Neo question about connecting Oppo to Sansui QRX 7001

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quad66

Hi, long time fascinated lurker and now that my Sansui QRX-7001 arrived today after a year of patient waiting to find the right one -- grabbed this beauty off that auction site for an astounding 350.00 last week and it's in beautiful working condition -- I knew I'd be here seeking quad wisdom...

However, I am a tech idiot and though I have the four-speakers set-up to hear the glorious vario-matrix at work on my LP's, I can't seem to suss out how to connect my Oppo 103 -- I have no clue which inputs on which side to use...I was able to connect my Oppo tp my previous Fischer 504 quad so I know I'm missing one or two steps or buttons to push, so I would love a basic dummy guide to connecting the Oppo to the Sansui...sometimes these very simple steps are the most complex?

Thanks!

Hi, long time fascinated lurker and now that my Sansui QRX-7001 arrived today after a year of patient waiting to find the right one -- grabbed this beauty off that auction site for an astounding 350.00 last week and it's in beautiful working condition -- I knew I'd be here seeking quad wisdom...

However, I am a tech idiot and though I have the four-speakers set-up to hear the glorious vario-matrix at work on my LP's, I can't seem to suss out how to connect my Oppo 103 -- I have no clue which inputs on which side to use...I was able to connect my Oppo tp my previous Fischer 504 quad so I know I'm missing one or two steps or buttons to push, so I would love a basic dummy guide to connecting the Oppo to the Sansui...sometimes these very simple steps are the most complex?

Thanks!
Oppo is analog out 7/1 hook up the appropriate line to the right input, shut off the sub and center, all signals will be steered to the 4 you use.

Thanks so much for the reply...

My problem is not knowing exactly where to connect the RCA inputs from the Oppo to the Sansui -- there's a two-channel side and four channel side on the back and I tried to hook up four RCA cables into the inputs but can't seem to get any sound (I'm only using four speakers, no sub, no center, so I don't need the other inputs).

I assume the AUX button has to be pressed to hear the Oppo but I can't figure out why I'm not getting any sound (this RCA configure worked fine on my Fischer) unless there's a button I'm missing...I guess there's the possibility the aux may not be working but I won't accept since the receiver is in barely used gorgeous condition (can't get over how I scored this for a little over 300 bucks...)...

So what would be the proper idiot's RCA config from Oppo to Sansui using which inputs?

I'll add a little more flesh to what leevitalone said just for clarification (and because GOS apparently wants you to hook this up properly).

After taking a look at a snapshot of the rear panel, it appears the QRX-7001 has provisions for two quad tape monitors, a quad AUX component, and a turntable.

There are two identical sets of RCA inputs: the first set is for the front inputs and a second set is for the right inputs. Within these sets, the top row of connectors are for the left channels and the bottom row is for the right channels.

Using the AUX inputs on the QRX-7001 only, connect the analog outs from the Oppo as follows:

FL Oppo output to QRX 7001 Aux left front input
FR Oppo output to QRX 7001 Aux right front input
SL Oppo output to QRX 7001 Aux left rear input
SR Oppo output to QRX 7001 Aux right rear input

Tho Oppo jacks labeled as C, SW, SBL and SBR are not used (You can use SW with a powered subwoofer in the system however).

In the setup menu for the Oppo, go to speaker configuration. Using the size option, set the C SW SBL and SBR speakers to "off". Set all others to "large" . Adjust the distances and levels as you normally would.

On the QRX-7001: Select AUX as the source. Be sure there are no tape monitors engaged. Choose the "cd-4/4-ch direct" option on the function switch. Be sure you have chosen the right set of speakers for what you have hooked up.

That's it I think. Play a 5.1 disk in the Oppo. The center should be blended into the front L/R channels. The LFE channel will be blended into all of the four channels you have connected. With a sub, all low bass including the LFE will be routed to the subwoofer.

Let us know how you make out. Here is a link to the owners manual if you haven't already got it.

EDIT: Just because the unit looks great doesn't mean it is functioning properly. The amp section could be fried and the unit would still look good. Can you get any sound out of it at all? Put the unit in stereo mode and try the AM/FM tuner section as an input. Do you get sound? if yes, put it in QS synthesizer mode. Do you get sound from all four speakers?

I'll add a little more flesh to what leevitalone said just for clarification (and because GOS apparently wants you to hook this up properly).

After taking a look at a snapshot of the rear panel, it appears the QRX-7001 has provisions for two quad tape monitors, a quad AUX component, and a turntable.

There are two identical sets of RCA inputs: the first set is for the front inputs and a second set is for the right inputs. Within these sets, the top row of connectors are for the left channels and the bottom row is for the right channels.

Using the AUX inputs on the QRX-7001 only, connect the analog outs from the Oppo as follows:

FL Oppo output to QRX 7001 Aux left front input
FR Oppo output to QRX 7001 Aux right front input
SL Oppo output to QRX 7001 Aux left rear input
SR Oppo output to QRX 7001 Aux right rear input

Tho Oppo jacks labeled as C, SW, SBL and SBR are not used (You can use SW with a powered subwoofer in the system however).

In the setup menu for the Oppo, go to speaker configuration. Using the size option, set the C SW SBL and SBR speakers to "off". Set all others to "large" . Adjust the distances and levels as you normally would.

On the QRX-7001: Select AUX as the source. Be sure there are no tape monitors engaged. Choose the "cd-4/4-ch direct" option on the function switch. Be sure you have chosen the right set of speakers for what you have hooked up.

That's it I think. Play a 5.1 disk in the Oppo. The center should be blended into the front L/R channels. The LFE channel will be blended into all of the four channels you have connected. With a sub, all low bass including the LFE will be routed to the subwoofer.

Let us know how you make out. Here is a link to the owners manual if you haven't already got it.

EDIT: Just because the unit looks great doesn't mean it is functioning properly. The amp section could be fried and the unit would still look good. Can you get any sound out of it at all? Put the unit in stereo mode and try the AM/FM tuner section as an input. Do you get sound? if yes, put it in QS synthesizer mode. Do you get sound from all four speakers?

Wow, what a great all-purpose response! Thank you!

I think the problem may be in the Oppo menu set up. The unit is hooked up now to four Klipsich speakers and all the switches/quad buttons work and the Synth Surround is ear candy, so everything works as far as I can tell but when I get back home later I'll follow your RCA set-up guide which I actually tried already to no avail -- the immediate problem is also my new iphone update does not work with my Oppo media player anymore!

Thanks again and I'll update once I get this together...

"Hey, maybe I should try the volume button on the Oppo remote...EUREKA!"

For me it's always the little stupid things...thanks all!

Now I'm enjoying The Best Of The Doors in glorious four-channel Sansui QRX 7001 sound...I may never leave my quadcave...

Back