Wacky 3D problem

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seilerbird

600 Club - QQ All-Star
I just bought the Deep Purple in Concert in 3D disc and it looked terrible. The bottom one third of the screen was fuzzy. So I tried all the manual settings and could not fix the problem. So I decided to try some other DVDs and see if it was the disc or the TV. Turns out it was the TV but just not as noticeable on my other discs. I thought maybe I was sitting too close but the Internet says to sit 1.4x the screen size away. That would be 77 inches from my 55 inch. That was the distance I was at so I moved it to 87 inches to see if it made a difference and it did not. I finally noticed that if there were strong vertical objects on the screen near the bottom and the objects were close then the convergence was off. I could see the actual object and then I could see a weak left image an inch or so to the left and a weak right image an inch or so on the right. After doing an Internet search and coming up blank I kept watching it and thinking about the problem when it dawned on me. I have a large window directly behind me and it reflects on the screen so I had the screen tipped so the top of the screen was closer to me than the bottom. I adjusted the screen so it was at a right angle to me and the problem disappeared. That should have been obvious to me if I would have thought it out first. So check your TV and see if it is on an angle. If so you might see a clearer image with a small adjustment.

I just bought the Deep Purple in Concert in 3D disc and it looked terrible. The bottom one third of the screen was fuzzy. So I tried all the manual settings and could not fix the problem. So I decided to try some other DVDs and see if it was the disc or the TV. Turns out it was the TV but just not as noticeable on my other discs. I thought maybe I was sitting too close but the Internet says to sit 1.4x the screen size away. That would be 77 inches from my 55 inch. That was the distance I was at so I moved it to 87 inches to see if it made a difference and it did not. I finally noticed that if there were strong vertical objects on the screen near the bottom and the objects were close then the convergence was off. I could see the actual object and then I could see a weak left image an inch or so to the left and a weak right image an inch or so on the right. After doing an Internet search and coming up blank I kept watching it and thinking about the problem when it dawned on me. I have a large window directly behind me and it reflects on the screen so I had the screen tipped so the top of the screen was closer to me than the bottom. I adjusted the screen so it was at a right angle to me and the problem disappeared. That should have been obvious to me if I would have thought it out first. So check your TV and see if it is on an angle. If so you might see a clearer image with a small adjustment.

Great Caesar's Ghost, seilerbird, you are having a heap o' trouble with your LG. Ever try talking SEXY to it?:howl Sounds like 3D of the FOURTH KIND!:yikes BTW, hope you got the Deep Purple disc at the reduced price of $9.99 from Amazon. It WAS $12.99.

Great Caesar's Ghost, seilerbird, you are having a heap o' trouble with your LG. Ever try talking SEXY to it?:howl Sounds like 3D of the FOURTH KIND!:yikes BTW, hope you got the Deep Purple disc at the reduced price of $9.99 from Amazon. It WAS $12.99.
I paid $10.99 for it. I have had three LG 3D TVs that I had to exchange and this one has been repaired twice. But this last problem was all my fault. I can't blame LG for me hanging it wrong.

I paid $10.99 for it. I have had three LG 3D TVs that I had to exchange and this one has been repaired twice. But this last problem was all my fault. I can't blame LG for me hanging it wrong.

Praytell, seilerbird, how did you hang it? Was this also the cause of the previous LG OLED failure? I have mine sitting atop the solid wood center channel speaker in my bedroom on the included LG pedestal.

Really hope you can get this situation resolved.

I'm just glad I didn't spring for the 77" LG 3D OLED model.

Mine is mounted on a stand in the middle of my living room. It is really heavy duty and solid. I really don't know if it was the cause of the previous failures but I really doubt it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N07Q0ID/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I concur: that shouldn't be the problem. But I hate to see you going through all the fanfare of replacing TVs only to have them fail again and again. Whenever a piece of my equipment fails, it's like someone stabbed me [I know, I'm being overly dramatic] but I've been having my share of problems lately. I'm on my third Meridian SooLoo and now the 12 volt power supplies crapped out and I have to replace them. If this SooLoo craps out....I was told they don't make them anymore and I'm plum outta luck.

I concur: that shouldn't be the problem. But I hate to see you going through all the fanfare of replacing TVs only to have them fail again and again. Whenever a piece of my equipment fails, it's like someone stabbed me [I know, I'm being overly dramatic] but I've been having my share of problems lately. I'm on my third Meridian SooLoo and now the 12 volt power supplies crapped out and I have to replace them. If this SooLoo craps out....I was told they don't make them anymore and I'm plum outta luck.
In May of 2015 I ordered an LG 55UB8500 from Amazon for $1200. It arrived and the shipper unpacked it and turned it on. The picture was defective. They wrapped it back up and shipped it back and sent me another one a week later. It also had a defective picture but it was a different defect. I don't remember exactly what the issue was because they only had them turned on for a minute or two. So when the second one went back I decided to get a Vizio 49 inch non 3D. By February of this year I was finally upset about not having a 3d tv and I was moving to a larger RV so I wanted a larger screen and I ordered the 55c6p. After I had it about a month I noticed that there was a vertical black line one pixel wide on the right hand side of the screen about a foot from the edge. I called LG and they shipped me a new one and I had to put the defective one in the box and have them pick it up the next day. The replacement worked fine until about a month ago and then it started not turning on and many times when it did turn on it would turn on the DVD player when I didn't want it to turn on. They replaced the power supply and that did not solve the problem so they replaced the screen and it has worked perfectly since then. So am I happy with LG? Well they do make the only 3d on the market and it is the best looking tv currently being made. So I don't have a choice. I love 3d and I just have to put up with them. I am not worried about the tv eventually crapping out on me. I am almost 70 years old and at my age I don't even buy green bananas. Old age is a bummer.:yikes

The Panasonic UHD 65" and 75" with 3D is still available down under but the vast majority of TV's are 2D only. Having the same problem with cinemas here with their not showing movies in 3D. Some do not deserved to be shown , especially when they cost more to see. I blame the studios who produced some post production rendered rubbish. If the audience does not feel they are getting anything extra then they will resent paying the extra. It just a pity with so much good 3D around (not always attached to a good movie) people are opting out of 3D. :phones

Those Pannys are available from Amazon but they are old models. No one is manufacturing new ones now and eventually those new TVs will not be for sale. Used ones will be the only option until someone starts making them again.

So am I happy with LG? Well they do make the only 3d on the market and it is the best looking tv currently being made. So I don't have a choice. I love 3d and I just have to put up with them. I am not worried about the tv eventually crapping out on me. I am almost 70 years old and at my age I don't even buy green bananas. Old age is a bummer.:yikes

I just had to say goodbye to my defective 47" 3D LG thanks to that stupid "dynamic contrast" refusing to fully shut off. The crooked scum at Fry's "replaced" it with a slightly larger USED 4k set with massive light bleed at the edges. It already took two trips to get as far as I got and between yesterday's news and dealing with that horrible store I was too exhausted to fight any more. I'm hoping I can just block the stray light with electrical tape or something. But for now LG is off my list of companies I'm willing to support.

I just had to say goodbye to my defective 47" 3D LG thanks to that stupid "dynamic contrast" refusing to fully shut off. The crooked scum at Fry's "replaced" it with a slightly larger USED 4k set with massive light bleed at the edges. It already took two trips to get as far as I got and between yesterday's news and dealing with that horrible store I was too exhausted to fight any more. I'm hoping I can just block the stray light with electrical tape or something. But for now LG is off my list of companies I'm willing to support.
Why are you dealing with Fry's? Call the LG service center. I have called them a half a dozen times and they have always treated me right.

I've been pretty lucky with the LG OLED 65" curved unit I purchased last September. Love the 3D and only had one problem. The issue was a wifi board that was bad when I purchased the tv but didn't have replaced until just about a month ago. I'll be crossing my fingers and hope nothing else happens. The only reason I went LG was because of OLED. Normally, I would have gone with Sony because I dropped Samsung after having two of their televisions. Good sets but I wouldn't purchase one now due to them not having features I want.

I'm sure all tv manufacturers have their repair issues.

Why are you dealing with Fry's?

Extended warranty. The set is/was very close to four years old now and I was right at the edge of the contract. I stupidly thought that buying the plan was a smart thing precisely because I wasn't sure 3D would last and I was nearing retirement and figured it was a responsible use of funds while I was still working. Making me even stupider, I had already been through this once before when I bought a then top-of-the-line Onkyo receiver from Fry's along with a service/replacement contract. When, as is infuriatingly common with Onkyo, service was necessary, I was told they'd only replace the thing but no longer stocked the high-end stuff and wouldn't special order one. If I had a functioning brain, I would have LEARNED at that point, but...

Call the LG service center. I have called them a half a dozen times and they have always treated me right.

I just had to deal with them a few months ago over a washing machine and was, to put it mildly, not impressed. In fact, they attempted to steal $285 from me. When I wound up giving up and buying a replacement washer, a couple of simple questions to them went completely unanswered. I probably shouldn't have bought another LG, but the prior one lasted 9 years and the price/feature ratio was excellent this time out.

Anyway, I did have the authorized LG service company out here initially, but the cost of the proposed repair (which the guy wasn't sure would have fixed the problem) was deemed too high by the warranty company, so the service was declined in favor of a new set.

I should also note that part of my attempt to fix the problem on my own involved doing a reset to factory defaults. That wiped out the TV channels, which then could not be re-entered because Google no longer supports the app that sets the channels! In other words, Google and/or LG decided that it was perfectly reasonable to deliberately cripple who knows how many sets. The repair guy said it was not the first time he'd seen that and there's no fix (which may well have played into the replacement scenario, now that I think of it). I can actually live without a tuner, but what they did is still an amazing bit of viciously arrogant contempt for the customer.

I tweeted a picture of the error message to LG and asked if they intended to consult with Google about it and got back a generic "That's a good idea."

LG also cost me a pile of money a few months ago when a mandatory software update to my cell phone completely killed GPS for good (it was always a bit iffy and the phone was already a replacement for another that was even less reliable). Since I'm retired and my only non-savings income is occasional driving for Lyft, that was a major blow. I then learned that, oh yeah, LG phones do that. Retirement is also why I didn't just say screw it and pay for the repair myself. Had it been hundreds of dollars and still not fixed the problem, that would have been a pretty big blow.

The really infuriating thing is that "dynamic contrast" is utter excrement to begin with and serves no purpose. Had they simply not included such an idiotic "feature", it never could have been stuck on and I'd still be happy.

In my opinion, LG had a sweet spot for a few years when they were no longer Goldstar, purveyor of $49 VHS machines. But that time seems to be gone.

I am sorry to hear you are having so many problems. I currently own two LG phones and I could not be happier with them (G4 and a Power). Both have worked perfectly. The big reason I am so happy with them is because they are the only phones on the market with the power and volume buttons on the back and not the sides. The buttons on the sides results in me making too many accidental phone calls and turning on the phone when I didn't want to do it. Taking it in and out of my pockets is difficult with the buttons on the side.

I am sorry to hear you are having so many problems. I currently own two LG phones and I could not be happier with them (G4 and a Power).

I actually liked the LG phone as well other than the GPS problem. Unfortunately, that was arguably the feature I needed the most. I've got a Samsung now with reliable GPS, but for all I know there are a million other deficiencies I haven't yet encountered.

Back