RIP - Glen Campbell

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glen with members of Stone Temple Pilots, singing Witchita Lineman.

[video=youtube;skuEiYfnSFg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skuEiYfnSFg&list=RDskuEiYfnSFg[/video]

For me, "Wichita Lineman" is the Campbell keeper. As impressive as Glen is on it, and yet another fine Jimmy Webb song, what you may find missing in the current discussion about the man is that his during the peak years--I would say 1967 through '70--he had Al De Lory as producer and arranger, an underrated relationship. I think they outdid themselves with this one, and "Galveston" ain't too shabby, either.

Overall, though, despite his talents, his recording output was steady but erratic in quality. His early Capitol albums show a fine picker but, like fellow axeman Roy Clark, a talented but not particularly charismatic performer. Despite its modest success in 1967, his cover of John Hartford's signature song, "Gentle on My Mind" could also be said to be his own, despite such Rolling Stone folderol in declaring such putrid fodder as "Rhinestone Cowboy" as definitive (the best I can say about it was that it was a hit). Some good material is buried on his albums from the Capitol years, well worth seeking out if you haven't heard them.

RS also made--and too many will--a lot out of his inclusion in the 'Wrecking Crew,' even though, despite all his dates at the studios, at the time he was one of the less heralded regulars. Not a bad thing, but unlike most of the others, he obviously had his sights set on a career as a pop star, and had the voice and looks to eventually succeed. Not quite country, not quite pop, he appealed to both. And back in a time when you didn't necessarily have to be talented to succeed on television, he, like Johnny Cash, made quite an interesting variety show in spite of network meddling (also true of the Smothers Brothers--for a time).

His last few albums were very good, among the most consistently enjoyable of his career. At times one hears the same pathos as Cash's American Recordings, though not the grit and power. He will be missed, and it's sad that his last years were spent in that nebulous, unspeakable ozone that is Alzheimer's, dementia. Rest in peace, GTC.

ED

Reactions: GOS
Well, Glen Campbell and Johnny Mathis were the first 2 concerts I ever went to. Yeah, it was with my dad, who was a huge fan...way back in the early 70's I guess. Both were at The Assembly Hall in Champaign, IL.

For this reason, Glen holds a very special place in my heart as it reminds me of my pappy. (y)

I do not have a religion
But I liked him singing
I knew Jesus before he was a Superstar plus many others

Glen Campbell's prowess on the guitar can not be underestimated. I may have watched the below video numerous times, but I always enjoy it.

[video=youtube_share;33Zr3hnPQGU]https://youtu.be/33Zr3hnPQGU[/video]

Thank you for all of the entertainment over the decades. RIP

His playing of the William Tell Overture is pretty amazing.

Glen Campbell - William Tell Overture on You Tube.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUBhE00h9U0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bhuxkzjuQc

OK, so I have watched a bunch of Glen tonight.

Remember some months ago when people were saying that Prince was one of the best guitarists? I was unconvinced. Tonight people are saying the same thing about Glen Campbell, and they are right! I cannot believe I missed seeing him - if I had been aware of his chops I would have sought him out live.

I am really not much for musician comparisons. I feel that once you reach a certain level, it is just a matter of style differences. But since people were tossing around the "greatest" word for Prince, I feel compelled to weigh in. As far as guitar talent, I'd put him up against Prince any day of the century!

Anyway, RIP to both of these men who contributed to the musical joy of the masses. They both deserve an honored place among the talents of our lifetimes.

For me, "Wichita Lineman" is the Campbell keeper.

I, too, have been watching and listening to a lot of Glen Campbell since his passing. Came across the version of "Wichita Lineman" in the below video that is just.....amazing.

[video=youtube_share;B49YDR6OMIE]https://youtu.be/B49YDR6OMIE[/video]

I, too, have been watching and listening to a lot of Glen Campbell since his passing. Came across the version of "Wichita Lineman" in the below video that is just.....amazing.

[video=youtube_share;B49YDR6OMIE]https://youtu.be/B49YDR6OMIE[/video]

Thanks for finding that. Love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I feel bad that it took almost 50 years for me to realize the depth of this man's talent. I had always thought of him as just another highly polished pop act of the late 60's / early 70's. I didn't realize that he was such a great, well respected guitarist who was highly sought out as session musician in his early years. And now I see that he can play bagpipes too.

When Glen Campbell was in his heyday, I was a teen who was mostly into Black Sabbath and Deep Purple. In my little world at the time, it was very un-hip to listen to anything like Campbell... it was akin to listening to Tony Orlando, The Partridge Family, Donnie & Marie Osmond, or any other similar AM radio easy listening style programming. Although I knew of his mastery of guitar from seeing his Goodtime Hour show a few times (of course I had also heard of Roy Clark who seemed to walk a similar path with the Hee Haw show, and I also knew who Johnny Cash was of course)... it was all just basic old time country and I wasn't interested at all. For the most part I still feel the same way toward country music, except much of the new stuff (what they call "New Country" now) is just magnitudes worse IMO. But over the years as I matured, I did develop a respect for the man, and there is no debating his accomplishments. Who knows? If Glen Campbell had come on the scene later in my life, I may have become a fan. RIP

I feel bad that it took almost 50 years for me to realize the depth of this man's talent. I had always thought of him as just another highly polished pop act of the late 60's / early 70's. I didn't realize that he was such a great, well respected guitarist who was highly sought out as session musician in his early years. And now I see that he can play bagpipes too.

It depends on when you first became aware of Glen Campbell. He was a legendary studio guitarist for years as part of the Wrecking Crew before he went on to become a singer and actor.
In fact, in the Wrecking Crew videos and movie, the other studio musicians are seen ribbing Campbell saying "now he's a singer and a star..." :)

Definitely one of the best guitarists in several genres of music over the years.

It makes me sad that he had to die for so many people to finally see his greatness. Another great country guitarist most people don't know about is Jerry Reed. Most think of him as a goofball in the Smokey movies, but he was as good, if not better than Glen.

When Glen Campbell was in his heyday, I was a teen who was mostly into Black Sabbath and Deep Purple. In my little world at the time, it was very un-hip to listen to anything like Campbell... it was akin to listening to Tony Orlando, The Partridge Family, Donnie & Marie Osmond, or any other similar AM radio easy listening style programming. Although I knew of his mastery of guitar from seeing his Goodtime Hour show a few times (of course I had also heard of Roy Clark who seemed to walk a similar path with the Hee Haw show, and I also knew who Johnny Cash was of course)... it was all just basic old time country and I wasn't interested at all. For the most part I still feel the same way toward country music, except much of the new stuff (what they call "New Country" now) is just magnitudes worse IMO. But over the years as I matured, I did develop a respect for the man, and there is no debating his accomplishments. Who knows? If Glen Campbell had come on the scene later in my life, I may have become a fan. RIP

Personally, I wouldn't consider Glen Campbell "basic old-time country", although he could certainly play that style and perhaps did.
His albums in the 60's were pure AM Pop Music.
I guess Rhinestone Cowboy might be considered by some as some mutation of country but to me it's still Pop.
Brian Wilson thought enough of Campbell's talent to make him a performing Beach Boy.
Not too shabby, eh?

For the last week I have been singing Galveston and Wichita Lineman during the day....can't seen to shake it...I was another who was unaware of the depth of Glen's talents...I don't like Country Western music but there are some performers who rise above their classification...like Johnny Cash...and others who have several classifications...like Glen Campbell...a little country and a little pop...and when you peel the onion back of Glenn's song list...there are some real hidden gems to be found...and some versions of previously released songs by other artists that are very well done...this one is stuck in my head

[video=youtube;r0nMPVwdmjk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0nMPVwdmjk&index=2&list=RDB49YDR6OMIE[/video]

Back