Oppo Releases Free DSD Stereo & Multichannel Sampler

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmoura

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
OPPO Digital has released a new Oppo DSD Sampler. This is a DSD Exclusive, not available on SACD.
It includes 6 tracks that show off DSD playback in DSD Stereo and DSD Multichannel on Oppo products, including DSD bit rates up to DSD256.

Free Oppo DSD Stereo & Multichannel Sampler.jpg

"Christopher Vick, Product Manager for Oppo says "This OPPO Digital DSD Sampler album was curated with the help of our friends at Native DSD Music. These six tracks have been chosen to highlight the technical capabilities of our OPPO Digital universal disc players as well as the high standard of audio quality found with DSD recordings. We hope you enjoy the music and that you are encouraged to seek out more recordings from these fine artists.

These DSD tracks are offered in a variety of quality levels, from DSD64, DSD128, and DSD256. Both the OPPO UDP-203 and UDP-205 are able to play DSD64 and DSD128 files directly from a USB hard drive attached to the player. DSD256 support is available on the UDP-205 when connected to the USB DAC input from a computer using DSD compatible playback software.

We're honored to partner up with NativeDSD to provide six curated DSD tracks to OPPO Digital customers and fans, for absolutely free! Just visit nativedsd.com/oppo and enter OPPOLIKESDSD during checkout to get the entire sampler absolutely free! "

https://nativedsdpresents.nativedsd.com/albums/NDSD010-oppo-dsd-sampler

If you've been curious about classical music, among others, this is a great sampler. It opens with a movement from Mahler's 1st Symphony, and closes with a movement from the 2nd symphony, in superb sound and performance.

kooooooo Thank you Bmoura :snoodhug:

Yes: thanks, Brian. Also, in case anyone missed it: earlier in the summer NativeDSD gave away an excerpt from the recording session of the first movement of Mahler's 3d. It's still there--and still free, as far as I can tell.

I downloaded it when it was released and couldn't get it to play--but I think that's because I chose a bitrate too high for my Oppo 103 via USB. Since then, I've set up a laptop with Foobar to play all my digital multichannel files, so I'm going to give it another go.

Yes: thanks, Brian. Also, in case anyone missed it: earlier in the summer NativeDSD gave away an excerpt from the recording session of the first movement of Mahler's 3d. It's still there--and still free, as far as I can tell.

Yes, the Mahler 3rd Symphony Outtake in 5 Channel DSD Surround Sound is still available for Free on the NativeDSD Music web site.
They also have 14 more Free DSD tracks in Stereo and Multichannel DSD (up to DSD 256) as well. Also worth checking out and downloading (see links below):

Free DSD Test Tracks - 50p.jpg

13 Free DSD Test Tracks
(DSD 64, DSD 128, DSD 256 Stereo & Surround Sound)
https://members.nativedsd.com/albums/just-listen-1-compilation

A Midsummer Night’s Dream by the Budapest Festival Orchestra under the direction of Ivan Fischer
Comparison of Grimm AD1 & Merging Technologies Horus - Analog to DSD Converters

(DSD 64 & DSD 128 Stereo)
https://members.nativedsd.com/albums/mendelssohn-session

Mahler Symphony No. 3 Outtake
(DSD 64, DSD 128, DSD 256 Stereo & Surround Sound)
https://justlisten.nativedsd.com/albums/JLBFOMahler3-mahler-symphony-no-3-in-d-minor

Playing the Oppo sampler using Kodi on a Windows 10 NUC, I get a huge pop at the end of each track. Has anyone else experienced this???

Playing the Oppo sampler using Kodi on a Windows 10 NUC, I get a huge pop at the end of each track. Has anyone else experienced this???

There have been some comments on the Kodi Forum about pops between tracks on DSD files on the Kodi Forum.
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=106329&page=17

I played the Multichannel DSD64 edition of the Oppo DSD Sampler with JRiver Media Center 23 and a Windows 10 Laptop with a Core M CPU and it played fine.
No pops.

I'm new to dsd downloads, etc but I have an oppo 103

which one of these downloads should I download to play via usb drive?

Also, can I hook my pc up to the oppo somehow and use foobar to play any of these dl's?

I'm new to dsd downloads, etc but I have an oppo 103

which one of these downloads should I download to play via usb drive?

Also, can I hook my pc up to the oppo somehow and use foobar to play any of these dl's?

With an Oppo 103, you can download the Stereo and Multichannel DSD 64 music files to a USB Drive and the Oppo 103 will play them with the player's internal software.
No music playing software is needed.

I went over to there yesterday and downloaded both the stereo and the multichannel files. The stereo works fine. But the multi is broken. I sent them an email last night, but haven't received a reply yet. I tried downloading the multi twice, but got the same result. What happens is first of all, on the page where I downloaded it from, it says "Multi DSD Album (2.51 GB)". Both times I downloaded it I got 1.99 GB.
Then when I tried to unzip it I got the message "1771_NDSD010-oppo-dsd-sampler_multi.zip. The archive is either in unknown format or damaged".

I went over to there yesterday and downloaded both the stereo and the multichannel files. The stereo works fine. But the multi is broken. I sent them an email last night, but haven't received a reply yet. I tried downloading the multi twice, but got the same result. What happens is first of all, on the page where I downloaded it from, it says "Multi DSD Album (2.51 GB)". Both times I downloaded it I got 1.99 GB.
Then when I tried to unzip it I got the message "1771_NDSD010-oppo-dsd-sampler_multi.zip. The archive is either in unknown format or damaged".

It sounds like you have an incomplete download of the ZIP file for the Oppo DSD Sampler in Multichannel DSD64.
I downloaded it here and the ZIP is indeed 2.51GB in size. Unzips and plays correctly.

Native DSD - Oppo Sampler - Multichannel ZIP File Download File Size.png

Best bet is to give the multichannel DSD64 download another try.

It sounds like you have an incomplete download of the ZIP file for the Oppo DSD Sampler in Multichannel DSD64.
I downloaded it here and the ZIP is indeed 2.51GB in size. Unzips and plays correctly.

View attachment 30404

Best bet is to give the multichannel DSD64 download another try.

While I haven't downloaded this particular file, a few weeks ago, I had very similar troubles downloading a multi-channel file. Eventually, I rebooted my PC and it worked fine. Not sure what the deal was honestly.

While I haven't downloaded this particular file, a few weeks ago, I had very similar troubles downloading a multi-channel file. Eventually, I rebooted my PC and it worked fine. Not sure what the deal was honestly.

File downloads can get interrupted from time to time.
I've had best results using the Firefox browser and the Down Them All Firefox Extension. Mentioned in one of the "Brian's Corner" blog posts.

It's donationware. I liked it well enough I sent the developer the $10 contribution he requested! :)

Down Them All.jpg

http://blog.nativedsd.com/brians-corner-new-year-dsd/

GOS - Thanks for the info, although you confuse me....you say "While I haven't downloaded this particular file", what you show above is the info for the file I'm trying to download!

BMOURA - I thought "FIrefox" is for McIntosh, not Windows????

Yesterday I tried about EIGHT times to download this! Most times I continually got 1.99 GB, once 1.55 GB, and once 500MB. NativeDSD got back to me and told me the problem was the program I was trying to unzip with (I just right clicked and selected "extract files". I assume that's the Windows7 built in unzipper, right? Nativedsd told me I should use a program called "7Zip". So I downloaded it and tried it. It gave me the same error message I wrote above, but it DID extract files! But I did nothing with them for fear they may screw up my Oppo, or may somehow have an embedded virus.
Since you guys are talking about the browser (I don't see why that should have anything to do with it), I am now trying MS Internet explorer instead of my built-in AOL browser. For some strange reason, even though I started the download from the Nativedsd web site, IE said it was downloading from "s3.amazonaws.com! It also gives me a nice little window that shows % done, time left, and a pause button, and tells me the file is 2.52 GB, things I didn't have using the aol browser (which is built on IE). It will take a little over 2 hrs to complete, and at this point I'm at 30%. I'll post later on the progress.

Thank you both for your suggestions. Apparently Nativedsd customer service hasn't a clue!

GOS - Thanks for the info, although you confuse me....you say "While I haven't downloaded this particular file", what you show above is the info for the file I'm trying to download!

Yesterday I tried about EIGHT times to download this! Most times I continually got 1.99 GB, once 1.55 GB, and once 500MB. NativeDSD got back to me and told me the problem was the program I was trying to unzip with (I just right clicked and selected "extract files". I assume that's the Windows7 built in unzipper, right? Nativedsd told me I should use a program called "7Zip". So I downloaded it and tried it. It gave me the same error message I wrote above, but it DID extract files! But I did nothing with them for fear they may screw up my Oppo, or may somehow have an embedded virus.
Since you guys are talking about the browser (I don't see why that should have anything to do with it), I am now trying MS Internet explorer instead of my built-in AOL browser. For some strange reason, even though I started the download from the Nativedsd web site, IE said it was downloading from "s3.amazonaws.com! It also gives me a nice little window that shows % done, time left, and a pause button, and tells me the file is 2.52 GB, things I didn't have using the aol browser (which is built on IE). It will take a little over 2 hrs to complete, and at this point I'm at 30%. I'll post later on the progress.

Thank you both for your suggestions. Apparently Nativedsd customer service hasn't a clue!

That wasn't my picture, I think I was replying to someone else, who took that screenshot. :)

That wasn't my picture, I think I was replying to someone else, who took that screenshot. :)

That was my screenshot showing the Multichannel DSD64 edition of the Oppo DSD Sampler.
I've successfully downloaded all of the versions of the Oppo DSD Sampler here (Stereo DSD64, Stereo DSD128, Stereo DSD256, Multi DSD64, Multi DSD128, Multi256).

Thank you both for your suggestions.

The Firefox web browser is available for computers running the Windows, Mac OS and Linux.
In addition to smartphones running Apple IOS and Android.
http://www.mozilla.org/mozilla/firefox

I have had the best results when downloading music files with the Firefox web browser with the Down Them All and Dwn Them All Fix extensions installed with Windows 10.
That is true for sites that provide music download files as ZIP archives such as Blue Coast and NativeDSD Music.

Firefox.png

7 Zip is an excellent free ZIP utility. It allows you to create ZIP archives, uncompress them and test them.
What you describe sounds like a case where only a portion of the file was successfully downloaded vs. the entire file.

The files say "s3.amazonaws.com" because they are hosted on the S3 Amazon Cloud. It does not mean that they have a virus.
The .DSF files should work fine on Oppo models with DSD file playback. You can copy the .DSF files that were unzipped to date to a USB drive and try them out on your Oppo.

Good luck with your downloading and listening.

My OPPO BDP-103 is able to play the DSD64 2.0 and MC, but none of the other files. I'm not even sure what DXD is!

Anyway, DSD64 sounds pretty good.

The Oppo 103 doesn't support the higher DSD bit rate files (DSD128, DSD256).

DXD is an editing format developed by Philips that later became to be used for recordings and releases.
DXD playback is not supported on the Oppo 103.

What is DXD?
DXD or Digital eXtreme Definition is historically a post-production process developed by Philips and used by Merging Technologies to enable editing and post-production of DSD recordings. In the past several years it has also been implemented as a deliverable audio format.

DXD is very high bit rate PCM audio (352.8KHz 24 or 32 bit) that we believe is the best and least destructive format for post processing DSD originated digital recordings using the technology in workstations available today. Unless mixing and balancing are performed in analog prior to digitizing (as with an Analog to DSD or DSD Pure recording), post processing is a requirement of a multi-microphone recording session, particularly of large ensembles. Most new DSD recordings released today are made with multiple microphones that are digitally recorded, then level balanced and mixed in DXD during post production, yielding a DXD edited master. That’s then followed by converting back to DSD for consumer delivery.

http://blog.nativedsd.com/sell-albums-multiple-dsd-bit-rates-dxd/

Back