Oppo vs Sony for SACD, DVD-Audio, etc.?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Oppo 980 is Awesome also :banana:

Pretty sure the advantages of the 980 over the 981 or 970 would not be worth the extra cost for me. I'm just concerned about SACD and DVD-A 5.1 capability.

Pretty sure the advantages of the 980 over the 981 or 970 would not be worth the extra cost for me. I'm just concerned about SACD and DVD-A 5.1 capability.

Not sure what advantages you are referring to........It plays the SACD and DVD-A 5.1, DTS and any dts, dvd 5.1 or stereo hi res disc I have burned myself that I throw at it.

Guess its one step below the 981 and a step ahead of the 970........

The 980 goes for relatively cheap on Ebay - 40 to 60 bux used usually sometimes cheaper sometimes a lil more depending. :cool:

Not sure what advantages you are referring to........It plays the SACD and DVD-A 5.1, DTS and any dts, dvd 5.1 or stereo hi res disc I have burned myself that I throw at it.

Guess its one step below the 981 and a step ahead of the 970........

The 980 goes for relatively cheap on Ebay - 40 to 60 bux used usually sometimes cheaper sometimes a lil more depending. :cool:

What I've ready sounds like the 980 overall has more features than 981 and 970 - and it has been more expensive in the little research I've done.

Here's an example of some posts saying the 980 has the most features: http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/oppo-dv-980-vs-dv-981.37896/

It's all at a glance, so I might have missed something. I mean, if I saw a 980 for cheaper than the others, I'd probably buy it - but they all seem to do what I want, so I'll get the cheapest I can find.

Does it have to be Sony or Oppo? I've got a Pioneer BD player that plays SACD and DVD-A. It can also send DSD over HDMI and my receiver can, err, receive it. Otherwise many players can convert to PCM before sending over HDMI if the receiver requires that.

I had a Oppo 980h years ago. Pretty nifty player. The Sony BDP-S6700 is Sony's current top consumer player, and it plays blu-rays, SACDs, and everything else except DVD-Audio (in lossless mode) and 4K blu-rays. It's currently selling for $100, and I think it's actually a pretty underrated player. Not only can it play SACDs, it can play multichannel DSD and PCM downloads at full resolution off USB and possibly network.

The Sony BDP-X800 plays SACD, blu-ray, DVD-Audio (at full resolution), and 4K blu-ray. It's currently selling for $250 and has all the capabilities of the S6700 regarding file playback. It also has two HDMI out and extensive streaming options (as does the 6700).

In your shoes I'd much prefer a new one of those to a new Oppo. I'd also suggest that if money is tight the lossy options on DVD-Audio aren't half bad some of the time and the S6700 might be fine. The Onkyo 646 can accept DSD, but I'm pretty sure it converts it to PCM before outputting it, so it's pretty much a wash compared to converting to PCM in the player.

no issues there it does a great job on both. My 1st oppo was a 970, that little sucker had the best PQ dvd of any machine I ever had.

Well, I've possibly changed my tune a bit. I know people here love Oppo, but I'm actually considering a Sony UBP-X800. I only have a Xbox One S for Blu-ray. It's looking like the Sony UBP-X800 does all the same as the Xbox plus SACD and DVD-A. So, I might get it and sell my Xbox.

I realize the Xbox might have better support for updates, but there are some things I don't like about it - navigating with a controller, some bugs/glitches, etc.

Any thoughts about that?

Well, I've possibly changed my tune a bit. I know people here love Oppo, but I'm actually considering a Sony UBP-X800. I only have a Xbox One S for Blu-ray. It's looking like the Sony UBP-X800 does all the same as the Xbox plus SACD and DVD-A. So, I might get it and sell my Xbox.

I realize the Xbox might have better support for updates, but there are some things I don't like about it - navigating with a controller, some bugs/glitches, etc.

Any thoughts about that?

I don't know anyone that owns it, but for the price and all it does - seems like a no-brainer. Particularly if you have issue with the cost of Oppo counterparts. Which would be about double the cost of this one.

Any thoughts about that?

I have one; I'm using it to replace a Oppo BDP-93 as my transport to my AVR. Aside from 4K discs (where there's still some flux) it's been very solid for me, handling SACD and DVD-A (and blu-ray and blu-ray 3d et al) without problems. The rap against it is that it doesn't have analog outs, but that's not a problem for me.

Does it have to be Sony or Oppo? I've got a Pioneer BD player that plays SACD and DVD-A. It can also send DSD over HDMI and my receiver can, err, receive it. Otherwise many players can convert to PCM before sending over HDMI if the receiver requires that.

What Pioneer model, may I ask?

BDP-450. It's noisy when it loads the disk (akin to an old 3.5" floppy disc drive) but once it's found where's it's playing from it's silent (or as good as) on DVD/SACD and at times I can hear a slight whir on BD, but I haven't picked up on that for a while that I recall. I don't have a very high listening level compared to some.

BDP-450. It's noisey when it loads the disk (akin to an old 3.5" floppy disc drive) but once it's found where's it's playing from it's silent (or as good as) on DVD/SACD and at times I can hear a slight whir on BD, but I haven't picked up on that for a while that I recall. I don't have a very high listening level compared to some.

My first multi-format player was in fact a Pioneer. That was YEARS ago, so I don't recall the model. I recall it being very thin and silver. But I bought it new for $105 on Amazon. I thought it was a total steal! I had it for years before I got into Oppo. :)

I have one; I'm using it to replace a Oppo BDP-93 as my transport to my AVR. Aside from 4K discs (where there's still some flux) it's been very solid for me, handling SACD and DVD-A (and blu-ray and blu-ray 3d et al) without problems. The rap against it is that it doesn't have analog outs, but that's not a problem for me.

Any info about how noisy it is? I have my Xbox in another room because it's pretty loud.

My first multi-format player was in fact a Pioneer. That was YEARS ago, so I don't recall the model. I recall it being very thin and silver. But I bought it new for $105 on Amazon. I thought it was a total steal! I had it for years before I got into Oppo. :)

Mine was also a Pioneer - a DV747A that's still running (I saw it second hand in a shop when a car was in to be worked on), but the analogue out did not suit the analogue in of my last receiver, and there was no option to go DVD-V to take advantage of some of the receiver processing, such diverting the sub channel to the front pair. I use it to split the audio pairs of non BD discs so I can play isolated front pair, rear pair, or centre & sub in the main front LR speakers.

Back