RIP - Glen Campbell

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For the last week I have been singing Galveston and Wichita Lineman during the day....can't seen to shake it...I was another who was unaware of the depth of Glen's talents...I don't like Country Western music but there are some performers who rise above their classification...like Johnny Cash...and others who have several classifications...like Glen Campbell...a little country and a little pop...and when you peel the onion back of Glenn's song list...there are some real hidden gems to be found...and some versions of previously released songs by other artists that are very well done...this one is stuck in my head

[video=youtube;r0nMPVwdmjk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0nMPVwdmjk&index=2&list=RDB49YDR6OMIE[/video]

When I went back to vinyl, the first thing I did was buy all of Glen's good albums, and I play them regularly. I love them all and he just strikes a "chord" with me. Always has...good stuff.

After the music stops on this video be sure to stay until the video ends.....

[video=youtube;JMh78jF-fMQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMh78jF-fMQ&index=5&list=RDB49YDR6OMIE[/video]

I bought that album too and it's a real tribute and many of the songs are tear-jerkers, considering the topic of most.

Glen's album from 1968 and a little paragraph about it...

Released in 1968, Glen Campbell's By the Time I Get to Phoenix was also a major genre-crossing success, winning the year's coveted Album of the Year Grammy Award and topping Billboard's Country Albums chart at No. 1 and reaching No. 15 on the Billboard 200. The Platinum-certified album's title track hit No. 1 on the Country Singles chart and peaked at No. 26 on the Hot 100, and the song earned two Grammy Awards for Campbell: Best Vocal Performance, Male and Best Contemporary Solo Vocal Performance, Male.

I never bought a Glen Campbell album or 45. I do remember his "Goodtime Hour" summer replacement series for the Smothers Brothers on CBS way back when. As I think about his career, I find that although I never bought his records, I seem to know (and really like) a lot of his songs even to this day. I guess he was one of those performers that I always knew was there but I never really connected with the way I did with the classic rock artists of that era.

As he got older and became ill, I finally understood how good of an artist and performer he was, and respect and admire his early, middle, and later work. He seemed to gain a LOT of public cred as he was getting closer to the end of his life.

Being a lot older than I was back when that "Goodtime Hour" was on the air: "It's knowing that your door is always open and your path is free to walk...Hi everybody, I'm Glen Campbell!" (see, I still remember that opening), I can really feel in listening to those old songs how good they were and how good his performances were.

Glen Campbell is an artist that I missed the first time around. I am going to get me some Glen Campbell now. A bit late, but it's not the first time for me.

Reactions: GOS
I never bought a Glen Campbell album or 45. I do remember his "Goodtime Hour" summer replacement series for the Smothers Brothers on CBS way back when. As I think about his career, I find that although I never bought his records, I seem to know (and really like) a lot of his songs even to this day. I guess he was one of those performers that I always knew was there but I never really connected with the way I did with the classic rock artists of that era.

As he got older and became ill, I finally understood how good of an artist and performer he was, and respect and admire his early, middle, and later work. He seemed to gain a LOT of public cred as he was getting closer to the end of his life.

Being a lot older than I was back when that "Goodtime Hour" was on the air: "It's knowing that your door is always open and your path is free to walk...Hi everybody, I'm Glen Campbell!" (see, I still remember that opening), I can really feel in listening to those old songs how good they were and how good his performances were.

Glen Campbell is an artist that I missed the first time around. I am going to get me some Glen Campbell now. A bit late, but it's not the first time for me.

Jon, that is most awesome!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I never was a huge Glenn Campbell fan back in the day, guess I was too young and into rock, but this song really does bring back memories from my childhood. It's such a happy-go-lucky song and just puts a smile on my face. Ironically enough, it's in the new Guardians of the Galaxy Vol.2 movie in the scene where Rocket Raccoon jumps out of the trees and starts going crazy attacking the bad guy Ravagers, and it's quite a hilarious juxtaposition for such a mellow, carefree song to go with such crazy, frenetic fighting. This is one of the biggest movies of the year, and I would think Glenn Campbell was probably pretty happy and proud about having it in there. A nice way to go out on top.

[video=youtube;4eJmqVwbyQY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eJmqVwbyQY[/video]

In my mind I always heard the following exchange:

Glen: Howdy, my name is Glen Campbell and tonight's special guest is Barry White. Hello Barry.

Barry: Howdy Glen how are you?

Personally, I wouldn't consider Glen Campbell "basic old-time country", although he could certainly play that style and perhaps did.
His albums in the 60's were pure AM Pop Music.
I guess Rhinestone Cowboy might be considered by some as some mutation of country but to me it's still Pop.
Brian Wilson thought enough of Campbell's talent to make him a performing Beach Boy.
Not too shabby, eh?

Glen Campbell was the session guitarist for Frank Sinatra's "Stranger in The Night" album. The Chairman of the Board and the Nelson Riddle Orchestra....that's good company to keep.

Glen Campbell was the session guitarist for Frank Sinatra's "Stranger in The Night" album. The Chairman of the Board and the Nelson Riddle Orchestra....that's good company to keep.

And he was a member of The Beach Boys for a time.
A very talented guitarist and singer.

Just saw this jam with Roy Clark. :worthy

[video=youtube;A-sExIVBVaw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-sExIVBVaw[/video]

The entire "Wichita Lineman" album is an absolute masterpiece. I remember my mom bringing it home when I was a teen and I played it over and over. And, at the time, I didn't even usually like that style of music.

"Dreams of the Everyday Housewife" still affects me.

Doug

Back