy Castor Bunch.
This album contains the original 1970s Quadraphonic mix, and it is the first official release of the album since 1973! :yikes
The Quadraphonic mix is also available to stream in Dolby Audio via Apple Music:
https://music.apple.com/us/album/dimension-iii/1348075456
(n) :) (y)

81r%2ByLL3AcL._SL1424_.jpg

71uGfh2RKbL._SL1200_.jpg

Last edited:
So this was the wild card from the Quad bunch of Quads for me,

Sound Quality: Its very good, you can only tell its an early 70s recording by the drum sound, so an 8

Quad Mix: It works well, a good Quad mix, well placed instruments, so I'll give it a 7

Music: There is a track which shouts "Issac Hayes" at you, and confirmed when I read steelydave's liner notes (really informative :upthumb ) after listening. Musicianship & the arrangements are good, I definitely prefer the instrumental side, Jimmy Castor is a good Sax player. Most of the vocal tracks just weren't "my cup of tea". But it is not a bad album. So ignoring my musical taste I'll give it a 6-7 for the content as it is very well done.

So a solid 7.

The material disappointed me. I'm not keen on his playing style, and I am not at all keen on the vocals.

Material - 4

Quad mix - 10

Sound quality - 10

Which turns out to be an 8. Which is fair. The mix and the mastering are top notch.

Never heard of Jimmy Castor.....

I do like the disc, and I like the music, mostly. I think the fidelity is a bit off compared to other Vocalion releases. Still, it's good. The mix is good too, maybe not up to par with others.

I'd say it's a good title to own and I'm glad I have it. :)
I voted an 8...

Never heard of Jimmy Castor.....

I do like the disc, and I like the music, mostly. I think the fidelity is a bit off compared to other Vocalion releases. Still, it's good. The mix is good too, maybe not up to par with others.

I'd say it's a good title to own and I'm glad I have it. :)
I voted an 8...

Have you had the pleasure of the Troglodyte song yet? If not you should check it out, don't know if it would be improved by a multi-ch mix , but it would be fun and you get Bertha Butt one of the Butt sisters...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNS42Na2mpc

I listened to this QUAD D~V SACD again last night and could only bring myself to vote a "7." A VERY mixed bag, IMO.

Now if D~V could only secure the licensing approval to release the great, inimitable Isaac Hayes in QUAD.........now, that would be supreme!

I'm still listening to this SACD with open ears and open mind, and need one more listen before I review.

Speaking of brutally honest reviews, where is the Tower of Power DV SACD high-res spotlight thread???

When I think of The Jimmy Castor Bunch I think of "Troglodyte", nothing on this is at all similar to that one hit. I do have the CD-4 album but I'm sure I only played it once or twice.
That being said the SACD sounds great and the surround is also very good. I like the instrumentals on the last half of the album more than the tracks with vocals. It's not something I'm likely to listen to very often, so will vote 7.

Back